Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I honestly can't think of one in the last three years. Can any of you?

EDIT TO ADD: I'm referring to the majors.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Hmmm maybe last years US Open Sampras vs Agassi ?? (can't really tell as I've only seen bits and peaces)

But I for sure agree with jmp Goran/Pat Wimby 01

oh and how about that TMS Final in Shanghai Hewitt vs Ferrero?? BTW also the semis between Hewitt and Roger was pretty competitive imo but it wasn't a final I agree...

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
In the last three years, from Wimbledon 2000 onwards: Sampras v Rafter, Kuerten v Corretja (for 2 sets, before Kuerten completely thrashed him), Ivanisevic v Rafter, Johansson v Safin, Sampras v Agassi. Yes, those are mostly older players... it's hardly surprising that we've had such one-sided finals recently, given that Nalbandian, Schuettler and Verkerk have become amazing surprise finalists and then had to play the top three players in the world in their respective finals. The Wimbledon and Roland Garros finals even had exactly the same scoreline, 6-1, 6-3, 6-2.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Ivanisevic vs Rafter
Safin vs Johansson

Unless competitive doesnt mean what I think it does...

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Sjengster
In the last three years, from Wimbledon 2000 onwards: Sampras v Rafter, Kuerten v Corretja (for 2 sets, before Kuerten completely thrashed him), Ivanisevic v Rafter, Johansson v Safin, Sampras v Agassi. Yes, those are mostly older players... it's hardly surprising that we've had such one-sided finals recently, given that Nalbandian, Schuettler and Verkerk have become amazing surprise finalists and then had to play the top three players in the world in their respective finals. The Wimbledon and Roland Garros finals even had exactly the same scoreline, 6-1, 6-3, 6-2.
Sjengster, that's quite a list. I'm glad you reminded me of some of these matches. You make a good point about the recent one-sided affairs. My thinking, however, is that these first time finalists worked so hard to get there that it's a shame they can't make a better showing. But, what can you do in the face of the top three players in the world?

Princess Liz, I think most of us have the same interpretation of what constitutes a competitive match. I agree with Sjenster about Sampras/Rafter 2000. I think I discount Kuerten/Corretja for the reason Sjenster stated. Kuerten completed thrashed Corretja after two sets. Maybe I expect too much of Safin after seeing him on fire. But, I was pretty put off by his performance in the AO final. I still remember him totally whiffing an overhead. :fiery: I'm still waiting for him to come back healthy and mentally tough enough to take more majors. Sampras/Agassi was nostalgic for me. But, it wasn't as good as their match at the quarters(?) in 2001. In the final, Sampras looked fresh and his shots were smoking! Agassi looked a step slow as if taking out Hewitt took too much out of him. Having written all that, I can still see how a lot of people would say it was competitive none the less.

It's all good. :D

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I think once Marat comes back...we will see a different player. He seems to have done a lot of thinking lately and making the right choices. Which is something he didn't used to do. So we will see. :)

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
I have to say the finals between Sampras and Agassi in USO2002. Agassi comes really close after 3rd set. I agree with jmp that it's not as good as their match in USO2001 but we are talking about finals here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the one that comes to mind is the final of Masters in Hong kong- ferrero vs hewitt! i think that deserved pretty lots of words! real fighters...

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
matchbox114 said:
the one that comes to mind is the final of Masters in Hong kong- ferrero vs hewitt! i think that deserved pretty lots of words! real fighters...
The Masters Cup is in Shanghai, not Hong Kong.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
All the Grand Slam semifinals, finals and TMS finals have been straight-set affairs this year - except for Roddick/Schuettler Down Under which went four sets, but was far from entertaining. Hmmmm. I hope this changes in the second half of the 2003 season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts