Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Djokovic is about to become a father and family man and Rafa is on a decline with all his health injuries.

Their dominance at the top of the game is marked.

And up until now, young generation players have disappointed. (aging era guys like Wawrinka winning a slam and Tsonga winning a master this year, says it all).

So are we heading into another transitional era after Djoko and Rafa are done with the top of the game like we had after Sampras/Agassi?

And if so, will this transitional era have a champion who will start dominating in the void left before the greats of the future are fully done developing?

What are your opinions on this?

Let the Transition Games begin.......

·
Registered
301 Posts
Djokovic is about to become a father and family man and Rafa is on a decline with all his health injuries.

Their dominance at the top of the game is marked.

And up until now, young generation players have disappointed. (aging era guys like Wawrinka winning a slam and Tsonga winning a master this year, says it all).

So are we heading into another transitional era after Djoko and Rafa are done with the top of the game like we had after Sampras/Agassi?

And if so, will this transitional era have a champion who will start dominating in the void left before the greats of the future are fully done developing?

What are your opinions on this?

Let the Transition Games begin.......
Well as far as I know aa transition period is a period when nobody dominates. Judging by this, the last transition period was 2000-2003. Not a single one of today's young players has a dominant quality

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as far as I know aa transition period is a period when nobody dominates. Judging by this, the last transition period was 2000-2003. Not a single one of today's young players has a dominant quality
A transitional period is a period in which there are no true all-time greats, but that doesn't mean that someone cannot dominate in this period just by being better than the current competition (comprised of past their prime players and young guns who are no good).

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Ferrer is saving himself for a maiden slam in 2016 :sport:
I can't see any player dominating but in 2 years I expect Raonic/Thiem/Janowicz/Kyrgios to start winning slams and I think Dimitrov will struggle a lot before winning his first slam if he keeps his defensive mentality there'll always be the risk he falls against an aggressive opponent on fire.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The "next generation" is going to be a poor one let's just leave it at that. Heck it already is. A quick scan of the rankings show that the only guys currently in the top 20 younger than 25 are Milos Raonic and Grigor Dimitrov. And neither one of those guys are impressive. At least not to me.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
They're already in it, 2014 is the first year of the transitional era.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Sampras/Agassi strong era

Transitional weak era Federer

Nadal/Djokovic strong era

Transitional weak era Tomic?

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tennis entered a transitional era in 2008, still waiting for a change.
Federer stands as the last true dominator of tennis.
Funny you should say that since 2008, some guy won 2 slams and an olympic gold medal and 2010 was the year the same man won three slams on three different surfaces in the same calendar year (the "SURFACE SLAM"), a rarest of rare feat in tennis.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Ginepri is a genius, he will peak in 2015 and collect titles and glory for himself.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I think the last transitional champion was Hewitt. In the early 2000s the media made a big deal about him yet he did NOT have the power. Once Federer got mentally tough he blew the competition away UNTIL Nadal came along.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
give it a few years. if ferrer is patient enough he can wait for nole, rafa and fed to retire and win everything at age of 40 considering how bad are young players now

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Botnictrov era 2016-2022.
Come back and look at this in 10 years. It'll be as ridiculous as all the predictions circa 2002-2003 that Ferrero and Roddick would dominate for the next ten years.

·
6,249 Posts
Hardly a transition era just yet, Djoker and Nadal still have a huge points lead in the Top 2, Federer is still thereabouts, although Murray is now struggling.
Too early to say Djoker has switched off in motivation, and Nadal will be targeting USO and esp the AO.
IMO order will be restored at the USO, as it was at RG and Wimbledon.
Would say by the middle of next year things will be changing, Wimbledon is often the place newcomers make their move, especially somebody like Raonic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts