Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's just insane even at this age Nadal was able to win RG, and Djokovic also reaching another final. I was hoping Thiem somehow makes a dent here, but seemingly gave it all in USO. Sascha Zverev was back to being iffy again and beat easily by Sinner, surprisingly expected, after his poor showing against Herbert. Tsitsipas has some "Fed on clay" upside, but I am not sure if he can consistently do his game he showed against Djokovic, as his default is seemingly consistency over winners. Shapo is still raw and has to be more balanced, while FAA needs to mix things up more. Khachanov also needs more consistency and belief, kinda same with Rublev and a bit more variety, while Medvedev just has to go out of his self-doubt and maybe be more aggressive in this surface. If this is the pattern, will someone "young" actually win RG within this decade, I mean I would personally believe someone like Thiem can, but if Nadal can show up with top-tier form in the final after being iffy in previous rounds, how late are we expecting the ceiling to be broken? Same with Wimbledon, really.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
thiem 2021?
very high chance
he first dragged nadal to 5 sets in US open(his second best slam),then beats him in Australian open,if they meet in another rg final and is not too exhausted,he would legitimately have a 50 percent chance to win

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It's just insane even at this age Nadal was able to win RG, and Djokovic also reaching another final. I was hoping Thiem somehow makes a dent here, but seemingly gave it all in USO.
Oh it wasnt about that. It is just that Thiem is a decent player on clay, but not a great one. He shares his best clay titles (2x 500 ATP titles) with the likes like Leonardo Mayer and Nikoloz Basilashvili.

Thiem averages less than 2,63 games per set against eventual RG winner (that is over 16 sets so not a small sample by any means). There is very little to suggest he should be winning tournaments like RG.

As for the question asked in title: never.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
@umbrellapub Bold statement that I entirely disagree, but it is hard to believe that Domi hasn't won at least a Masters on clay yet...
It takes alot to win a M1000 on clay. You have players like Ferrer, del Potro, Berdych, Söderling... without one. Wawrinka has one.

Theres absolutely no reason to find it 'hard to believe' that Thiem hasnt got one. If anything I find it 'hard to believe' that people talk about Thiem winning RG year after year.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
It's just insane even at this age Nadal was able to win RG, and Djokovic also reaching another final. I was hoping Thiem somehow makes a dent here, but seemingly gave it all in USO. Sascha Zverev was back to being iffy again and beat easily by Sinner, surprisingly expected, after his poor showing against Herbert. Tsitsipas has some "Fed on clay" upside, but I am not sure if he can consistently do his game he showed against Djokovic, as his default is seemingly consistency over winners. Shapo is still raw and has to be more balanced, while FAA needs to mix things up more. Khachanov also needs more consistency and belief, kinda same with Rublev and a bit more variety, while Medvedev just has to go out of his self-doubt and maybe be more aggressive in this surface. If this is the pattern, will someone "young" actually win RG within this decade, I mean I would personally believe someone like Thiem can, but if Nadal can show up with top-tier form in the final after being iffy in previous rounds, how late are we expecting the ceiling to be broken? Same with Wimbledon, really.
Thiem - he goes 200% hard on all his shots, he's very predictable, that's why Rafa always beat him. He's like a Sharapova, once his ballbashing game plan isn't working he has nothing to hurt Rafa.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It takes alot to win a M1000 on clay. You have players like Ferrer, del Potro, Berdych, Söderling... without one. Wawrinka has one.

Theres absolutely no reason to find it 'hard to believe' that Thiem hasnt got one. If anything I find it 'hard to believe' that people talk about Thiem winning RG year after year.
Sascha Zverev has 2, and only has 1 Slam final and relatively poor Slam record -- I don't think it's necessarily because it's hard to win for Domi.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Sascha Zverev has 2, and only has 1 Slam final and relatively poor Slam record -- I don't think it's necessarily because it's hard to win for Domi.
He played some very good tennis back then. Not the same player he is these days. I have no doubt Zverev will collect more M1000 if he finds that level.

Used that level back then to put Thiem away in straight-sets.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He played some very good tennis back then. Not the same player he is these days. I have no doubt Zverev will collect more M1000 if he finds that level.

Used that level back then to put Thiem away in straight-sets.
Yes, but do you really think Sascha's peak on clay is better than Domi's? If Sascha did finally get his early great form back, do you think he can reach an RG Final or even win it?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Yes, but do you really think Sascha's peak on clay is better than Domi's? If Sascha did finally get his early great form back, do you think he can reach an RG Final or even win it?
What do you mean by peak? A short amount of time when the player is playing well? Thiem can be very good for some moments. Almost unplayable. But if the moments dont last long then it counts for very little.

As for Zverev, I dont think his level was ever RG winning worthy. Would need Thiem USO 2020 kind of scenario for that to happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts