Mens Tennis Forums banner

When will Novak lose his #1 ranking (even for a week)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Novak has been #1 for 156 weeks now, and is the best player in the men's game right now with a lead of approx 4000 points over the #2 player in the world - Federer. The lead will very likely increase after Montreal, Cincy and US Open, perhaps to 5000 or 6000 points.

He is dominating mens tennis; he has won 8 of the last 9 major tournaments (Slams/Masters/WTF) he's played; the loss in the 9th one was in the Finals in 4 sets.

It is clear (to me) that Djokovic will probably hold his #1 rank for a long time.

When do you think he will relinquish his #1 rank (even for one week)? Vote in the poll above.

And on the sister thread, vote *WHO* will be the one who takes that #1 spot: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=674793

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Re: When will Novak loose his #1 ranking (even for a week)?

In order to Novak lose No.1 spot, there must be a player who will achieve more than him. Some players could snatch from him tournament or two, but there will not be such player who will be more constant and successful than Novak. New Nadal ? Highly unlikely.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts

Novak has been #1 for 156 weeks now, and is the best player in the men's game right now with a lead of approx 4000 points over the #2 player in the world - Federer. The lead will very likely increase after Montreal, Cincy and US Open, perhaps to 5000 or 6000 points.

He is dominating mens tennis; he has won 7 of the last 8 major tournaments he played in, loosing the 8th one in the Finals in 4 sets. (Slams/Masters/WTF)

It is clear (to me) that Djokovic will probably hold his #1 rank for a long time.

When do you think he will relinquish his #1 rank (even for one week)? Vote in the poll above.

And on the sister thread, vote *WHO* will be the one who takes that #1 spot:
The player that will take his number one ranking is not even on the tour yet. Novak will be world number one longer than Federer he is so dominant now. And over the next 13 slams. History is at his mercy. Sampras and Nadals 14 slams are under threat. And he may finish close enough to Federer to make a REAL argument for GOAT. Given he will have more masters than anyone. And more weeks at the top.

Reactions: Subliminal

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

Nobody knows plus I don't see anybody threatening him. I mean it'll happen at some point ... I can see him dominating next 2/3 years. He seems to be so determined. Youngsters are nowhere to be found. Fed is getting older. Rafa is declining. Murray is trying but he is just not good/consistent enough. Same with Stan. The rest of top 10 ... well, I will not even go there.

Now, one more thing. You can lose a match or lose your wallet. You can also loosen up. So many people just can't understand the difference. Sorry to be a smart ars but still ;). If you are from the States, as your flag suggests, you should know it.

·
6,503 Posts

I think he will have another epic 2016 (+ Olympics as well) , so should hold most of those points until late 2017.
Hence around Q1 2018 at the earliest he could lose it.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
First option is not possible even in theory (if Roger or Andy sweep every tournament and Nole loses everything )

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
It is hard for him to became a force before 2017-2018, or even 2019-2020. Still, there are several good players in his generation, it`s not lock for him to be a future No.1. Too soon to say.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Remember that he has many points to defend in the first part of 2016. He's dominant, but it can always change and Murray with a good end of the season can give him troubles. If Djokovic makes a good US Open series, the next chance will be after US Open 2016 I think. If he doesn't and Murray wins the US Open with very good indoors, he can threaten Novak after Wimbledon next year.

But it's just prediction, everything can happen, who could predict Nadal getting nr.1 seed after Wimbledon in 2010 after that horrible AO for him, who could predict Novak getting nr.1 seed after Wimbledon in 2011 after Nadal's 2010 seaeon.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Depends how fast Borna Ćorić will develop. :cool:
I don't see this fuss over Coric. I have seen no greatness in him personally. Perhaps one of his supporters could explain WHY they see him as a future number one. What is it about him? And not any of the others.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I don't see this fuss over Coric. I have seen no greatness in him personally. Perhaps one of his supporters could explain WHY they see him as a future number one. What is it about him? And not any of the others.
Use the search option. The question you ask was answered many many times lately...

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,437 Posts
Late next year or early in 2017 at the very earliest, late 2018 at the very latest. Anywhere between those time periods are when he'll probably lose it, most likely to Andy for a while before another place steps up.

EDIT: Coric being at the top of the game would be a disaster for the sport, I can't believe some people think that would be good :lol:

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Things happen quickly in tennis.
We just don't know. We don't wish ill things to happen to players but nevertheless they happen.

Federer was #1 in mid-late 2012, winning 6 titles that year, then Djokovic took it back at year's end.
Federer in 2013 was a shadow of himself with some back troubles and won only a single title and finished 2013 at #6, while Nadal rose and won almost everything in sight other than Wimbledon and ended 2013 at #1.

Rafa stayed at #2 into 2014, but after Roland Garros that year, had various physical problems and has done little since and has dropped to #10 in 2015. Meanwhile Federer came back in 2014 and made 11 finals winning 5 to be a solid contender for #1 at the end of the year, finishing a solid #2.

Andy Murray won Wimbledon in 2013 but then had back surgery in the early fall and wasn't right for at least a year, only coming back close to his best form this year. He hasn't been able to beat the top 2 lately, but he's been consistent and the best of the rest.

In the meantime, since 2011, Novak Djokovic has been very solid, stayed mostly at #1 or #2, and has won almost everything this year except Roland Garros.

If he can avoid the off years the other top players have had since 2013, he has a solid chance to stay #1 for a while, but who knows what will happen to him in 2016 or the future? He'll turn 29 next year. The future is not set.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: grkhetan

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If the tournaments are won by different top players, he might lose it temporarily for a couple of month, à la 2012. It depends on his american summer swing though. He'll need a solid result as a good cushion for the following year (which he didnt have in 2012) if he want to keep the streak alive

If there's another contender who wins it all like Nadal in 2013, he'll lose #1 for a much longer period.

Since his schedule would be pretty much the same like the past 2-3 years (meaning that he will probably skip Madrid, again), he will have to defend all the points of the big tournament he has played (and he won, bar RG) so far up to WImbledon. The test will start after Shanghai. We'll see

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't think anyone will be consistent enough to claim #1 anytime soon. Even if Djokovic starts losing here and there I'm sure he'll win at least 1 slam per year and make SF+ at other slams for a few more years. That and a couple of masters should be enough to stay number 1 for a while.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts

He is dominating mens tennis; he has won 7 of the last 8 major tournaments he played in, loosing the 8th one in the Finals in 4 sets. (Slams/Masters/WTF)

And on the sister thread, vote *WHO* will be the one who takes that #1 spot: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=674793
It´s actually 8/9, Paris-WTF-AO-IWells-Miami-MonteCarlo-Rome-Wimbledon

1 - 20 of 55 Posts