Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which matches do you ever see Federer get exhausted, excluding 2008 season? IW Final this year made me think about that. Though Djokovic raised his game, I think Fed got really worn out and then started to spray more errors. When have you seen Fed visibly tired and sweating all over the court?

·
Registered
736 Posts
2005 WTF F vs Nalbandian

I'm no Fed fan, but watching that match at the time, it was clear to me that after winning the fist two sets, Fed simply started to get really fatigued, probably due to a long, incredible season. It just seamed to hit him in that match in a way that I hadn't seen to that point in his career

btw, dat field?!

Gaudio, Coria, Ljubicic, Puerta lol

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,910 Posts
Any of his matches to Nadal? especially Roland Garros, even AO2009 final set. Impossible not to be sweating under those kind of conditions...
What do you think of his loss to Tsonga at Wimbledon 2011? Won first two sets then went under the radar for the next three...
Also Tennis Masters Cup 2005 final loss vs Nalbandian (although he mounted quite the comeback in the fifth, still lost in in the TB). That was some match. Perhaps loss to Hewitt at 2003 DC in 5 sets?
I don't really look at the physical state, I see the scoreline being funny when Federer is leading by a quite a wide margin and then invariably fades away the rest of the match.

I think Federer got tired after two tight sets and Nalbandian rolled him there and should have been easy win in the 5th...I'm missing the Nalbandian BH already!

Lleyton's 'come-on's louder than the crowd :haha:

I don't quite blame Federer for this loss. He'd only just established himself at Wimbledon and Hewitt himself said in the post match interview he was banking on Federer being tired if he could stretch it over 5 sets.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
2005 WTF F vs Nalbandian

I'm no Fed fan, but watching that match at the time, it was clear to me that after winning the fist two sets, Fed simply started to get really fatigued, probably due to a long, incredible season. It just seamed to hit him in that match in a way that I hadn't seen to that point in his career

btw, dat field?!

Gaudio, Coria, Ljubicic, Puerta lol
He came back from 0-4 to 6-5 30-0 with his serve, didn't seem tired.

Gaudio and Puerta finished outside TOP 8 but played because of withdrawals (as did Nalbandian himself, that won the tournament). But Ljubicic was amazing that year and Coria was a regular in the TMC from 2003 to 2005, not a surprise at all.

·
Registered
736 Posts
He came back from 0-4 to 6-5 30-0 with his serve, didn't seem tired.

Gaudio and Puerta finished outside TOP 8 but played because of withdrawals (as did Nalbandian himself, that won the tournament). But Ljubicic was amazing that year and Coria was a regular in the TMC from 2003 to 2005, not a surprise at all.
Yes, books have been and will continue to be written over his performance that season...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Didn't he have a sprained ankle versus Nalbandian at TMC 2005? I think he just lost against an inspired opponent.

I'm sure he's been tired/exhausted in more matches than we're aware. Part of his training and persona is geared towards not showing it. Partly to not give his opponent an edge and also, I'm sure he likes the image of being the guy that plays tennis with an "effortless" style.

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
Another set of twins.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Yes, books have been and will continue to be written over his performance that season...
:facepalm:

Yes, I'm sure books have to be written about you to be able to play in a masters. Ljubicic was better than many players that played a WTF in the past years.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Federer is not the warrior his fans make him out to be. If you get him into a 5th set, he's pretty much toast against a top 10 player.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Federer is not the warrior his fans make him out to be. If you get him into a 5th set, he's pretty much toast against a top 10 player.
If he isn't 0-2 down that is, in which case he's guaranteed to do better than Chokervic and Dull.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Didn't he have a sprained ankle versus Nalbandian at TMC 2005? I think he just lost against an inspired opponent.

I'm sure he's been tired/exhausted in more matches than we're aware. Part of his training and persona is geared towards not showing it. Partly to not give his opponent an edge and also, I'm sure he likes the image of being the guy that plays tennis with an "effortless" style.
That match was at the same time as the mono. Fed does get tired in long matches on slow surfaces.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
He gets tired, he just doesn't make a huge show of it and still abides by the time limit between points :shrug:

Reactions: Kat_YYZ

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Indian Wells this year, Wimbledon last year in the final. plenty of times Federer has gotten 'worn' out. rarely do you seem him super sweating or gasping for air, but I think just generally when he is tired it is more reflected on decreased level of play and potency in terms of gameplan. Federer will generally not be capable of dictating play, or even attempting to dictate play, when he is exhausted

he is just weird how he physically doesn't show it like most people regularly do

·
Registered
767 Posts
he doesn't show it but he is often exhausted, you feel it when he plays really tired

·
Registered
22,561 Posts
When he fakes a chronic back injury to get out of military service.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts