Mens Tennis Forums banner

When will have 1 Chines player in top 3; 2 in top 10 and 10 in top 100 ?

• 3 to 5 years, taking advantage of Nadal/Nole decline and lack of big star..

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 8 to 10 years. Nothing is built there yet.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • They can be 10 in top 100 but never at the topof the game.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • One or two can emerge and lead but they will never be 10 in top 100.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Never ! They will stay at challenger level.

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
China is to be a major country in both Women and Men' Game as in Table Tennis or Badminton, but when will it happen ?

PRO :
1 billion inhabitants.
More and more middle classed urbans whose children will want to make sport and succeed.
One (almost) Chinese icon (Michael Chang) and Li Na.
Clear and Loud Sport Domination Ambition from Central Governement.
Wealth and No Taboo in Buying abroad coaches
ITF Asian Tennis Developpement Program to make the game known.

CONTRA :
Lack of powerfull and tall people (but Chang, Clément, Rochus or Santoro prooved you can do differently).
A tradition mot to like strong and self centred personnalities in China ?

Guess when we could have something like 10 Chinese players in both ATP and WTA top 100.

·
Registered
993 Posts
China is to be a major country in both Women and Men' Game as in Table Tennis or Badminton, but when will it happen ?

PRO :
1 billion inhabitants.
More and more middle classed urbans whose children will want to make sport and succeed.
One (almost) Chinese icon (Michael Chang) and Li Na.
Clear and Loud Sport Domination Ambition from Central Governement.
Wealth and No Taboo in Buying abroad coaches
ITF Asian Tennis Developpement Program to make the game known.

CONTRA :
Lack of powerfull and tall people (but Chang, Clément, Rochus or Santoro prooved you can do differently).
A tradition mot to like strong and self centred personnalities in China ?

Guess when we could have something like 10 Chinese players in both ATP and WTA top 100.
In average they are small but have more tall people that spain and Switzerland together....

·
Registered
309 Posts
In average they are small but have more tall people that spain and Switzerland together....
Yeah.

Given the size of the population there is a large diversity of physical types.

Chinese people on average aren't as small as other Asian nations and they have their share of stronger and taller individuals.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
interresting difference between WTA and ATP in China ,,power,, tennis players and how many tournaments they have, well i think the problem with asian players generally is tennis has not such tradition there and they are mostly smaller guys - so they need to be super fast and play like davydenko - agressive don´t miss, Nishikori is right now probably best asian player - in term how to play tennis, it´s nothing surprisng, players from China, Japan, Korea and so on are generalyl shorter and it´s impossible to dominate this phyiscally demanding era when players are taller and taller each year, so i don´t think chinese, japanese, korean players can be much more succesfull in future than right now, it´s easier to suceed on WTA, where the difference in heigh and power is not so visible like on ATP.

Also the same thread can be make about India, China and India are by far 2 biggest countires - population wise, but i thinin 20 years there will be no difference - maybe more guys in top 200 playing challengers that´s it, but not major difference

·
Registered
631 Posts
Didn't I hear a commentator say something like ten million Chinese girls took up tennis the day after Li won Roland Garros? There's bound to be a world beater or five in there somewhere, and it'll probably translate over the the men's game not long after. It might take 15-20 years but they will make their mark one day I'm sure.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
i dont see the chinese mens players traveling outside of asian event to much and to me thats got to change. nothing is going to happen for them unless they do because the competition in those asian events is usually pretty poor.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts