Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 AO, 2019 FO, 2019 W, 2019 USO, later, or never?

I'm going with 2019 AO or 2019 FO!!

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The only positive thing is that AO is only in 4 months.. i hoped that Federer,Stan and Nadal will be 100% fit enough because these guys are the only players who can stop this Novak.. especially Federer on the AO fast conditions.
FO is only in Rafa's racket,if he will play good he will get the 18# there.

2019 will be crucial year.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
AO 2019 if they slow the courts down again. IT's crazy to say but he can go for another NCYGS. That's unbelievable and Novak seems to have endless draws at slams these days.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The only positive thing is that AO is only in 4 months.. i hoped that Federer,Stan and Nadal will be 100% fit enough because these guys are the only players who can stop this Novak.. especially Federer on the AO fast conditions.
FO is only in Rafa's racket,if he will play good he will get the 18# there.

2019 will be crucial year.
I don’t think Fedal can stop Novak at the AO, it is by far Nadal worse surface and Fed has taken 1 set in 3 matches against different Djokovic 08/11/16 and that one set was after Djokovic winning the first 2 sets 1 and 2.

I agree the French is always up too Nadal.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I don’t think Fedal can stop Novak at the AO, it is by far Nadal worse surface and Fed has taken 1 set in 3 matches against different Djokovic 08/11/16 and that one set was after Djokovic winning the first 2 sets 1 and 2.

I agree the French is always up too Nadal.
I really dont judge by history.. its really useless.. i know Federer played very good tennis in AO 17 and 18 because the conditions are very good to him.. it just like Rafa that lost Wimbeldon,USO and AO in a row to Novak and beat him in RG 12,because the surface and the conditions are suits him.

But its really early to talk about this..

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
He will win AO'19 to surpass Emerson ... he has already surpassed Samprass

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I personally don't think the new courts in Australia are ideal for him. He won't be able to choke off opponents as efficiently as he did here, and of course one would hope he doesn't get another joke draw there.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I personally don't think the new courts in Australia are ideal for him. He won't be able to choke off opponents as efficiently as he did here, and of course one would hope he doesn't get another joke draw there.
He will also be able to finish off points a lot quicker as well. The same thing that hurts his opponents on slow courts can hurt him as well and that is having to hit a ton of balls to win a point. There were a ton of points tonight for instance that Novak would have put away much earlier had the courts been faster.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
all this court nonsense. Novak has won titles on numerous different court, speed, surface, hell he probably could win on ice. dont delude yourself he'll be the strong favorite to reclaim back his AO title

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
all this court nonsense. Novak has won titles on numerous different court, speed, surface, hell he probably could win on ice. dont delude yourself he'll be the strong favorite to reclaim back his AO title
Indeed. The haters still haven't realized that Novak can play well on any surface. You don't win 4 Wimbledon titles if you can't play on fast courts.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Djokovic could win the 2019 AO, but so could: Rogie, probably not Rafa, Cilic maybe, or a surprise winner perhaps??

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think people are exaggerating surface speed of AO. It wasn't that fast this year, that 2017 surface was one time unintentional thing(they put the paint a week late) and it is not coming back. Obviously it is still faster than the farce US Open has become and some of previous editions of AO, but it is not some ultra fast surface that Djokovic can't prevail.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think the main reason why people tend to think Novak would do better on a slower court is Fed, because Fed has consistently beaten him in fast conditions. But I very much doubt that 37yo Fed will be a threat to him, especially in best of 5. His main rival is Nadal, and clearly against him being able to finish the point more easily will be a big help.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts