Mens Tennis Forums banner

Why hasn't a male player won a GS for almost 30 years?

• Structural problem in french tennis

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Lack of luck

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Just not good enough

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • All mental midgets

Votes: 33 53.2%
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly guys, it's becoming more and more embarassing.
No GS won by a male player for almost 30 years despite the fact they have more ressources invested in tennis and more players than all the 4 countries represented by the currently top 4 combined.
How can it be explained??
Mental strenght?? well, if it was really a french specifity then they wouldn't perform as well as they do in other sports (team sports especially).
Not good enough?? perhaps.........
Unlucky??? 30 years of no luck?? give me a break.......
A bit of both?? probably.....

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The current top 4 is just too good for everyone, not just for french players. Actually frenchs players are among the best players just after the top 4. Tsonga, Monfils, Gasquet are very good players and France have decent results in DC those last years.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
No magic potion maybe? :lol:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
You're being too hard on them. I like watching French players. They're just unlucky.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
Gasquet doesn't believe in him. He plays the best tennis to lose. A tactical headcase.
Piatti should me be mad watching him 2 meters behind the baseline trying to grind out Ferrer :facepalm:
He should have played S&V and chip and charge. Perhaps, he would have lost too but it couldn't have been worse than he did.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Current top 3 + Murray are too good.

Tsonga is inconsistent and has obvious flaws in his game that limit him. With luck he could still win a slam should he remain injury free.
Monfils is an idiot who always gets injured
Simon's got about as many weapons as Iceland
Gasquet's a flake.

I don't think there's anything wrong with french tennis structurally since you're producing a lot of good players, you just haven't had quite the right player come along lately to be really great.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
French tennis has the best mix of characters and variety of game styles bar none. Which makes them fascinating to follow, even if they don't rack up slams.

Reactions: Mystique

·
Registered
200 Posts
whats wrong with Serbia? Only 8mill ppl, one of the best nations to all ball games, from tennis, to volleyball,waterpolo,football,basketball and handball... And all that despite not using money on young talents at all, in all sports...

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
U.S. tennis has been very poor for some time now so I'm not pointing any fingers at the French tennis players for sure!

·
Registered
27,280 Posts
Not Gasquet thats for sure.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On second thought, i would say luck plays a big part.
Take tsonga: the guy would have most certainly won a Slam during the 90's but the slowness of surfaces since 2000 + the huge improvment in term of défensive skills through some players(nadal,djoker, Murray) make it almost impossible for him to win a grand slam unless he considerably improves his bh and his defensive play.......or unless ATP creates an indoor GS.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
U.S. tennis has been very poor for some time now so I'm not pointing any fingers at the French tennis players for sure!
Well considering all the success you had in the last 30 years,your situation is certainly not one to complain!
Hell, you even won a GS in 2003 through Roddick.
Keep in mind that tennis is the second most practiced sport in france so you can easily understand why french tennis fans are so confused about this malediction.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The current top 4 is just too good for everyone, not just for french players. Actually frenchs players are among the best players just after the top 4. Tsonga, Monfils, Gasquet are very good players and France have decent results in DC those last years.
All these players are talented and have a big potential, no doubt. But hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. A prime example of this was a match between Monfils and Kukushkin ...:shrug:

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All these players are talented and have a big potential, no doubt. But hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. A prime example of this was a match between Monfils and Kukushkin ...:shrug:
Monfils was apparently injured in that match though.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
France have 4 players that have been in the top 10 at some point in the last few years (Tsonga, Monfils, Simon, Gasquet) yet only Tsonga is there at the moment. Those four clearly have the potential to be right at the top of the game but lack the consistency and tactical awareness to make the most of their abilities. Therefore, I went for option 4.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
France have 4 players that have been in the top 10 at some point in the last few years (Tsonga, Monfils, Simon, Gasquet) yet only Tsonga is there at the moment. Those four clearly have the potential to be right at the top of the game but lack the consistency and tactical awareness to make the most of their abilities. Therefore, I went for option 4.
Players like rainer schutler, fish, tipsarevic or robredo also made the top 10 at least once in their career but they never were contenders for big titles.
Making the top 10 hardly means anything nowadays.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
We seem to get this thread after every GS, and the answer is still the same. Hardly anyone wins a slam. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Del Potro (once) are the only recent winners. It so happens none of them are French.

Why is this so surprising?

Look at the results Murray has had in terms of his record against top 10 players, MS titles, the fact his best surface is hard courts (=2 slams on hard), and yet you still can't say it is that surprising he has not won one. There are 3 players who are better than him. Sometimes he beats one then loses to another. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It´s a mix bag.

You have Tsonga, that has been really unfortunate with injuries and Monfils that also had some injuries, but for the most part clearly doesn´t know how to use his talent and potential. A mental wreck.

As for Gasquet, he simply doesn´t have the power game to crack the Top4´s game. In the 80/90´s he would find sucess. Not in this era.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I don't see any problem with French tennis.

11 guys in top 100

4 of them in top 20.

If the French have a problem in tennis, what should the States, Italy, Russia or Germany say....

1 - 20 of 102 Posts