1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
prime 24-29
peak 29-34
slight decline 34-36
Retirement prep 36+

This is by todays standards counting nutricions, vit and medics.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mid 20s for sports like tennis. For sports that depend solely on athleticism probably early 20s.

By late 20s people are starting to get wrinkles and absolutely past their primes physically.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the blog, please read :D , I mention Feds' win over Murray - something he said was one of his best wins ever.

I think each player is different obviously. Like Lopez at his highest ranking at 32/33. Ferrer having his best year aged 30/31. Stan winning a slam aged 30.
Somethings get worse but some things improve as a result of these new deficiencies.

·
6,711 Posts
For sprinters it can be late 20's - early 30's.
Tennis players it used to be mid-20's, plenty of players (Mac, Wilander and Courier et al) did not win a Slam past that age.
Now we see players reaching career high rankings in the early 30's, even as late as 33.
Would still say absolute peak is 24-27.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,385 Posts
In the blog, please read :D , I mention Feds' win over Murray - something he said was one of his best wins ever.

I think each player is different obviously. Like Lopez at his highest ranking at 32/33. Ferrer having his best year aged 30/31. Stan winning a slam aged 30.
Somethings get worse but some things improve as a result of these new deficiencies.
Fed is still able to put a great performance from time to time but he can't play at the highest of levels consistently like he used to. And although serve, volleys and BH were peakish, FH was ordinary.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I fully accept that in the blog.

But maybe when he clicks, he is better than ever - just cannot recover as quick, step slow, less consistent and can;t go the distance anymore.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Before anyone else is on the scene. At that point they become geriatrics whose losses don't count. Happened to Federer, will happen to djokovic.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
It depends. Nadal will peak at 32 years old.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Mid 20s for sports like tennis. For sports that depend solely on athleticism probably early 20s.

By late 20s people are starting to get wrinkles and absolutely past their primes physically.
That must totally change your game. :spit:

With today's fitness and diet regimes, all the fancy gear, monitoring, supplements, recovery technology: prime in all sports today is around 24-29. But tennis is far more mental and intellectual than purely physical. And even in just physical sports like athletics you have the likes of Usain Bolt at 28 still fast as hell. Ronaldo is 30, Messi 28, and they've never performed better. Sure most swimmers peak at 21 or so, just because it's probably one of the most physical dependent sport.

But judging Djokovic for example: his physique and body is not what you call "average". Guy bends his body, plays 6 hr matches, and can grind you till the last point. So just going about it statistically, his above average physique could reap him rewards further than most players. And I'm sure his team has a regime in place to prolong his form as long as they can. Right now, he looks like he's still prime stuff. And his mental strength is growing year after year. Which for me, has a bit more influence in player's success. Ferrer is running like a rabbit at 34, but mentally, he's still 25 and will probably never break through. Although the poor man had the top 3 in his way, otherwise he's be a multiple slam winner for sure. Even past his 30th birthday.

Like it or not, the peak age is rising, and I for one am not complaining.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts