• He doesn't win anymore slams than RG

Votes: 36 42.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If he wants to break the all time slam record, he can't keep relying on his Roland Garros dominance. He would have to win another slam somewhere else, to keep the balance when he inevitably will lose in Roland Garros. It may not happen in 2015, or in 2016. but if he doesn't win anymore anywhere else, he'd have to win 4 more there.

So assuming he doesn't win 4 more RG, to break the record where does he win if he breaks the record?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is bumped for the guys posting on the 17-14 slam thread

Also, the Nadal-Fed is still missing a rivalry match. The US Open. We all know Nadal whips Fed in RG, and likewise Fed at Wimbledon. In Australia, Nadal beat Fed all 3 times but very competitive matches.

Is that what will happen in NY, or can he beat Nadal in NY

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rafa will do better at Wimbledon than last year, it's a given. But he's not winning this one

·
Registered
744 Posts
I hope Wimbledon. I'm not holding out hope for anything.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rafa has infinitely better competition outside Roland Garros. An off day Rafa alone is still more than enough at Roland Garros The off moments he suffered there will keep him from winning slams outside. Not as severely as his 2005-07 form, but it's clearly not the out of this world form he displayed in 2008-09 and 2013.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Considering he was lucky to even win RG this year, I seriously doubt he will win anything apart from another 1 maybe 2 RGs, and even that could be pushing it if he continues the way he is. His tennis has been under-par for a long time now and his health issues don't seem to go away, and it's not like his style of tennis is particularly gentle on his body. Beginning of the end IMO. Slow and steady decline over the next couple years, potentially hurried along by chronic injury and a greater rise of young players (Wawa, Dolgo, Gulbis, etc etc) who will push him on court.
Fed's 17 title record is safe :)

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Rafa has infinitely better competition outside Roland Garros. An off day Rafa alone is still more than enough at Roland Garros The off moments he suffered there will keep him from winning slams outside. Not as severely as his 2005-07 form, but it's clearly not the out of this world form he displayed in 2008-09 and 2013.
That's why an quite out form rafa still made it to wimbledon finals? rafa has played 3 out the last 4 slam finals.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's why an quite out form rafa still made it to wimbledon finals? rafa has played 3 out the last 4 slam finals.
The last time Rafa made the finals, his biggest competition was Novak and Fed. This year, it's those two plus Murray who's finally come through twice since his last Wimbledon final, Wawrinka who beat him in Australia. I'm not among those who think Wawrinka's year is over.

Also players who Rafa beat in RG are more viable in Wimbledon due to their serve. Raonic, Isner. Kolb, Tsonga. He can't run through the players he beat at RG here, so if he's off his game there, he will lose.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
As of now Rafa is the clear favourite in 3 out of 4 slams (AO, RG, USO), and if he gets to second week at Wimbledon you should consider him favourite there as well, so he'll have lots of chances.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
480 Posts
Considering he was lucky to even win RG this year, I seriously doubt he will win anything apart from another 1 maybe 2 RGs, and even that could be pushing it if he continues the way he is. His tennis has been under-par for a long time now and his health issues don't seem to go away, and it's not like his style of tennis is particularly gentle on his body. Beginning of the end IMO. Slow and steady decline over the next couple years, potentially hurried along by chronic injury and a greater rise of young players (Wawa, Dolgo, Gulbis, etc etc) who will push him on court.
Lucky to win RG?? lol. The guy dropped 2 sets the whole tourney. Never was pushed to 5 sets.

Oh btw Stan is 29...lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd like to see Rafa win Wimbledon, but sadly don't think it will be this year. However I think Rafa will win the US this year and AO next year.

·
Registered
57 Posts
and a greater rise of young players (Wawa, Dolgo, Gulbis, etc etc) who will push him on court.
Wawarinka is older than Nadal
Dolgopolov and Gulbis are only 2 and a bit years younger than Nadal

So they better hurry up if they're going to start pushing him. Stan only won AO this year because of injury

1 - 20 of 60 Posts