Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I saw a thread about French tennis and its problems, I figure I start a thread on American tennis (even though I'm Canadian)
It's been 2003 since an American won a Slam (Roddick US Open 2003) and the Americans have slamless ever since.

The current American showing at this Australian Open was piss poor and it was the first time since 1973 that no Americans reached the round of 16. Needless to say, the current crop of American players have no chance of winning a Slam this year or in the near future which begs the question what's wrong with American tennis?

I was listening to Johnny Mac on AO Radio about this and he was saying that the current generation and upcoming ones have no passion for the game and tennis was on the decline in the States. Does anyone believe there's truth to this?

So what's the problem?
is it truly a lack of passion for the game? is it cuz the current players are mugs or either mental midgets? what gives?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
To put things into some perspective:

US Male tennis since the 90's: around 25-26 Slams and almost 50 Master Series....and all of these despite tennis not being one of the top 4 sports in US (whereas it's the second one in France).

So you still think it's comparable with France's problems??

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
all yank players have been mugs as of late and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
So what do you suggest is the right way? That Americans continue to dominate the sport? Then the thread would be "What's wrong with European tennis?"

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Shitty attitudes

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Plenty of things.

But American and also Australian tennis will rebound in the next decade. And Spain will fall off a bit.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Isner = Lurch
Roddick = Duck
Fish = A*hole
Young = Mug
Ah. Real reason for lame thread....starter wanted a chance to answer their own question with this incredibly dumb comment.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Poor attitudes can be one factor. Some players like Querrey don't look like they have that eager and motivation that players in Europe do.

Some players like Roddick do care and work hard, but they use poor tactics.

Some like Isner, are handicapped, too damn tall to play.

3,728 Posts
what happend was very simple

roddick's era is over

and donald young didnt live upto his potential

the other guys are shit

not much else to say really

also- protip for american tennis- buy a few clay courts (red.... proper clay)

might help your guys get past the 1st round of rg

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
The problem is Haas is not playing under their flag.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
they need to learn to play on clay

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
slower surfaces have killed american and australian attacking tennis and have paved the way for european dominance.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
I want to ask too WHERE IS RUSSIAN TENNIS ? what happened to it ...?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts