16,500 Posts
His substantially receding hairline.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
1. Body / Fitness
2. Motivation
3. Confidence

Some would also say biological passport, but that's an unproven assumption at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
8,829 Posts
Just one thing: His forehand.

Reactions: Claybot

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm not sure he has any particular problem. Just a generalized slump, but he seems to be getting out of it.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Consistency.

He's put in some good performance but consistency has been the problem, whether that be match to match or over the course of a longer match.

·
Registered
27,242 Posts
His opponents playing at 60%

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
It's certainly not consistency, that's for sure. Nadal's best performances this year have been a shadow of his best performances from previous years and even average level, one could argue.

His mobility has decreased. Even in 2013, he was hardly at his most agile but things seem to have declined since then, as one would expect. His sprint speed when retrieving drop shots against Djokovic was quite shocking.

He seems to lack the level of intensity required to position and then execute those taxing forehands over and over and over. He's been missing balls at half pace, regularly.

His confidence is clearly a bit shot.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It's certainly not consistency, that's for sure. Nadal's best performances this year have been a shadow of his best performances from previous years and even average level, one could argue.

His mobility has decreased. Even in 2013, he was hardly at his most agile but things seem to have declined since then, as one would expect. His sprint speed when retrieving drop shots against Djokovic was quite shocking.

He seems to lack the level of intensity required to position and then execute those taxing forehands over and over and over. He's been missing balls at half pace, regularly.

His confidence is clearly a bit shot.
But in a sense this could be blamed on lack of consistency. Nadal is the kind of player that needs to be consistent and gain confidence in order to perform at his best.

I also noticed his problems with Djokovic's drop balls / lobs, but to me it looked like Nadal decided to not pursue most of them (not really a lack of speed, but a lack of motivation or confidence).

I do not buy that Nadal is in physical decline as much as it is something else. We will find out.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
I don't know if Nadal is in any serious physical decline but he's certainly in a physical slump and a mental slump when he comes up against players who test him physically. He currently has a fitness issue for the long explosive grind — it doesn't have to be terminal and he can reclaim something approaching old levels. He also has a glaring strategic problem currently against Djokovic.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I don't know if Nadal is in any serious physical decline but he's certainly in a physical slump and a mental slump when he comes up against players who test him physically. He currently has a fitness issue for the long explosive grind — it doesn't have to be terminal and he can reclaim something approaching old levels. He also has a glaring strategic problem currently against Djokovic.
Oh yeah. Definite slump. I just don't know how much of it is truly physical though. But it's hard to justify the RG QF loss by claiming it's just a problem with confidence or a mental block, as he gave the impression against Djokovic at times of either not trying hard enough, or not believing in his chances to fight for the match successfully.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
But in a sense this could be blamed on lack of consistency. Nadal is the kind of player that needs to be consistent and gain confidence in order to perform at his best.

I also noticed his problems with Djokovic's drop balls / lobs, but to me it looked like Nadal decided to not pursue most of them (not really a lack of speed, but a lack of motivation or confidence).

I do not buy that Nadal is in physical decline as much as it is something else. We will find out.
Consistency of what? What is his optimal level we can expect currently? Only that we can wait and find out. His highest level of 2015 has certainly not been a reflection of his past level. He can surely be consistently mediocre, but that's not Nadal and to improve to his former level he needs to improve physically as well as technically. Even when he won Roland Garros last year he looked like a shadow of his former self. Nadal will be good enough to get on the mend and challenge for the biggest titles but I doubt he will redeem himself completely at the age of 29.

Confidence has little to do with exploding and being quick enough to reach a short ball. Motivation - you cannot be serious. The guy is fighting for his 10th Roland Garros against the man touted to win the title.

Of course Nadal is in physical decline, it's how slowly he can control the decline at this point.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
The forehand. Nadal had some ups and downs during his career, but the forehand was always there hence he managed to get back. Now the forehand isn't working and without that weapon Nadal is barely a TOP10 player. He needs to find consistency, depth, spin and weight in that shot again. Not as much as some years ago as it is impossible for him now but if he finds a fair forehand he can be a contender for the big titles in the future.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
SERVE, consistency, Confidence (not in any particular order)
His first Serve% in RG was pathetic. His SEcond Serve was a joke. lack of pace, absolute absence of placement put his Serve ripe for assault .
Consistency was lacking. Thr" the clay season, his level varied from game to game and from match to match. He played decent Tennis against Grigor and faltered against Berdy and so on..
Confidence was AWOL . All returns and his FH were all landing within the Service Lane right in the strike zone for most opponents.

Things are changing in the Grass Season. Hope the improvements continue.
Title at Stuggart and a deep run at Queens will do a lot of good for all his deficiencies during the first part of 2015.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Consistency of what? What is his optimal level we can expect currently? Only that we can wait and find out. His highest level of 2015 has certainly not been a reflection of his past level. He can surely be consistently mediocre, but that's not Nadal and to improve to his former level he needs to improve physically as well as technically. Even when he won Roland Garros last year he looked like a shadow of his former self. Nadal will be good enough to get on the mend and challenge for the biggest titles but I doubt he will redeem himself completely at the age of 29.

Confidence has little to do with exploding and being quick enough to reach a short ball. Motivation - you cannot be serious. The guy is fighting for his 10th Roland Garros against the man touted to win the title.

Of course Nadal is in physical decline, it's how slowly he can control the decline at this point.
Is there any chance that he is putting most of his effort in the second half of the season for a change?

One thing I do know, and that is that changing his racket and experimenting with a new one shortly before Roland Garros did look like a strange thing to do.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Just inevitable decline with age. He turned pro in 2001 for god's sake. He doesn't have the explosive movement of yesteryear or the ability to remain mentally amped at 100% for a whole match, and his reaction and recovery times have slowed. In short the exact same thing that happens to everyone as they decline. Everything else follows from there, the losses which cause a loss of confidence in tight moments etc... Consistency also dissapears. It was the same with Federer. They can put in a good performance here and there, even for a whole tournament at times but can't produce it week in week out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts