Mens Tennis Forums banner

When will Rafa beat Djoko/Fed outside clay?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rafa's losing streak outside of clay vs Djoko and Federer has to end at some point. When and where will it happen?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wrong term, right. It means you're a hater of Slade's caliber.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Rafa's losing streak outside of clay vs Djoko and Federer has to end at some point. When and where will it happen?
It doesn't have to end at some point.

This is quite possibly Fed's last full season, and Roger and Rafa may not even meet this year. And if they do meet again, it won't be often.

And Novak's hard-court dominance of Rafa looks pretty absolute at this stage.

Rafa is 33 years old.

Anything's possible, especially because Rafa's a great competitor, but my guess is that the off-clay losing streak never ends.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
As above. Fed could retire this year without even facing Rafa on hardcourts. Nadal's last win on Hard vs Federer was in 2014. He defeated Federer in 2004, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Yeah, 2014 is the last time he's beaten either Federer or Djokovic on Hard. I'd say the odds are pretty much against Nadal defeating either of them on Hard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Olympics 2020 is my pick, but there's very few opportunities on Nadal's calendar for this to manifest

Australian: Want to believe it can happen (against Federer, not against Djokovic certainly), but history says it will end in bitter disappointment

Acapulco: Djokovic played once a few years back, lost to Kyrgios as I remember, but not likely to see Djokovic/Federer participate

Indian Wells: One of the rare tournaments where each has a history of multiple successes (3+ titles), but coming off the Australian summer (ATP Cup + Oz), exhibitions (Federer, Dimitrov, Ferrer), etc...I think/hope this is where Rafa begins to rest the body for his annual clay assault, so don't think he will progress to SF/F where he would meet Roger or Novak

(He's not playing/should never play Miami ever again)

Tokyo Olympics: Federer and Djokovic are gunning for this as it's the last chance to add Singles Gold to their respective accolades, but Rafael Nadal, playing for Spain, and the rigors of the calendar are going to be factors (how he found a level to compete in Rio out of the 2015/2016 doldrums idk) and this is the spot where it most likely happens (would trade for a major hardcourt final in a second haha)

Montreal/Toronto: The Big 3 have started to coalesce around one Masters 1000 as sufficient preparation for the USO, and I especially see this holding during an Olympic year...Rafa has clearly opted for Canada and Djokovic/Federer for Cincy, so similar situation to Acapulco

US Open: In my estimation, Federer is done being a factor in New York...the humid conditions and the rigors of the tennis calendar are too much at his age, especially coming off his primary efforts at Wimbledon/Tokyo Olympics...Djokovic and Nadal can happen, but I definitely back one/both to not make it to SF/F based on the tennis calendar coupled with their age, there's a reason most tennis fans/"experts" believe this is the next slam that the Big 3 fails to secure

Shanghai: Rafa skipped the entire Asian swing last year and hope he will adopt this going forward, but we all know he'll play Shanghai if fit...the speed/surface conditions don't aid his game, needless to say, it's not happening here

Paris: Federer has passed on this M1000 repeatedly to give his body ample rest before WTF and after Laver Cup/Basel...again Djokovic and Nadal can come to pass, but as we saw last year, Rafa is likely to WD or suffer an early exit as the indoor conditions don't aid his game

London WTF: Last year was Rafa's best chance to win this (in London) and this is where it's least likely to happen in my estimation...I'm ready to see how Italy plays lol

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Dunno, but his chances look somewhat better than Fed ending his 10 years losing streak with Rafa on clay. Last set Fed won in 2011 LoL

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Bella, it's an interesting question whether that would actually be the most likely option. Assuming Fed retires this year and Djokovic/.Nadal retires in three, assuming they continue to play as well as they have, that leaves an average of just three matches. 2 vs Djokovic and 1 vs Federer. I think that given Rafa's 1/3 odds that the most likely outcome would be that he wins one of these. But that's a lot of assumptions. If any of these three guys decline or there are fewer than 3 matches, then zero would be the most likely option.

·
The special one
13,836 Posts
Probably never, and no I'm not trolling I'm being deadly serious. Why would it be trolling, the last win he's had against one of them was 2014.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I think never considering Dull couldn’t even beat Federer on the worlds slowest “grass” he won’t beat him nor Djokovic anywhere off clay. I think Djokovic can take him on clay too except maybe RG.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts