Mens Tennis Forums banner

What was the MAIN reason for Andy's loss?

• He just had a bad day

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • He wasn't adequately prepared for the match

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • His game is worse than it use to be

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • Muller was too good

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Lack of confidence

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Injury/fatigue

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, he may have lost in the 1st round of grand slams before but surely this has to be, by far, the biggest disappointment of Andy's career. I'm sure there were many reasons for last night's shock but what is the biggest cause of Andy's recent decline?

1. Was it just not his day? Did the luck turn against him? Maybe he just woke up yesterday without the winning feeling.

2. Was his preparation for the match to blame? Maybe, having never played Muller before, he just didn't know what to expect. Did he not do his homework? Is his coach possibly to blame for this?

3. Since this isn't the 1st time this summer he has lost to a relatively low ranked player, is there something else to blame? Is his game not what it use to be? Would he have beaten Muller playing the way he did back in 2003? His serve seemed to be working but what about his forehand and his return of serve?

4. Maybe Gilles Muller is the cause. Was he just unbeatable yesterday? Was he having a good day or was this his big breakthrough?

5. Maybe it's purely mental. Was Andy's confidence too low?

6. Maybe it's purely physical. Was he still injured or tired?

7. Is there another reason?

I know there is no single reason but what, do you think, was the most important cause of this upset?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
he needs to improve defensive skills ....go from defense to offense....seriously...if he can recover a lot better...than andy would be tough...in one word...he needs to be tougher....not better

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
With no one to give him a roadmap I think Andy thought Muller was going to roll over and play dead. Instead Muller, who had nothing to lose, handed Andy a big can of whoopass.

Andy has to decide if he wants to be a top five player. If he does, he has to improve his game. What worked before isn't working. Or maybe he needs to get that crispness back in his strokes that he had under Brad Gilbert. I know Steffi hated Brad Gilbert and got him away from Andre but Roddick needs him, or someone like him who will ride his butt and not blow smoke up it.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think back to Hewitt in 2003. He hit rock bottom after loosing to Karlovic in the 1st round of Wimbledon. It was said that he was also trying to improve his game so that he could compete on the slower surfaces, at the Aus Open and Roland Garros. Unfortunately, it took him out of his comfort zone and his results got worse as a consequence.

I wonder if Andy is making a similar mistake. He's clearly been trying to change and improve his game so that he can compete with Federer but it hasn't worked out. His results have been getting worse ever since he started to volley more. He's also been playing more defensive this year. Like yesterday, he was rallying and waiting for Muller to hit the errors rather than going for winners himself. This style just doesn't suit Andy and I think he must go back to doing what he was good at.

Maybe he needs to accept that, while Federer is at his peak, he won't be able to beat him but he can try, like Hewitt, to beat everyone else.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Jimnik said:
Think back to Hewitt in 2003. He hit rock bottom after loosing to Karlovic in the 1st round of Wimbledon. It was said that he was also trying to improve his game so that he could compete on the slower surfaces, at the Aus Open and Roland Garros. Unfortunately, it took him out of his comfort zone and his results got worse as a consequence.

I wonder if Andy is making a similar mistake. He's clearly been trying to change and improve his game so that he can compete with Federer but it hasn't worked out. His results have been getting worse ever since he started to volley more. He's also been playing more defensive this year. Like yesterday, he was rallying and waiting for Muller to hit the errors rather than going for winners himself. This style just doesn't suit Andy and I think he must go back to doing what he was good at.

Maybe he needs to accept that, while Federer is at his peak, he won't be able to beat him but he can try, like Hewitt, to beat everyone else.
Yeah but comparing Hewitt and Andy mentally is like comparing onions and chocolate. Hewitt has the never die, and fight until the end attitude Andy doesnt.

Also a big part of Andys problem is that his power game used to work well in 2003. Most players with the exception of Fed and Hewitt were clueless on how to handle his power, and huge serve. Its not cutting it anymorwe when players like Mathieu and Bracciali are returning his 144MPH serves and as winners at times :eek: That used to be Fed and Hewitts territory not anymore

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oneandonlyhsn said:
Yeah but comparing Hewitt and Andy mentally is like comparing onions and chocolate. Hewitt has the never die, and fight until the end attitude Andy doesnt.

Also a big part of Andys problem is that his power game used to work well in 2003. Most players with the exception of Fed and Hewitt were clueless on how to handle his power, and huge serve. Its not cutting it anymorwe when players like Mathieu and Bracciali are returning his 144MPH serves and as winners at times :eek: That used to be Fed and Hewitts territory not anymore
I'm not convinced that it has anything to do with the serve. I think his serve is just as effective as it's always been. Most players can't cope but Hewitt and Federer can - just about. His biggest problem has been his forehand, I don't think he hit any big forehand shots yesterday.

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
he wasn't good enuf to win and muller was good enuf

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
He'll probably go home, have sex with some models, enjoy his millions....life isn't all that bad.:)

But seriously, he needs to have more belief in the Fh like he did in 2003, he needs to work on having at least an average BH and be able to move people on the baseline so he doesn't get pinned on his Bh, and work on his return so he can put pressure on his opponent mnore than once in ever 8 return games.

I really think we will be seeing a coaching change.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
dont have sex with models....just invite me over, im just as hot!
but change coaches first!....crawl and beg brad to come back or get ur self a sports phycologist and lets go already your too good to be wasting time with shit like this........"LETS GO RODDICK....LETS GO RODDICK!"

-some of us love your stanky ass no matter what :wavey:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
someone had to bring this up: he lost his mojo.

maybe it was an amexco curse...

seriously, it just shows that everyone is learning how to play andy these days. just like the time when the williams sisters ruled the world and everyone was scared of them. but now, everyone else learned how to play them. andy's in a similar situation.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
amierin said:
With no one to give him a roadmap I think Andy thought Muller was going to roll over and play dead. Instead Muller, who had nothing to lose, handed Andy a big can of whoopass.

Andy has to decide if he wants to be a top five player. If he does, he has to improve his game. What worked before isn't working. Or maybe he needs to get that crispness back in his strokes that he had under Brad Gilbert. I know Steffi hated Brad Gilbert and got him away from Andre but Roddick needs him, or someone like him who will ride his butt and not blow smoke up it.
off topic: steffi was the reason andre split with brad? :confused:

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Andy needs to stop with all the games and just drop to his knees and ask Roger to marry him. They love each other, and they are so effing cute togther. Its so obvious somehow its affecting Andy more than Roger, come on Andy Sharapova is a poor substitute

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
oneandonlyhsn said:
Andy needs to stop with all the games and just drop to his knees and ask Roger to marry him. They love each other, and they are so effing cute togther. Its so obvious somehow its affecting Andy more than Roger, come on Andy Sharapova is a poor substitute

you got that right for sure....if andy and roger do finnaly
"DO THE RIGHT THING" & get it on i wanna watch-
i know im not the only girl (or guy) who feels this way....now that would be great for tennis...hot hairy man on hot smoother man action- i like it! :angel:

·
Registered
698 Posts
I mean this is blown out of all proportion, ok he has lost in the first rnd of his home grand slam, it happens, it was only two weeks ago he put Hewitt firmly in his place in Cinncy, he will remain in top 4 or five for the near future. Roddick is fine he had a bad day at the office, everyone has one he will be back for a bigger and better challenge in the coming years.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i havent watched this match so cant really put any comments,
but i guess lost a match in 3 tie breaks was just really really bad luck.......

·
Registered
662 Posts
skel1983 said:
I mean this is blown out of all proportion, ok he has lost in the first rnd of his home grand slam, it happens, it was only two weeks ago he put Hewitt firmly in his place in Cinncy, he will remain in top 4 or five for the near future. Roddick is fine he had a bad day at the office, everyone has one he will be back for a bigger and better challenge in the coming years.
No, I don't think that's true. The Hewitt match was close and Hewitt was not playing his best, recovering as he is from injury earlier in the year. Roddick has had more than a bad day. More like a bad two years for someone who was once #1. I'll be surprised if he is back to anything like former glory. Look at the young ones coming along!

·
Registered
120 Posts
partygirl said:
you got that right for sure....if andy and roger do finnaly
"DO THE RIGHT THING" & get it on i wanna watch-
i know im not the only girl (or guy) who feels this way....now that would be great for tennis...hot hairy man on hot smoother man action- i like it! :angel:
Partygirl,
What would I do without you?

Your amazing, love.

Just splendid.

Hot man action--count me in!

·
Registered
698 Posts
euroka1 said:
No, I don't think that's true. The Hewitt match was close and Hewitt was not playing his best, recovering as he is from injury earlier in the year. Roddick has had more than a bad day. More like a bad two years for someone who was once #1. I'll be surprised if he is back to anything like former glory. Look at the young ones coming along!

Former glory??

You talk as if he was dominating the game even in 03, when Federer didn't start to play till Wimbledon he won back to backTMS and Us open, he has never dominated the game he had a good summer in 03 when things went his way, but former glorys??? he has been in back to back Wimbledon Final's, is that not an achievment in it's self, he has been beaton by one of the best players that has ever lived in both final's, he is always there at the business end of majority of big events, you go on as if he has 5 GS under his belt and has just fallen from number 1 ranking??? i am very confused, how his he going to be constintly winning GS with Federer about, if he wasn't about Roddick would be 1 or 2 in the world going into events as possibly favourite especially Grass and possibly hard court.

Roddick is a solid player with his game will always be in with a chance of winning GS if Federer is not about, he had a bad day.

The Hewitt match?? did you see that game, Hewitt did not have a sniff on Roddicks serve, he totally outplayed him.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts