Registered
10,023 Posts
this has been done a million times

Reactions: Scotso

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
rogerfan4eva said:
Well excuse me. I haven't really been lurking here lately so how I am supposed to know?
i know you're new so i wasn't expecting you to know, i was just telling you so that now you do. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh alright. I've actually never seen a post like this with the two being compared when they're at their best so...

(shrugs)

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
rogerfan4eva said:
Oh alright. I've actually never seen a post like this with the two being compared when they're at their best so...

(shrugs)
you can try using the search function to find old threads, although that doesn't always work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it true that Marat played better at the 2000 US Open than he did at the 2005 AO? I didn't watch tennis then so I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
It's a bit of a redundant question, because two players will never both play at their absolute best against each other during a match. If they did, we couldn't possibly have a result. The way one player plays affects the way that the other plays. Was Safin at his best at the TMC when having to cope with Federer's low, off-pace slices and superb defensive skills? Was Federer at his best at the AO when trying to deal with Safin's heavy serving and blistering groundies into the corners?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Federer is at his best about 30-40 times/yr; Safin is at his best once every 4 yrs (which due to this infrequency could be attributed to a lucky day).

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Actually, this talk is rubbish really. Do we ever see a player at his "absolute best"?
Safin made quite a few errors during his AO semi-final against Federer and his USO final against Sampras. But he was supposedly at "his best".
Federer made errors and had a few complete mis-hits during his USO final against Hewitt, when he bagelled him, but he was apparently at "his best".
Surely we never see a player at his best because he would have to be making no errors.

·
Registered
614 Posts
rogerfan4eva said:
Is it true that Marat played better at the 2000 US Open than he did at the 2005 AO? I didn't watch tennis then so I wouldn't know.
From what I remember reading of the stats of both matches, Safin played better at the US Open final, with 37 winners to 12 UEs for example there.

The Australian Open semifinal was a very tense match for both Safin and Federer as Marat said he believed -- and I think Roger too -- that Marat could win after their epic 20-18 tiebreak in Houston a couple of months earlier showed them matching each other in a tense situation shot-for-shot, so both were a bit off their best due to the tension at the Australian match. Still a great match, though.

Safin's serve stats were not all that good at either the US Open or the Australian Open matches, however. As I mentioned a few days back, at its best, Marat's first serve has stats which are a mirror-image of Philippousis's massive first serve as we saw when they played each other at Wimbledon. Like obviously a lot of people, I'd be interested to see how well Federer does against Safin when both were having a good day but I'd add that I like to see it particularly when Marat's serve is really working well.

·
Banned
19,258 Posts
forgot? Federer wins everything:eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts