Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember back in the days in 03 and 04 seasons Andy broke the record many times after this! he used to keep breaking his own records!
Do you agree with me that he's the greatest server of all time? but no player considered him while building the ideal tennis player

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
I remember back in the days in 03 and 04 seasons Andy broke the record many times after this! he used to keep breaking his own records!
Do you agree with me that he's the greatest server of all time? but no player considered him while building the ideal tennis player

No he could smack a big serve, but as you can see here even with 138 mph serve, etc. someone could still return it. He doesn't have the same placement abilities of other serving greats. His serve is Top 10, but not best of all time.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
One of the fastest servers of all time but definitely not the greatest. That spot belongs to either Karlovic or Isner and Opelka can be thrown in there later on but his serve is a little below the other 2 as of now.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
They talk about the greatest fighters pound for pound, and I think Roddick was the greatest server inch-for-inch. What was he, 6'1 or 2? Can't compare that to trees like Ivo or Isner. Most of the hate for Roddick on here comes from Nadtards trying to downplay the severe threat he posed to Federer.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,756 Posts
I agree mate. Greatest server ever. Tomorrow i post his USO winning SF here and his serving was outrages.

He is the most under rated of all time and will always be my fav.

Reactions: The Federest

·
Your visions will happen
51,008 Posts
In terms of speed per height, for sure

But the placement was not good enough, and the 2nd could be had in the big moments

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Sampras was definitely better, not even taking into account the smaller frame.

In terms of speed per height, for sure

But the placement was not good enough, and the 2nd could be had in the big moments
Becker, Benjamin was up there for sure too.

More recently i have been impressed by Vilella Martinez who at the last AO, believe it or not served as big as Opelka/Isner, being "only" 178 cm.

·
Your visions will happen
51,008 Posts
Sampras was definitely better, not even taking into account the smaller frame.

Becker, Benjamin was up there for sure too.

More recently i have been impressed by Vilella Martinez who at the last AO, believe it or not served as big as Opelka/Isner, being "only" 178 cm.
Hmm I have seen that player in the draws never got around to looking, I'll go check

Thomas Johansson I thought had a good serve too, he is like 180cm max

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Hmm I have seen that player in the draws never got around to looking, I'll go check

Thomas Johansson I thought had a good serve too, he is like 180cm max
Thomas Johansson serve was good but not so great, someone like Kohli is similar. Grosjean and Takao Suzuki were great servers for their height.

·
Registered
888 Posts
He's fallen behind the giants of the current game. But as some posters have said, he's one of the greatest server among his height range.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Sampras doesn’t have a clear edge on Roddick, Roddick actually has a higher percentage of service games won than Pete (90%-89%) despite slower conditions which favor the returner and being clearly worse in the other areas of the game. Sampras of course had better accuracy and a better second serve but I think Roddick takes the cake overall.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Sampras doesn’t have a clear edge on Roddick, Roddick actually has a higher percentage of service games won than Pete (90%-89%) despite slower conditions which favor the returner and being clearly worse in the other areas of the game. Sampras of course had better accuracy and a better second serve but I think Roddick takes the cake overall.
Roddick has a much better overall game than Sampras who only was superior in net play. Had Sampras competed with prime Federer and Nadal like Roddick, he’d have about the same amount of slams as him

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Roddick has a much better overall game than Sampras who only was superior in net play. Had Sampras competed with prime Federer and Nadal like Roddick, he’d have about the same amount of slams as him
Idk about that lol. Roddick was underrated from the back of the court but it really depends on the era which they would compete in. Dull wouldn’t stand a chance against Sampras in Sampras’s era bar clay and Sampras would struggle to beat Dull in the current era except on grass and fast indoor. Sampras consistently went toe to toe with players like Agassi from the baseline so he was by no means weak from the baseline. Sampras may not of won 14 slams in Roddick's era but he still would do a lot better than Roddick just cause he was a much better player.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts