Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think James is going to retire after this year's Open. He mentioned many times about his hunger for the game and I suppose he will play until the Open 2012, probably one of his final goals is participation in the Olympics in London as he has British mother and it would mean a lot for him to play in front of English supporters.

·
Registered
14,852 Posts
He said that he is finally fully fit in Winston Salem. So i don't think he retires until 2012 USO.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
There's still a bit of life left in Blake yet. He hasn't had a stellar year by his old standards, but he has been winning matches consistently, so his ranking is comfortably back into the top 100, and it is certainly likely to stay there for at least the next 12 months, as long as he can continue to play tournaments.

Why consider retiring in the immediate future? Doesn't make much sense.

Next year could be his last though, especially as I suspect that he will be more aware of his own limitiations now, compared to when he was a little younger and at the top of his game (look at Dent's sudden decision quit). Playing the Olympics is a reasonable motivator, and he could perhaps retire at the US Open, while his career still has dignity.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
He still wants to play, if you watch recent videos. He also says he feels healthy ATM. So no reason to retire yet.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
However, I am disappointed that James is not on the Entry List for Beijing or Tokyo considering his ranking (No. 63). Maybe, he wants to get some rest after the Open, doesn't he?

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
There's still a bit of life left in Blake yet. He hasn't had a stellar year by his old standards, but he has been winning matches consistently, so his ranking is comfortably back into the top 100, and it is certainly likely to stay there for at least the next 12 months, as long as he can continue to play tournaments.

Why consider retiring in the immediate future? Doesn't make much sense.

Next year could be his last though, especially as I suspect that he will be more aware of his own limitiations now, compared to when he was a little younger and at the top of his game (look at Dent's sudden decision quit). Playing the Olympics is a reasonable motivator, and he could perhaps retire at the US Open, while his career still has dignity.
completely agree. Good to have you here

1 - 7 of 7 Posts