10,504 Posts
Re: Whats the point of living?

To watch Nole matches.

Ajde :sad:

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
There isn't one.

But since you're here, might as well make the best of it. It'll be over before long anyway - we're a brief insignificant blip on one planet in a vast, turbulent universe, shining brightly and then winking out. You're a long time dead, so live well, have fun, be nice to people.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Reactions: cobalt60

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
You're right.
That's my view as a non-religious person - I don't see myself as part of the master plan of some invisible sky spirit, I don't think I have a grand destiny to fulfil either, so...in the larger sense, there is no point to my existence, except what I am able to make of it.

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
That's my view as a non-religious person - I don't see myself as part of the master plan of some invisible sky spirit, I don't think I have a grand destiny to fulfil either, so...in the larger sense, there is no point to my existence, except what I am able to make of it.
^^50k posts :worship: Btw, if there's no point, then you can't really make anything of it, can you?

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
^^50k posts :worship: Btw, if there's no point, then you can't really make anything of it, can you?
You can make the best of your time here - be a good friend, partner, lover, son/daughter, parent, workmate - make the best you can of the hand you were dealt and enhance the lives of those around you with your presence - that's about all any of us can do. We're all here, I don't advocate mass suicide in the face of the pointlessness of existence, so we might as well try and be good to each other and leave the metaphysical questions to whatever higher beings there might be out there.

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
Yup, in that case one could ask why should we be good then, when we are all going to die very soon - doesn't matter anyway, but perhaps there's no point asking such things :)

·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts
I on the other hand honestly believe that there is a purpose to your existence (and mine): To appreciate the company of other people as well as form a relationship with God.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Yup, in that case one could ask why should we be good then, when we are all going to die very soon - doesn't matter anyway, but perhaps there's no point asking such things :)
We're all going to die soon, but we can choose how to spend that time alive - making ourselves and everyone else miserable, or enhancing the lives of others. Personally I'm happier being happy and making other people happy if I can...

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
We're romantic beings who love simple, elegant answers to all questions. There needn't be a point.

My philosophy in general is about focusing on what I can do with what I'm given, rather than what anyone or anything highly hypothetical would have intended for me. I see possibility rather than purpose.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
we are but a collection of highly improbable mistakes... on every level... there can be no point where extreme luck is concerned

you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake... where you are now, you cannot imagine what the bottom will be like...

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
To spend 20+ years on this planet deluding yourself that you're working towards "a future" and working hard towards said future, just for life to throw you a fucking curveball out of nowhere that sounds, looks, tastes and smells like a terminal disease, thereby robbing you of said "future" and rendering life rather meaningless. I guess the best that anyone can do is hope to hell that one somehow avoids bad luck and shitty coincidences that lead to said bad luck. Anyone who really thinks there's a grand plan or "predestination" is, quite honestly, retarded.

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
To spend 20+ years on this planet deluding yourself that you're working towards "a future" and working hard towards said future, just for life to throw you a fucking curveball out of nowhere that sounds, looks, tastes and smells like a terminal disease, thereby robbing you of said "future" and rendering life rather meaningless. I guess the best that anyone can do is hope to hell that one somehow avoids bad luck and shitty coincidences that lead to said bad luck. Anyone who really thinks there's a grand plan or "predestination" is, quite honestly, retarded.
I don't get the correlation between the two. If there is no grand plan as you say, then it's not really a bad luck, since death is inevitable - there is nothing to fulfill, so few years here or there should be meaningless.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Not sure, but I'll take whatever comes out.

I've wondered the same thing at points in my life, but that was when I gave too much weight to what was happening in my external environment. Now, I'm delighted by simple things and am thankful each day I'm alive.

Keep up the fight. Sometimes willingness to move through pain helps you to find purpose. It also gives you a chance to see just how strong you are.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts