Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To be honest it's strange but I've never seen him take many before this year. Maybe he did it in his earlier years that I didn't know about but I've never actually witnessed it. Last time I saw him play very injured to the point where I thought he would retire, excluding Davis Cup, was Indian Wells 2013 against Nadal. Despite his back hurting him, he didn't retire or call for a MTO. That's something strange I also noticed. Maybe is fitness is legendary, or he just sucks it in. :shrug:

However, I do recall him doing it once in the past few years. I can't remember where though. :unsure:

I know he had one in AO this year. I mean before this year. :p

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Didn't he take a toilet break after a set against Davydenko in AO 2010 as a gamesmanship strategy so the sun will go out?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Reactions: Fargif

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
5th set Wimbledon last year against Nole. His brain had a time out while staying in the set

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Against Murray at WTF-08 if I`m correct. But does it matter?

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
To be honest it's strange but I've never seen him take many before this year. Maybe he did it in his earlier years that I didn't know about but I've never actually witnessed it. Last time I saw him play very injured to the point where I thought he would retire, excluding Davis Cup, was Indian Wells 2013 against Nadal. Despite his back hurting him, he didn't retire or call for a MTO. That's something strange I also noticed. Maybe is fitness is legendary, or he just sucks it in. :shrug:

However, I do recall him doing it once in the past few years. I can't remember where though. :unsure:

I know he had one in AO this year. I mean before this year. :p
:lol:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Federer takes MTO whenever the opponent is dominating. His cunning tactics are evident through out his career.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Didn't he take a toilet break after a set against Davydenko in AO 2010 as a gamesmanship strategy (so the sun will go out).

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
yeh, the sun moves so fast in the sky it goes from blazing to sunset in 2 minutes of a toilet break that didn't go past the commercial time out - lol - that is, now that a toilet break is deemed the same as an MTO :haha:

Anyway, to be serious, he took one at Wimbledon in 2003, between the warmup and the actual start of the match, for treatment to his back. Apparently was considering retiring but started to play and the spasms eased out - similar to the one while playing Malisse, again at Wimbledon.

Reactions: d_b_prince

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
yeh, the sun moves so fast in the sky it goes from blazing to sunset in 2 minutes of a toilet break that didn't go past the commercial time out - lol
Lol.

But yeah, it's a really impressive and underrated quality, almost a phenomenon of Federer. Djokovic is similarly consistently fit but does get injuries. Federer has almost never seemed to put an ankle out of place or roll something during a match; he obviously doesn't cramp or look winded.

Makes you question his WO in the London WTF vs. Djokovic a bit more. He almost always seems ready to give it a match but I think he knew he'd be beat by Nole there and chose not to expend the energy or threaten anything before Davis Cup, hmmm.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Lol.

But yeah, it's a really impressive and underrated quality, almost a phenomenon of Federer. Djokovic is similarly consistently fit but does get injuries. Federer has almost never seemed to put an ankle out of place or roll something during a match; he obviously doesn't cramp or look winded.

Makes you question his WO in the London WTF vs. Djokovic a bit more. He almost always seems ready to give it a match but I think he knew he'd be beat by Nole there and chose not to expend the energy or threaten anything before Davis Cup, hmmm.
Well his injury to his ankle during practice in 2005 did cost him participation in 2 masters IIRC, and possibly the title in the Masters Cup. Not sure how you arrive at him knowing he'd be beaten by Djokovic, since, as they say, every match has to be played, and you could see when he started grimacing towards the end of the match with Stan. A little disingenuous to believe that he'd be that dumb to stretch himself out over a gruelling 3-set match when he could have "lost" to Stan in 2 or an easy 3.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
I remember him taking MTO vs Tipsarevic on AO 2008 when went 1-2 sets down, to "clip his nails". Also he took a MTO vs Murray on WTF 2008 or 2009.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I remember him taking MTO vs Tipsarevic on AO 2008 when went 1-2 sets down, to "clip his nails". Also he took a MTO vs Murray on WTF 2008 or 2009.

All of this is false.

All I can say is...
chico takes mto from logic everytime he dares to write a reply in mtf.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
We all remember the last time Djokovic and Nadal taking a MTO, but Fed? Fed is the real MVP. He doesn't take MTOs almost ever. He's a real men. He just stays shut the fuck up and plays through pain. An example for humanity.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts