Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 15 yo dispatching the field in WTA side, beating world #4, and many others. Can we have similar kid in men's side beating senior players left and right in the future?

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
15 is definitely too young for men, Michael Chang would probably be the equivalent on the men’s side, winning RG at 17.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Talents like Coco come once in a lifetime. Consider yourself lucky to have witnessed the big 3 plus Serena.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can't imagine Nadal, Federer, or Djokovic playing as poorly as Osaka did...the women have a finer margin of error playing best of 3, but none of the Big 3 gift victories (credit to Coco for seeing it through, but she only had to hit like 6 or 8 winners)...they extract the absolute physical and mental best of the opponent in order to be vanquished, which Serena/no other modern female tennis player can claim

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can just watch Federer's match right now and see it.
-Granted about Federer's level atm, but Millman is a consummate pro...doesn't fall into the Gauff/youngster/phenom archetype
-Closest examples I can recall at GS level: Chung d. Djokovic (R16, 2018 AO), Tsitsipas d. Federer (R16, 2019 AO), and Kyrgios d. Nadal (R16, 2014 Wimbledon)...all matches where Djokovic/Federer/Nadal played consistently well (certainly not their best), but faltered in pivotal moments (tiebreaks, BP conversion, etc.)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
yeah, plus there may be something dodgy with her age, don't think she is that young at all. looks 16-17
while i have to admit i was thinking the same when i saw the interview, with teenage girls is often hard to tell. had a patient recently who was my height, i guessed her to be 15 but she turned out to be 12..
on topic: i think in mens tennis, it would have to be someone who is physically developed early like Zverev of FAA, combined with Sinner talent.. minimum age would have to be somewhere around 18 methinks

Reactions: 64794

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
Well I do not want to fall in the male vs female old scheme, and I know sex attributes (other than genitals) are just statistics, that we had Chang and Davenport or Navratilova in the past but....

I am afraid ATP is based on power when puberty and ability to naturally build muscle for most males is after 16.

WTA can be power too but there is still an open door for delicacy AND female puberty is often finished at 13/14.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Why would they lie about her age though? She'd be able to play a lot more matches on tour if she were older. She's on a limited tour schedule because of her age.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Women hit puberty and develop earlier than men which is why you see a lot more under 18 women doing well than men. Add the fact that the top women players tend to be less consistent for some reason.

·
Registered
746 Posts
A 15 yo dispatching the field in WTA side, beating world #4, and many others. Can we have similar kid in men's side beating senior players left and right in the future?
Easy with the accolades. Dispatching the field? She has two TOP 10 wins in her career. She has one WTA 280 title. She's yet to break into TOP 50.

Yes, she's young. She will turn 16 in a bit more than a month. But in women's tennis, she's not doing anything that hasn't been seen before. Monika Seles, for example, at the age of 15, won a tournament beating Chris Evert in the finals, got to the semifinals of French Open, and was ranked #6 in the world. Hingis won a doubles slam at age 15 and was ranked #1 in the world and won a singles Slam at age 16. Chang and Becker won slams at age 17. Coco hasn't done anything remotely close to that yet.

I'm not saying that Coco is bad. I like her, I think she's really talented and I hope she has a great career. But it's too early to tell.

As for the men's side, 15 is way too young. Boys physically mature about 2 years later than girls, and today's tennis is much more physical than in Becker or Chang's time. Plus we still have the Big 3 holding the top and won't let 25-28 year old men in the absolute peak of their career even get a taste of winning, let alone some 17-18 year teenager.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts