Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have they hired a monkey or a six year old to design their tennis clothing line!? I've seen Dimitrov in an ugly ass Pollock inspired (I suppose) outfit at the AO, Rublev too in Rotterdam today and the shorts of Kecmanovic yesterday hurt my eyes. What is going on?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Have they hired a monkey or a six year old to design their tennis clothing line!? I've seen Dimitrov in an ugly ass Pollock inspired (I suppose) outfit at the AO, Rublev too in Rotterdam today and the shorts of Kecmanovic yesterday hurt my eyes. What is going on?
Last year (around mid season), Denis and other sponsored players were wearing some sort of design that looked alike grannys curtains. Absolutely hideous!

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
It has been this way since 2015. Nike surely has gone downhill in the design of tennis outfit. It also strikes me that they no longer want to invest in tennis as much as they did in the past (dropping Federer) and possibly shifting the focus to American audience (for example sponsoring Coco Gauff) or even to other sports. The highest profile nextgen players are also not sponsored by Nike so I don't see why they would have any motivation to come up with better design. Even for Nadal I don't see there is any effort put in to refresh his outfit. Compared that to some classic Wimbledon outfits they had for Roger in 2007/2009, which were not to everyone's taste, you definitely see Nike's decline in tennis.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah they sure had some misses before but now they've outdone their selves.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Nike has been hideous for some time now. Who can forget those pink and black diagonal split tops?
Felix's pajamas are an embarrassment, and those psychedlic cow shorts on Dimi no better.
Fortunately, Rafa gets to wear things only for him, and they're fine.
But the rest is atrocious.

I like adidias men's kits best.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
It's the norm nowadays for them. It also gets annoying watching events where it seems as though everyone is wearing the exact same Nike attire. Think it was around the middle of last year - felt like every match I ever switched on was two players wearing a white T with 'rusty gold' shorts (or whatever it was).

This:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Nike might not sell any of these new tennis outfits, they are an abomination to the eye. Couldn't pay me to wear that rubbish.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,386 Posts
Yeah they sure had some misses before but now they've outdone their selves.
oh yeah, Dimitrov had the same at AO. I called it a meat and cheese platter.

He had pajama trackies too.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
It's the norm nowadays for them. It also gets annoying watching events where it seems as though everyone is wearing the exact same Nike attire. Think it was around the middle of last year - felt like every match I ever switched on was two players wearing a white T with 'rusty gold' shorts (or whatever it was).

This:
Maybe, it is annoying to you. But, it is good for Nike, Nike's promotion, and Nike's products, IMO; because spectators will actually be aware which of the tennis players and how many tennis players are being sponsored by Nike. In turn, spectators or lovers of the sport may buy Nike's products because Nike is supporting the game. Also, maybe, it is too much work for Nike to design and produce different outfits for different players without getting much in return. Nike anyways comes up with unique outfits for more popular players like Rafa, Federer, Dimitrov, etc. and they do not ask these more popular players to wear the same outfits as less popular players like Rublev, del Potro, Kyrgios, etc., which is fine.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Nike is moving out of tennis mostly so they're not going to put a lot of effort into designs.
Doesn't say much for the company, though. A well-run company would have pride in everything it does and would not want its brand associated with shoddy, lazy designs.

The message is: We only do good work when we have to. And that's not a good look.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It's been going on for quite some time already, as many have pointed out. And I think it's called 'fashion'.

These designers will do anything to make the players stand out from the rest and making them look hideous unfortunately serves the purpose well enough.

At least these outfits are not forgettable, are they? I don't think so as we're discussing them here.

Not a fan of these creations either though as a fan of simple and classic designs, but I kind of get what the designers are after.

And why am I botheted to any degree by what the players are wearing?
Because I think tennis is best when it's pleasing to the eye, not when something is distracting you from the play itself all the time.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've seen many posters kinda defending the big multi-billion dollar corporation and I don't really get it cos' many defenders also seem to agree the designs this particular brand has are indeed hideous looking. As Sara X in her post above says tennis is enjoyed best when it's pleasing to the eye and the designs are distracting and not in a good way.

Maybe it's true that the brand is not putting too much effort in the sports (tennis) anymore and choose other venues to present themselves but withdraw completely then or show some effort at least. Not this half-hearted attempt they are doing now. Where they are ridiculed - they showed Dimitrov at the AO in the tracksuit - on the Dutch public broadcast equivalent of sportscenter. Not for the tennis he played but the outfit he wore.

Also to be fair Dull's Nike outfit is decent looking, I don't like the flashy color schemes as I'm not a fan of bright colors in general but I like the idea and they're not distracting when I watch matches of Dull. So Nike can do it, which is a bit my point. They choose not to and I wonder(ed) why.

Same can be said of the white and rusty/brown shorts last year that FAA and also Kecmanovic rocked, I think the pants have an ugly color sure but the white shirt was fine. I don't have as much problems with them as the designs in general were fine and not distracting. But the psychedelic short Kecmanovic rocks at the moment and Dimitrov wore a shirt like that with the same pattern in Rotterdam and the dots track suit at AO and current design of Rublev's shirt are plain ugly.

It seems that (most of us that posted at least) are in agreement over that and I figured I'm not the only one and that's the bottom line.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The designs have grown on me, especially for those mixing the colourful shirts or shorts with some solid colours like white. Grigor, Karen, etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts