Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spain lost a DC tie home?
I mean, they are obviously the best in the world on clay, & they will obviously choose clay when hosting. So when was the last time they lost a tie at home? To who? Who were the players?

Just curious. GO SPAIN! :bounce:

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
02-04 April 1999, against Brazil in Lerida, Spain - the result was 3-2 to the Brazilians.

To say the least, Kuerten was the lynchpin of the team: he thrashed both Corretja and Moya in straight sets, the second win to seal the tie, but the crucial result was the doubles where he and Jaime Oncins came from two sets to one down to beat Corretja and Costa.

Quite recent, isn't it?

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
It just occurred to me - I believe Lerida is the area that Costa hails from in Spain, so the local people couldn't have been too delighted with that doubles result...

In retrospect, what with Corretja's proven ability on faster surfaces and Moya getting to the Indian Wells final that year (and the fact that the two of them contested the year-end championship final in Hannover the year before) they should probably have put the tie on a hardcourt of some kind; I'm willing to bet Kuerten would have lost to one of them on hard, but when you put Grand Master Guga on his favourite surface... watch out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts