Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the record was for most singles title wins in a year and if Federer had a chance to break it? It's only July and he's already won 5 titles and looks to be on track for #6 tomorrow in Gstaad, unless Novak pulls off a shocking upset in the final. Let's see, I think Safin won an amazing 8 events in 2000, but someone's probably done better than that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Roger still has some way to go. In 1995 Muster won 12 titles, that might not be the record. Perhaps Connors or Lendl won more than that in their time.

Sampras won 10 titles in 1994.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
He certainly has some way to go. For the record, Ivan Lendl won 15 titles during 1982, none of them a Grand Slam. He is also the owner of an incredible 44-match winning streak, the longest in history of any male player. Roger would have to win every event he enters this year from now on just to match that kind of achievement. And I think Safin won seven in 2000... not to pour scorn on him, that's still an amazing record.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
safin won 7 titles in 2000 and guga , 5. but kuerten finished the season as the champion´s race #1

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
virex said:
safin won 7 titles in 2000 and guga , 5. but kuerten finished the season as the champion´s race #1
Ah, what a year! That came down to the wire--the 3 pointer with one second on the clock! Guga is the greatest!!!

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, Sjengster. Looks like Roger's chances to break Lendl's record this year are slim to none.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Novak beat Federer 5-7, 6-3, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3. Ooops.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Well done, Jiri!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts