Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The illustrious list of One handed backhands and the best ones is really not that large.

I'm curious where MTF ranks Thiem's one handed backhand in the ATG list of backhands? Is it top 5? Not even Top 10? Average?

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
397 Posts
Not in top 5.
Out of the ones I've seen in my 20+ years watching tennis:

Wawrinka
Federer
Gasquet
Gaudio
Haas
Kohlschreiber
Kuerton

·
Your visions will happen
48,531 Posts
It's already up there already imo

Never seen a 1hbh with such controlled and easy power

Wawrinka yes and also he has a better slice than Thiem

Gasquet yes but not always

Gaudio yes but only clay

I think Thiem has a chance to prove he has the best 1 hander ever over next 10 years

·
Registered
384 Posts
It's already up there already imo

Never seen a 1hbh with such controlled and easy power

Wawrinka yes and also he has a better slice than Thiem

Gasquet yes but not always

Gaudio yes but only clay

I think Thiem has a chance to prove he has the best 1 hander ever over next 10 years
Kuerten would be the best of all time. Followed by the names you've mentioned. Federer as well , though for obv reasons, he had issues as well, but overall his backhand was pretty effective .

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It’s a strong shot but he needs more variety off the wing. He’s excellent with it on slower surfaces but his huge wind up causes him to struggle on fast surfaces as evidenced by his early round losses at Wimby. As of now, I’d put it top 10.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Wawrinka and Kuerten are better. Gasquet probably is a bit ahead. Gaudio, well, as it was mentioned already it was brilliant on one surface but considerably inferior on others so hard to judge. He did have a brilliant performance when he almost beat Federer in Canada but you can probably find one-offs for every other player. Haas and Kohli are slightly inferior imo. Almagro deserves a shout too.

·
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me

1) Wawrinka
2) Keurten
3) Federer
4) Gasquet
5) Thiem
6) Haas
7) Gaudio
8) Kohlschrieber
9) Almagro
10) James Blake

·
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mikhail Youzhny's backhand was better than James Blake IMO. Same goes for Cedric Pioline.
Forgot about Colonel , fantastic Backhand

·
Banned
693 Posts

The illustrious list of One handed backhands and the best ones is really not that large.

I'm curious where MTF ranks Thiem's one handed backhand in the ATG list of backhands? Is it top 5? Not even Top 10? Average?

What are your thoughts?
Top 5. with Kuerten at #1... you know the rest.

But I never liked it - IMO, two-hander is an easier, less complicated, quicker to setup shot, and allows much better body momentum transfer and direction control. It's much easier to attack & push the player back by attacking his OH backhand.
That being said - one has to appreciate the elegance of it, especially with Roger.
Two Handers are at advantage even against the best OHs.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts

What are your thoughts?

Nowhere near top 5.

·
justice for all
15,121 Posts
Topspin - top3 of all time, has the variety, can play it with much spin, flat it out and find great angles if needed, very stable both cross-court and DTL. Previously it was a liability with too big of a swing but Dominic learned how to play effectively closer to the baseline as well. However, Stan's topspin BH is clearly better and for me the best
Slice - needs improvement, hasn't got enough bite and has a bit too much air in it and can get too short at times, here Fed's the best

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Still more prone to run around BH to unleash FH ala his mentor Nadal so maybe it’s a Clay conditioned thing more than anything else so that probably drops him out of top 5 or top 10 & below Gasquet although he’s obviously the overall superior player.

·
Super Moderator
8,828 Posts
Not in top 5.
Out of the ones I've seen in my 20+ years watching tennis:

Wawrinka
Federer
Gasquet
Gaudio
Haas
Kohlschreiber
Kuerton
Apart from Kohlschreiber I agree with the list. He’s around 7th/8th because of his quite pish bh slice by his standards. When Thiem’s bh is on I guess it can challenge a top3 spot, although Gasquet’s peak bh is really something divine.

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
It's not even top 10, hitting something at 150km/h is only one element of a groundstroke.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
When I think of a top 10 it doesn't even pop into my head. Realistically, he's got to be outside the top 25.

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
He's not in the top 10. His BH is his weaker shot and far too error prone to be considered at the top.

Of the current players, it's Gasquet and Wawrinka in a bit of a league of their own. Then you've got guys like Kohlschriber, Cuevas, Cecchinato, Federer, Evans (the slice), Lajovic, and Tsitsipas after that.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
If Thiem had Gasquets/Wawrinkas BH, he would have won the last 10 Slams at least. Including the French Open this year, even though it wasn't played. That's how good he would be.

·
Your visions will happen
48,531 Posts
Topspin bh arguably 2ne best on tour imo after Stan

I agree the slice needs to improve

Love Richie but gotta disagree. His BH is great but that court position is so poor is doesn't matter

Mentioning Kohli and Cuevas, etc. Just stop

Big time agree with whoever said Nico Almagro, he had a bomb BH. Whole game actually save for the mental

1 - 20 of 43 Posts