Mens Tennis Forums banner

When will Novak lose his #1 ranking (even for a week)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Grigor has dumped Sharapova.

Grigor has also thrown away that fitness trainer.

Grigor has also seen practising past Tennis legend.

Fully Enjoy your remaining weeks No1e because those are few.
:haha:

He is a treat as mush as Bouchard is on WTA. They should get together now. :wavey:

BTW Sharapova dumped his sorry cheating ass. Not the other way around.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Things happen quickly in tennis.
We just don't know. We don't wish ill things to happen to players but nevertheless they happen.

Federer was #1 in mid-late 2012, winning 6 titles that year, then Djokovic took it back at year's end.
Federer in 2013 was a shadow of himself with some back troubles and won only a single title and finished 2013 at #6, while Nadal rose and won almost everything in sight other than Wimbledon and ended 2013 at #1.

Rafa stayed at #2 into 2014, but after Roland Garros that year, had various physical problems and has done little since and has dropped to #10 in 2015. Meanwhile Federer came back in 2014 and made 11 finals winning 5 to be a solid contender for #1 at the end of the year, finishing a solid #2.

Andy Murray won Wimbledon in 2013 but then had back surgery in the early fall and wasn't right for at least a year, only coming back close to his best form this year. He hasn't been able to beat the top 2 lately, but he's been consistent and the best of the rest.

In the meantime, since 2011, Novak Djokovic has been very solid, stayed mostly at #1 or #2, and has won almost everything this year except Roland Garros.

If he can avoid the off years the other top players have had since 2013, he has a solid chance to stay #1 for a while, but who knows what will happen to him in 2016 or the future? He'll turn 29 next year. The future is not set.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Well said. Things change pretty quickly. When Novak had a great year in 2011 and won AO in 2012, it looked like he was set for a long time to be #1. But Roger got to #1 in late 2012, even though Novak was just barely able to snatch back the #1 rank just before year-end. And then Nadal took it over in 2013. So you never know whats going to happen. In fact, if Novak would have lost the Wimbledon final to Roger, then we wouldnt even be having this discussion. Their gap would have reduced, and after 2 consecutive final slam losses, Novak would be down and out.

We the fans have short term memory, and when a player is playing well for a few months, we think he is unbeatable. If Novak gets defeated by Roger or Murray in USO F or SF, then we would start talking about whether Novak will be able to hold his rankings for 6 more months!! :)

But with Roger old and Nadal having mental issues, he can hope this ranking for a longer time now. Murray is probably the biggest threat.

It´s actually 8/9, Paris-WTF-AO-IWells-Miami-MonteCarlo-Rome-Wimbledon
Ah, corrected!

·
Registered
691 Posts
No one is going to take it next season. But things might be looking different in 2017. That year Djokovic will be 30 and the likes of Nishikori, Raonic, Dimitrov, Kyrgios, and Zverev will all be 18 months older, wiser and better.
That means Djokovic might lose more often, and whoever supplants him only has to be one tournament better, one point better even. That could happen with a more competitive field and a younger player gathering steam and confidence for the first time.
I think in 2017 one of the younger chasing pack will break through and take the no. 1 spot after Indian Wells 2018.

·
Rankings Master
15,962 Posts
He predicted it quite well.

Late next year or early in 2017 at the very earliest, late 2018 at the very latest. Anywhere between those time periods are when he'll probably lose it, most likely to Andy for a while before another place steps up.

EDIT: Coric being at the top of the game would be a disaster for the sport, I can't believe some people think that would be good :lol:
Along with these voters:

@BritanniaC, @fuzzyellowball, @magdamiss, @OriginalNameGuy

·
Banned
892 Posts
I just applying @nolevolent theorems about modern tennis. Modern tennis makes it harder to stay on top because the younger guys are much more athletic and are more complete players. Ask nolevolent to educate you on modern tennis.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Wow that happened much sooner than I expected. I always thought Djokovic would be liable to a slump should he ever get over the hurdle of RG and complete the career slam, but didn't antcipate that it would last long enough to see him slip to #2.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Wow that happened much sooner than I expected. I always thought Djokovic would be liable to a slump should he ever get over the hurdle of RG and complete the career slam, but didn't antcipate that it would last long enough to see him slip to #2.

I am sure Novak now feels very sorry for words he said to Fed . When Fed was on tour most guys challenged Fed not Djokovic but now he is man to beat.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
It'll probably only be for a few weeks. I honestly can't see Murray surviving with the draw he's been dealt, and we've yet to see him vs Declineovic.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,437 Posts
41 - 55 of 55 Posts