Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
It's been going on for quite some time already, as many have pointed out. And I think it's called 'fashion'.

These designers will do anything to make the players stand out from the rest and making them look hideous unfortunately serves the purpose well enough.

At least these outfits are not forgettable, are they? I don't think so as we're discussing them here.

Not a fan of these creations either though as a fan of simple and classic designs, but I kind of get what the designers are after.

And why am I botheted to any degree by what the players are wearing?
Because I think tennis is best when it's pleasing to the eye, not when something is distracting you from the play itself all the time.
I am not sure that's the designers' primary goal. That still should be making a profit for the company, i.e. sales. I have no bloody idea who'd buy this atrocity. I usually don't buy Nike out of spite, however, even if I wanted to, the contest between the pj's and the unicorn vomit is so tight, I wouldn't know what to choose. Truly perplexing choices.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Shapo looking sharp in his Nike's this week. Wonder why he didn't have to wear pj tops? If Nike is moving out of tennis it's probably not getting the desired return on their money which is probably because of declining tennis interest in the all important USA market.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's been quite bad for a looong time (I remember f.e the fugly potato sacks designs for the girls at the USO 2013, making poor Azarenka look pregnant) but they've taken it down to another level this year and now it's just hideous. What stands out for me this year it's not that they are bad, but that the men designs, with all that spotted shit that looks like it was designed by Lee Bowery, are even worse than the women's, and that's really saying something. When I see Dimitrov wearing that thing it still cracks me up :ROFLMAO: I am sorry but he looked like an absolute joke.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Do people actually buy tennis wear? Seems to be very little difference between it and other sportswear except some celeb tennis players have worn it.

·
Premium Member
9,898 Posts
Do people actually buy tennis wear? Seems to be very little difference between it and other sportswear except some celeb tennis players have worn it.
Nobody buys tennis wear. Why would you buy a 50 dollar Polka Dot Sweater, when you can buy a 2 dollar breathable shirt?

Even when kids play tennis they often have a Jersey for their school

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am not sure that's the designers' primary goal. That still should be making a profit for the company, i.e. sales.
You might well be right here. However, looking at the bigger picture I often think that these brand owners just want visibility and publicity above anything else these days: something that will keep the brand in people's minds retaining it's well known status, which will in the long run result in much higher income and profit for the company than just the money coming from the clothing sales.

Then switching to thinking about this from a single designer's perspective, I'm afraid they just want to create something new and memorable, something that's not been around for years already. And since the simple and classic designs have been around for ages, they must feel this urge to create anything but that 'old stuff' again.
Which actually might sound as a wise move for those responsible for the business/sales within the company, as a lot of people will already have the old stuff and are looking for something new to buy.

Tough luck, since I'm pretty sure there are no huge crowds buying these new 'highly artistic creations'.

And no, I wouldn't buy that stuff either (for my brothers or male friends, even though practically all of them play tennis).

·
Registered
372 Posts
It has been this way since 2015. Nike surely has gone downhill in the design of tennis outfit. It also strikes me that they no longer want to invest in tennis as much as they did in the past (dropping Federer) and possibly shifting the focus to American audience (for example sponsoring Coco Gauff) or even to other sports. The highest profile nextgen players are also not sponsored by Nike so I don't see why they would have any motivation to come up with better design. Even for Nadal I don't see there is any effort put in to refresh his outfit. Compared that to some classic Wimbledon outfits they had for Roger in 2007/2009, which were not to everyone's taste, you definitely see Nike's decline in tennis.
Gauff is sponsored by New Balance.

Also, aren't Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime Nike players? Rublev too.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
You might well be right here. However, looking at the bigger picture I often think that these brand owners just want visibility and publicity above anything else these days: something that will keep the brand in people's minds retaining it's well known status, which will in the long run result in much higher income and profit for the company than just the money coming from the clothing sales.

Then switching to thinking about this from a single designer's perspective, I'm afraid they just want to create something new and memorable, something that's not been around for years already. And since the simple and classic designs have been around for ages, they must feel this urge to create anything but that 'old stuff' again.
Which actually might sound as a wise move for those responsible for the business/sales within the company, as a lot of people will already have the old stuff and are looking for something new to buy.

Tough luck, since I'm pretty sure there are no huge crowds buying these new 'highly artistic creations'.

And no, I wouldn't buy that stuff either (for my brothers or male friends, even though practically all of them play tennis).
I don't know. Those kits are mass produced and surely have to be approved before hitting stores. Designers can't just have their creative juices flowing and make whatever is on their (often excessively creative) mind. Also, I reckon, most players who are stuck with them are not big enough names to promote the brand by simply wearing its logo. Ofc, Nadal, Serena, Sharapova or Fed in the past can wear an exclusive potato sack and it would fly off the shelves. But nobody will remember what Kecmanovic wore, no disrespect intended.
It really looks like they have given up on this niche.

·
Premium Member
21,006 Posts
I think Nike doesn't really gave a f about tennis anymore, compared to the golden Fedal period. It's all about NBA, NFL, soccer, Golf and so on. They let RF walk, all you need to know.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts