Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
:yeah:

Vampire's Kiss is legendary. A much funnier spoof of yuppie culture than American Psycho, with a better central performance. It's a shame it is now mostly known for the "you don't say" meme.

I still can't believe Nick Cage and Werner Herzog collaborated for that Bad Lieutenant "remake". It's the best thing ever. Keeping my fingers crossed for Daniel Day-Lewis to appear in an Uwe Boll film some day. God knows he is hammy enough to suit Boll's histrionic and ridiculous approach towards filmmaking and life in general.

Some more gems of Nicolas Cage at his best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lct6x-XqWrw

How he didn't nab an Oscar just for this historic scene I"ll never know

·
Registered
632 Posts
Pans Labyrinth is a truly great film.

Fun movie probably Freddy vs Jason:lol:

Growing up as a kid Stand By Me was a personal fave

Terminator 1 and 2 were both very good.

On a more serious note probably something like Shawshank Redemption, Seven and Michael douglas in falling down.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,394 Posts
Has nobody mentioned Home Alone 1 and 2?

Classics in their own right. Story, scenes and characters are dead memorable and humorous.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Really surprised nobody mentioned Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, this is quite an unique cinematic experience, those who have seen it will know what i'm talking about.

Dark City > The Matrix
Indeed! if you are into this kind of stuff i couldn't recommend more eXistenZ, this is really a mind boggling one. Also if you like gamers stuff there is that amazing little movie Avalon.

Dare Mo Shiranai and Inland Empire, greats of realism and surrealism, respectively.
I'm surprised you would prefer Inland Empire, for me Lost Highway is the masterpiece although i probably liked it more because of its extreme tension and suspense. Although i think Inland Empire epitomizes David Lynch in the style and narration.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,111 Posts
I'm surprised you would prefer Inland Empire, for me Lost Highway is the masterpiece although i probably liked it more because of its extreme tension and suspense. Although i think Inland Empire epitomizes David Lynch in the style and narration.
And it's the biggest mindfuck of them all and sort of a critique on Holywood which is why I think it is his masterpiece. My favourite is Mulholland Drive, though.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Mean Girls
Clueless
Paris is Burning
Grey Gardens
Silver Linings Playback
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Toy Story
Toy Story 3
The Fox and the Hound
Finding Nemo
10 Things I Hate About You
Dallas Buyers Club
The Normal Heart
Hunger Games 2

Those are my go-to's, except for Fox & The Hound (aka THE SADDEST MOVIE EVER) and Toy Story 3 (THE 2ND SADDEST MOVIE EVER) Pretty much kids movies and gay movies :lol: I don't like medieval stuff or anything with Nicholas Cage

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
School of Rock.

·
Registered
15,724 Posts
The plot was ridiculous and made absolutely no sense half the time. Batman Begins is better than TDK.

How has no one mentioned Ratatouille yet? Shameful.
I thought I was the only one who thought that, Batman Begins is the best of the three, the Dark Knight Rises is a mess. I always thought the plot was pretty tight on the first Batman too.

As for Ratatouille, not as good as Incredibles, Up or Monsters Inc for me but in general those Pixar films are consistently excellent.

I have a thing for films that are overshadowed at that years Oscars, Chinatown (which lost out to Godfather II) and Master and Commander (same year as Lord of the Rings) are two personal favourites. Chinatown is amazingly fucked up but a classic, I need to see Rosemary's Baby at some point. Master and Commander looks so beautiful and if you play it on surround sound it is like you are actually there, back when Russell Crowe had that amazing run (Insider-Gladiator-Beautiful Mind- Master and Commander), shame he hasn't been the same since all of those were brilliant.

my top ten would probably be something like, changes all the time;

10. Johnny English (just so funny, sorry)
9. Waterloo (the shear scale of the film is something else)
8. Lost In Translation
7. No Country for Old Men
6. the French Connection
5. Jean de Florette/Manon Des Sources
4. Up
3. Se7en
2. Senna (heartbreaking, gets better every time I see it)
1. JFK

Other classics: Don't Look Now, Zulu, Battle of Britain, Apocalypse Now, Gran Torino, Casablanca, Pixar films in general, Spirited Away, Silence of the Lambs, the Elephant Man, the first Star Wars, Grand Budapest Hotel, Wallace and Gromit; Curse of the Ware Rabbit, Shining, All the Presidents Men, Withnail & I, Murials Wedding, A Fish Called Wanda, Downfall and Inglorious Bastards.

I'm afraid most Lynch just goes straight over my head :lol: Deer Hunter and Platoon were shit., Brokeback Mountain was boring (Sorry Mimi) as was Thin Red Line, Godfather Part II was bad, Lord of the Rings is average and Hitchcock is decent but doesn't deserve that much praise. Worst film ever has to be the Blob, man that was bad. Raising Arizona was so bad I vomited, no kidding, did have food poising tho, Cohen Bros are great though, need to see that new film of theirs.

·
Registered
15,724 Posts
Mean Girls
Clueless
Paris is Burning
Grey Gardens
Silver Linings Playback
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Toy Story
Toy Story 3
The Fox and the Hound
Finding Nemo
10 Things I Hate About You
Dallas Buyers Club
The Normal Heart
Hunger Games 2

Those are my go-to's, except for Fox & The Hound (aka THE SADDEST MOVIE EVER) and Toy Story 3 (THE 2ND SADDEST MOVIE EVER) Pretty much kids movies and gay movies :lol: I don't like medieval stuff or anything with Nicholas Cage
Watched this couple of months back, how good is Mean Girls, need to see Clueless now. Freaky Friday is another Lohan classic, easily the best Disney/child star (although Timberlakes asshole turn in Social Network was impressive)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Something like this:

La Grande Illusion
La Règle du jeu
The Third Man
Smultronstället
Les 400 coups
Blow-Up
La Belle du Jour
Z
Amarcord
Barry Lyndon
Manhattan
Осенний марафон
Le Dernier Métro
Zelig
Mephisto
Fanny och Alexander
Once Upon a Time in America
Mauvais Sang
Barton Fink
Trois couleurs : Rouge
Conte d'automne
Lundi matin
Mulholland Drive
There Will Be Blood
A Serious Man

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,394 Posts
Some others:
James Bond - Skyfall (Yeah I know, everybody likes HMSS). Also got a soft spot for Moonraker, hysterical movie :lol:

Disney - The Lion King (of course)

Fair Game (2010) - weird I'd mention this but this politically inspired movie about CIA scandal and information leak (and lots of WMD accusations) is surprisingly captivating, also helps there is a strong cast including Naomi Watts and Sean Penn (the other Sean Penn one I love is "I Am Sam" (A mentally handicapped man fights to keep custody of his growing daughter).

Radio (2003) - a feel good movie, great story, drama and emotion throughout. Oh and there's football. Lots of football.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
The Iron Giant.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Something like this:

La Grande Illusion
La Règle du jeu
The Third Man
Smultronstället
Les 400 coups
Blow-Up
La Belle du Jour
Z
Amarcord
Barry Lyndon
Manhattan
Осенний марафон
Le Dernier Métro
Zelig
Mephisto
Fanny och Alexander
Once Upon a Time in America
Mauvais Sang
Barton Fink
Trois couleurs : Rouge
Conte d'automne
Lundi matin
Mulholland Drive
There Will Be Blood
A Serious Man
The whole István Szabó's trilogy is stunning, Brandauer acted his guts out and the themes of all movies are very strong.

·
Premium Member
8,639 Posts
Train to Busan
Wanted to name the same movie, it's definitely one of the best movies I've seen in the last period.

I Saw The Devil, Confessions and Perfect Number also come to mind.

·
Bring it Home
20,319 Posts
Tough to pick just one.

I'm picking 5 (in no particular order):
The Silence of the Lambs
The Shawshank Redemption
Notorious
Vertigo
Back To The Future

61 - 80 of 98 Posts