Mens Tennis Forums banner

What's the biggest surprise of 2008 so far?

• Fed losing at the SF of AO

Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Kei Nishikori winning Delray Beach

Votes: 24 17.1%
  • Stakhovsky winning Zagreb

Votes: 51 36.4%
  • Llodra winning two titles and being #4 in the race

Votes: 23 16.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 16 11.4%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Nice pool, but sorry...I just cant make a decision :rolls:
There were so many surprises (already until march!).

OK, lets say Nishikori winning Delray Beach.
Zagreb is more of a mug tournament anyway, average Fed losing against the Djoke was not a total shock and Llodra is always dangerous indoors.

May All Beings Be Happy!!
For me Nishikori's amazing win in Del Ray Beach and defeating Blake to the bargain was by far the surprise of the year.

Registered
Kei's win in DB was :eek:, but I prefer Stakhovsky :p, he beat better players than Kei.

Premium Member
Great question, and out of the 4 main options, I can only OMIT Federer, as his run to Grand Slam finals was, at some stage, inevitably to end.

Few could have expected Llodra to start the year like an express train, and I'm sure the majority would never have imagined Nishikori and Stakhovsky winning a title just yet. Certainly, as concerns Stakhovsky, I wasn't really expecting him to appear more than a couple of times at ATP level this season. :tape:

I'm going to stick my neck out and pull for Nishikori in this one...the Delray Beach entry list was a little bit better than the Zagreb one, this week.

Registered
Tsonga's Aussie Open run.

EDIT:

Forget what I said. Just now realized the Stakhovsky win, so I'd vote for him if I could change it. Nishikori already had decent results before his win in DB.

Banned
Kei is not even close. He had been showing good form well before Delray Beach. I had literally forgotten Stakhovsky even existed prior to Zagreb. And winning as a LUCKY LOSER is just icing on the cake.

Registered
Stakhovsky won?
Oh my god!

Registered
Stakhovsky winning the singles title in Zagreb was the biggest surprise of 2008(till now)

Registered
Tsonga runner-up at the AO.

Registered
Nishikori's win. Also, Tipsarevic almost taking out Federer at the AO. The Tsonga run to the final didn't really surprise me, but Murray losing to him 1r kind of did.

Registered
Very good thread, really. Another like this should be at the end of the year

I voted for Stakhovsky (BANDWAGON ALERT)

Registered
Stakhovsky... he lost to Kavcic in final R of qualifying, too bad Kavcic couldn't get further :eek:

But as a LL, it's really amazing how he won. And the loss in qualy was a big big surprise, I guess negative for him, and then the win, totally opposite.

Registered
good thread, but i think we have to look forward for more shocking results in 2008

Registered
Safin fans still believing Mapat could win something is a big surprise to me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts