Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me that Fernando mentioned this year that he would continue his career for two years. Is it true? Does anybody have any information about his possible retirement date?

·
Registered
57,587 Posts
I seem to recall hearing that as well, though I'd think that most eligible players would wait til 2020 so they can play the Olympics. Then again, he might feel he's already done that.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The Spaniards seem to keep going till they can't anymore. Robredo is still out there, F Lopez is 37. Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo might still be out there hustling. Verdasco will go until he feels he can't hang in the top 100 is my guess. It's interesting how so many over 35 guys keep going.

Back in the mid 90s the senior tour consisted of mostly guys under 35, Krickstein, Arias, Wilander. Why those guys quit so early is curious. Rios and Rafter also quit before 30. Rios actually was considering a comeback this year.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
he shouldn't for a while, hopefully. the guy is still extremely competitive and capable of upsetting top players. Which is impressive given his age. Would be a big loss to the tour if he goes anytime soon. Verdasco is a name that makes a draw more interesting, not an opponent top players hope to see early in a slam

·
Registered
491 Posts
Two more years sounds about right.

·
10,269 Posts
Verdasco was blessed physically in comparison to many athletes in their 30s. He has had almost no injuries in his career and is in more in shape than anyone on MTF.

With that said. Probably until 2020

1 - 11 of 11 Posts