Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone else has noticed this but during grand slams sometimes the camera shots between points will be of someone reading a newspaper about the Tennis, with the Tennis out of focus in the background. Seriously what is the point of this camera shots? Who actually reads a newspaper about Tennis when watching it live, especially during games. I don't get it, they don't seem artsy at all either, even though that may be the aim.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
It's not something really new, I've seen it before, it's probably publicity/marketing, those papers probably pay some (big) money for their publications to appear on TV during big matches with a high number of audience

·
Registered
33,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not something really new, I've seen it before, it's probably publicity/marketing, those papers probably pay some (big) money for their publications to appear on TV during big matches with a high number of audience
Meh, the problem is I never see the papers name, the shots don't last for long and they're usually a page opened up. It's just annoying.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Or maybe those are just the official tournament newspapers and they just try to promote themselves, showing the headline for that day etc. Can't think of anything else

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Or maybe those are just the official tournament newspapers and they just try to promote themselves, showing the headline for that day etc. Can't think of anything else
Yes, this.
Frankly they are a bit annoying as you can see the camera guy just told'em to hold the newspaper that way till the shoot is done. Anyways they do it in masters to, mostly in in the US.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
My absolute gripe is, and it happens during tennis coverage at slams all the time, shots cutting to people in the audience yawning or asleep. I mean are you not trying to sell the sport positively, those shots I always feel really embarrassed as a tennis fan by.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Don't mind that so much, what annoys me is when they switch to different camera angles behind a player where you can't see what's going on.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
My absolute gripe is, and it happens during tennis coverage at slams all the time, shots cutting to people in the audience yawning or asleep. I mean are you not trying to sell the sport positively, those shots I always feel really embarrassed as a tennis fan by.
This 100%

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
It's the official tournament paper, basically a self promotion.
Most of the time looks like the match is so boring for the fans they have to read something in between to pass time.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Don't mind that so much, what annoys me is when they switch to different camera angles behind a player where you can't see what's going on.
this...
i can barely see when the ball is going wide that way.

Those are excellent. I think people who play tennis enjoy them a lot.

What's bad it's when courts look trapezoid. Surely there can be some tricks to make them look more square regardless of camera height.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I hope none of you believe the newspapers are paying for their paper to be shown :help: That's stupid.

The sometimes show them reading the tournament guide or daily newsletter from the tournament which is obviously advertising a little bit. But commercial papers, no :lol: What paper would?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts