Mens Tennis Forums banner

When all is said and done, will Djokovic be a GOAT candidate?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, he'll definitely be in the running, unless he suddenly develops the yips, or contracts a flesh eating hand virus.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
maybe yes, maybe no, nobody knows.

and there is no goat btw.

·
Registered
894 Posts
16 slams (or 15 with a calendar slam)
6 year end ATPs, 7 ITFs
310 weeks at no.1
Most masters 1000
80+ titles
-----------
GOAT by far

Everything mentioned is realistic other than total slam count. He will need a bit of luck for that.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The only way Djokovic can be considered GOAT is if he passes Federer in the slam count which seems almost impossible at the moment.

I do consider Djokovic a tier 1 great, however, and if he keeps adding more slams (and weeks at number 1 and other important titles) he can at least be in the conversation for GOAT.
Is your eyesight good? The question is will Djokovic be a GOAT candidate. Sampras has won 14 slams but he is considered to be a GOAT candidate.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
16 slams (or 15 with a calendar slam)
6 year end ATPs, 7 ITFs
310 weeks at no.1
Most masters 1000
80+ titles
-----------
GOAT by far

Everything mentioned is realistic other than total slam count. He will need a bit of luck for that.
:worship:

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
In terms of level of play he's already one of the best ever. In terms of accomplishments Djokovic could be in the GOAT discussion like Nadal, Sampras and Laver are. But let him win a few more slams and keep his ranking for a couple of more years. Time will tell.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
No, I don't think so. Definitely top 10! But not for GoaT - I just don't see him winning enough additional Slams.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I don't believe it this GOAT thingy. It is very difficult to talk about players from different eras. There are so many variables. Different courts, different competition ... different racquets, amateurs, pros. Still, Fed stands tall.

As his fan, he's done enough already for me and I didn't ever think he would win 9 back in 2005/06 when I started supporting him. I think that he will win more majors. Or maybe not. Who knows? We need to wait and see.

He is a tennis legend already. By winning his 9th slam, he already separated himself from some other legends.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
He don't have any special shot in the game. Ultimately it can hurt his chances.

Federer has all round game, Sampras has the serve and running forehand, Nadal has a brutal forehand and brick wall defence.

Only that gymnast stretching counts for something.

·
Registered
17,950 Posts

Federer has all round game, Sampras has the serve and running forehand, Nadal has a brutal forehand and brick wall defence.

You look stupid, like the person in your avatar did before the final.

Djokovic has the backhand down the line and an improved serve.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

The fact that you think he doesn't have a special shot shows just how good and solid his game is. There are virtually no weaknesses. Federer, Sampras and Nadal all had/have great forehands and decent but not great backhands. Federer and Sampras have great serves and Nadal has great defense. Novak has a great forehand, great backhand, really good serve, great defense to offense and great return. He is very similar to Agassi except Agassi could not play defense to offense like he can.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

Novak has hit that sliding backhand pass about a million times in his career. That's his signature shot

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I think that chance has passed him by - asking a 9 slammer to double his count from 28 on is a big ask. For me, his problem has been not having the "final day" mode that Fed (and then Nadal too)managed to develop. That anticipation you felt as you waited to see how much they could elevate their play in the final....then inevitably you were blown away with some outrageous stuff. Nole's game is perhaps the most solid day in/day out game ever....he is like a metronome. That is highly laudable. But the the reason he hasn't amassed more slams, imo, is that he doesn't really have another level, and too often he has been rocked off kilter in a big match or final by a guy who does.

He has become much better than I thought he could be though, fair play. It's hard to dish out future slams on a forum, when things in the tennis world can change fast. All we need to do though is look at the names he has already surpassed....he is entering the tier 2 ubergreat category. He is unlikley to make it as far up the mountain as Fed, but it's a heck of an achievement.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts