Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
It's been going on for quite some time already, as many have pointed out. And I think it's called 'fashion'.

These designers will do anything to make the players stand out from the rest and making them look hideous unfortunately serves the purpose well enough.

At least these outfits are not forgettable, are they? I don't think so as we're discussing them here.

Not a fan of these creations either though as a fan of simple and classic designs, but I kind of get what the designers are after.

And why am I botheted to any degree by what the players are wearing?
Because I think tennis is best when it's pleasing to the eye, not when something is distracting you from the play itself all the time.
I am not sure that's the designers' primary goal. That still should be making a profit for the company, i.e. sales. I have no bloody idea who'd buy this atrocity. I usually don't buy Nike out of spite, however, even if I wanted to, the contest between the pj's and the unicorn vomit is so tight, I wouldn't know what to choose. Truly perplexing choices.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Shapo looking sharp in his Nike's this week. Wonder why he didn't have to wear pj tops? If Nike is moving out of tennis it's probably not getting the desired return on their money which is probably because of declining tennis interest in the all important USA market.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's been quite bad for a looong time (I remember f.e the fugly potato sacks designs for the girls at the USO 2013, making poor Azarenka look pregnant) but they've taken it down to another level this year and now it's just hideous. What stands out for me this year it's not that they are bad, but that the men designs, with all that spotted shit that looks like it was designed by Lee Bowery, are even worse than the women's, and that's really saying something. When I see Dimitrov wearing that thing it still cracks me up :ROFLMAO: I am sorry but he looked like an absolute joke.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Do people actually buy tennis wear? Seems to be very little difference between it and other sportswear except some celeb tennis players have worn it.

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
Do people actually buy tennis wear? Seems to be very little difference between it and other sportswear except some celeb tennis players have worn it.
Nobody buys tennis wear. Why would you buy a 50 dollar Polka Dot Sweater, when you can buy a 2 dollar breathable shirt?

Even when kids play tennis they often have a Jersey for their school

Reactions: chilazon

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I am not sure that's the designers' primary goal. That still should be making a profit for the company, i.e. sales.
You might well be right here. However, looking at the bigger picture I often think that these brand owners just want visibility and publicity above anything else these days: something that will keep the brand in people's minds retaining it's well known status, which will in the long run result in much higher income and profit for the company than just the money coming from the clothing sales.

Then switching to thinking about this from a single designer's perspective, I'm afraid they just want to create something new and memorable, something that's not been around for years already. And since the simple and classic designs have been around for ages, they must feel this urge to create anything but that 'old stuff' again.
Which actually might sound as a wise move for those responsible for the business/sales within the company, as a lot of people will already have the old stuff and are looking for something new to buy.

Tough luck, since I'm pretty sure there are no huge crowds buying these new 'highly artistic creations'.

And no, I wouldn't buy that stuff either (for my brothers or male friends, even though practically all of them play tennis).

·
Registered
711 Posts
It has been this way since 2015. Nike surely has gone downhill in the design of tennis outfit. It also strikes me that they no longer want to invest in tennis as much as they did in the past (dropping Federer) and possibly shifting the focus to American audience (for example sponsoring Coco Gauff) or even to other sports. The highest profile nextgen players are also not sponsored by Nike so I don't see why they would have any motivation to come up with better design. Even for Nadal I don't see there is any effort put in to refresh his outfit. Compared that to some classic Wimbledon outfits they had for Roger in 2007/2009, which were not to everyone's taste, you definitely see Nike's decline in tennis.
Gauff is sponsored by New Balance.

Also, aren't Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime Nike players? Rublev too.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
You might well be right here. However, looking at the bigger picture I often think that these brand owners just want visibility and publicity above anything else these days: something that will keep the brand in people's minds retaining it's well known status, which will in the long run result in much higher income and profit for the company than just the money coming from the clothing sales.

Then switching to thinking about this from a single designer's perspective, I'm afraid they just want to create something new and memorable, something that's not been around for years already. And since the simple and classic designs have been around for ages, they must feel this urge to create anything but that 'old stuff' again.
Which actually might sound as a wise move for those responsible for the business/sales within the company, as a lot of people will already have the old stuff and are looking for something new to buy.

Tough luck, since I'm pretty sure there are no huge crowds buying these new 'highly artistic creations'.

And no, I wouldn't buy that stuff either (for my brothers or male friends, even though practically all of them play tennis).
I don't know. Those kits are mass produced and surely have to be approved before hitting stores. Designers can't just have their creative juices flowing and make whatever is on their (often excessively creative) mind. Also, I reckon, most players who are stuck with them are not big enough names to promote the brand by simply wearing its logo. Ofc, Nadal, Serena, Sharapova or Fed in the past can wear an exclusive potato sack and it would fly off the shelves. But nobody will remember what Kecmanovic wore, no disrespect intended.
It really looks like they have given up on this niche.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Gauff is sponsored by New Balance.

Also, aren't Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime Nike players? Rublev too.
Kecmanovic, Sinner also.

·
Premium Member
21,466 Posts
I think Nike doesn't really gave a f about tennis anymore, compared to the golden Fedal period. It's all about NBA, NFL, soccer, Golf and so on. They let RF walk, all you need to know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This started earlier than in 2020. LOL. The designers too deeply lost themselves into the sophistication of a design straitly different from standard models. Frankly speaking, it was an unsuccessful experiment. The same situation is with Puma. I have abandoned for a long time of these two brands. To tell the truth, I understood that I give my preference to more standard and classic models. I usually order the training shoes from online stores and for the last time, I had success to find a cool model of Addidas for a very affordable price on What tennis shoes have the best arch support? - tenniswearguide.com . They are for tennis, but I took them for the workout in the gym and I remained very pleased because the leg is very tightly fixed in it and it is very convenient and safe.

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
This started earlier than in 2020. LOL. The designers too deeply lost themselves into the sophistication of a design straitly different from standard models. It was an unsuccessful experiment.
Yeah terrible designs around the Pink Era I think (start of 2016-2017??)

Some point they switched over to Neon Colors and then from there it went all down hill

2013 Nadal US Open . Fricken GREAT.
French Open 2013: Why Rafael Nadal's Early Struggles May Give Him ...
FO 2013 Nadal. Great

Federer 2014
Roger Federer Photos Photos: 2014 U.S. Open - Day 11 | Roger ...

I'm not sure what happened. It must take a lot more effort to make the polka dot outfit then it does to blend some colors and lines...

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
You guys seem to miss the point, in the current marketing era most important is people talking about it, just like on this thread, these bad looking outfits draw attention. As far as I know H&M were the first with this strategy with Tomas Berdych.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have they hired a monkey or a six year old to design their tennis clothing line!? I've seen Dimitrov in an ugly ass Pollock inspired (I suppose) outfit at the AO, Rublev too in Rotterdam today and the shorts of Kecmanovic yesterday hurt my eyes. What is going on?
Their "eat more chicken" shirts are really ugly and don't seem to fit any of the athletes. Many have been seen ripping them off in anger. UGLY NIKE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys seem to miss the point, in the current marketing era most important is people talking about it, just like on this thread, these bad looking outfits draw atte
ntion. As far as I know H&M were the first with this strategy with Tomas Berdych.
It was ugly on Berdych too and he flamed out. Clowns draw attention too but nobody buys clown clothes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shapo looking sharp in his Nike's this week. Wonder why he didn't have to wear pj tops? If Nike is moving out of tennis it's probably not getting the desired return on their money which is probably because of declining tennis interest in the all important USA market.
Back to the Nike Uglies for Shopo and it didn't help. He lost ugly. Worst outfits in tennis. Made by 6 year olds, designed by 6 year olds sold to fools.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Most brands made really nice kits for post hiatus/clay stretch. Nike really stood out with its new batch of fugliness.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Was it a defect of my tv or did Nadal in RG have a red headband and pink wristbands? It hurt my eyesight. Also, to train, ordinary people don't buy those colors.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Have they hired a monkey or a six year old to design their tennis clothing line!? I've seen Dimitrov in an ugly ass Pollock inspired (I suppose) outfit at the AO, Rublev too in Rotterdam today and the shorts of Kecmanovic yesterday hurt my eyes. What is going on?
nike ran out of their really good ideas years ago so now they are trying to resell past ideas. In defense of nike, it's really hard to come up with something new and different. Think about how many different companies there are and how many different styles we have seen! infinite. so it's hard to come up with something new and good.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts