Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be interesting to know different aspects of the players that caught the attentions of their fans or followers.

In India, We were mostly telecasted only Grand Slams and olympics when I started to follow. I would see mostly people talking about Federer too. I did not like him initially, maybe because he was winning everything. I liked Safin, Federer and Nadal. I started to watch more intensely from 2005-06 onwards. I like Fed's game because it is so aesthetic and beautiful. It is a sweetcandy to the eyes. I like Rafa for his spirit and some of the rallies that he played in his earlier days, did not let a thing pass. :)secret: I am a fan of long rallies and defensive tennis). I liked quite a few other guys too, but they were never consistent. Tsonga, Gonzales, Delpo, etc.

Share your views and let's see, we may get some unnoticed aspects of these tennis players on/off court.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well I was already a fan of Sharapova,so Dimitrov became my favourite ATP player when it was confirmed they were dating at the start of last year. That's not the only reason though,I enjoy his game and think he is great for the sport

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
what about people who dont have favs? jowilly and slade for example, one claims being tsonga fan, the other claims to be a fed fan but they actually never talk about their masters but nadull here and nadull there, pathetic people imo.

:bigwave:

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
what about people who dont have favs? jowilly and slade for example, one claims being tsonga fan, the other claims to be a fed fan but they actually never talk about their masters but nadull here and nadull there, pathetic people imo.

:bigwave:
Your obsession with us is quite creepy. Have you seen Fatal Attraction?

Unlike a lot of people on here I have been watching tennis for a long time, and have enjoyed watching so many players. Jo in particular of the current crop but another favourite of mine is Marcelos Rios. Insane stuff :worship:

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Your obsession with us is quite creepy. Have you seen Fatal Attraction?

Unlike a lot of people on here I have been watching tennis for a long time, and have enjoyed watching so many players. Jo in particular of the current crop but another favourite of mine is Marcelos Rios. Insane stuff :worship:
I started watching tennis when marcelo rios was on the rise /Circa 1996. Probably eyeballed a couple of matches on tv 1-2 years before that, like the classics from agassi,sampras, muster and chang , but didnt pay much attention to that.

Yes I enjoyed fatal attraction, the role of michael douglas was remarkable.

On topic: I started following rafa in 2005 during rome 2005. Before that stage I watched some of his matches but I was more of a Coria Fan.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Roger Federer: Wimbledon 2003 QF vs. Sjeng Schalken, beat him 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 and I was hooked on his tennis.

When he beat Phillipoussis & cried like a little baby, that's what cemented it for me. He'd just looked so cool & calm out there, & when he broke down in tears & it was clear how much it meant to him to have finally won his first GS I was won over.

Other players: Goran Ivanisevic - he was a hilarious character & he won me over Wimbledon '01 SF vs. Tim Henman (I was actually rooting for Henman, whom I also liked at the time. I think I may have watched the match with Ivanisevic against Safin, but I don't remember).

I completely missed all the drama of Federer beating Sampras in the fourth round :facepalm: , but I clearly remember how much I enjoyed the tournament for Ivanisevic's outsize personality.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
I started following Rafa because I'm a glory hunting, Spanish, fan-girl with limited intelligence.
you fail, just check the forum. Lot of people follow rafa since 2004/2005 before he ever won a GS, so you fail again dude.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Kaley Cuoco? Well, the first time I saw her, I really liked her a lot. But that jackass Sweeting has taken her away from me. Since then, tennis players have become enemy #1. They all steal your favorite girl, and you can't do anything about it.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Kaley Cuoco? Well, the first time I saw her, I really liked her a lot. But that jackass Sweeting has taken her away from me. Since then, tennis players have become enemy #1. They all steal your favorite girl, and you can't do anything about it.
And ROdduck bought a girl he would never get if he wasnt a famous tennis player no? he also tried to beat nole on the locker room, poor sportmanship of that shallow rodduck, no?:eek::wavey:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
And ROdduck bought a girl he would never get if he wasnt a famous tennis player no? he also tried to beat nole on the locker room, poor sportmanship of that shallow rodduck, no?:eek::wavey:
I hate tennis players... most of them anyway. They are a bunch of entitled, rich brats that steal dreams from the rest of us. Now Roddick should have been deported for his antics. Nevertheless, he won a slam, even though it has an asterisk. Sweeting has accomplished nothing. Heck, Johnny Groove has gotten more coverage on this site than freaking Sweeting, and he has a rich actress as his wife? WTF!

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I started following Rafa because I'm a glory hunting, Spanish, fan-girl with limited intelligence.
Must this kind of hate for average fans be brought into a generally harmless thread? :facepalm:

I grew up playing tennis for fun but only followed the tours casually on TV (probably watched more WTA than ATP growing up actually). The American networks almost always showed Americans and American tournies so that's what I was exposed to. RG was by its nature an exception and I still remember being introduced to Nadal in his SF against Fed there back in '05. His play was unlike anything I'd seen before and I immediately took to supporting him if only in a limited way: this was back in the bad old days of no Tennis Channel or high speed internet (for me anyway) and I basically couldn't follow the clay season at all besides RG.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
I first fell in love with Fossil 13 years ago when I watched him lose a 5-0 and 5-1 lead in consecutive sets against Hewitt at the Australian Open.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
I hate tennis players... most of them anyway. They are a bunch of entitled, rich brats that steal dreams from the rest of us. Now Roddick should have been deported for his antics. Nevertheless, he won a slam, even though it has an asterisk. Sweeting has accomplished nothing. Heck, Johnny Groove has gotten more coverage on this site than freaking Sweeting, and he has a rich actress as his wife? WTF!
Isnt tennis supposed to be a sport for sissies in the US? Its like 9th sport there but 2nd or 3rd sport anywhere else. Problem cannot be found? and he still manages to get a famous gf, and no he aint sampras or agassi, he is ryan sweeting.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I started following Berdy at Wimbledon 2010. When he's playing his best he is amazing. :eek:
He's good looking (to my eyes). Kinda quirky personality off-court. He's not the best or most talented player out there, but that doesn't matter to me. :angel:
He's my #1. :hug:

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Must this kind of hate for average fans be brought into a generally harmless thread? :facepalm:

I grew up playing tennis for fun but only followed the tours casually on TV (probably watched more WTA than ATP growing up actually). The American networks almost always showed Americans and American tournies so that's what I was exposed to. RG was by its nature an exception and I still remember being introduced to Nadal in his SF against Fed there back in '05. His play was unlike anything I'd seen before and I immediately took to supporting him if only in a limited way: this was back in the bad old days of no Tennis Channel or high speed internet (for me anyway) and I basically couldn't follow the clay season at all besides RG.
Do you still have that problem?

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I was mezmerized of Davydenko's
- Hitting the ball on the rise
- Playing fluidly (in his early years his running and timing were even more fluid up till 2008)
- And his constant attacking , he does it so much that doesn't even want to be on the defensive at all.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Do you still have that problem?
Thankfully no. My cable provider started offering Tennis Channel around '08 (though it's still not in HD here) and they show pretty much the entire tour besides the stuff that ESPN and the broadcast networks have. I still remember when the only clay play you could see in the US outside RG was an ATP highlight show they'd bury at 2AM on ESPN2.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I started following Gasquet when he won his first match at Monte Carlo as a 16 year old. After that I was cheering for him because I was trying to be cool and cheer for the up and coming future champion (I also cheered for Nadal back then). When Nadal became popular I stopped cheering for him and stuck firmly to Gasquet. But now that he's old I'm waiting for a new young talent to really get behind, but unfortunately the world of tennis is lacking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts