Mens Tennis Forums banner

What would you say is more likely to happen this year?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
Very close between #1, #3, and #4.

I'd bet good money that #2 won't even come close to happening.
He's not beating Novak or Andy there without a serious return in form.

I think I'll go with #4 by a whisker.
For Novak to win both would be a monumental effort and I think it's slightly more likely that he'll win neither, as it's not too hard to envision a loss to Andy/Fed at Wimbledon and a random loss at the USO.
Neither of those things are unprecedented, and Novak has played a lot of tennis this year.
Also, these are his weakest slams IMO, he's better at RG than at either of these, his results be damned.

But no, I think he'll win one of them, no idea which.

Federer winning Wimbledon, aside from requiring me to change my pants, would be about as likely as Novak winning neither, but as I have to pick one, I'm going with the latter.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Djokovic winning both W and USO.

Other three options have 0% chance of happening.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Very close between #1, #3, and #4.

I'd bet good money that #2 won't even come close to happening.
He's not beating Novak or Andy there without a serious return in form.

I think I'll go with #4 by a whisker.
For Novak to win both would be a monumental effort and I think it's slightly more likely that he'll win neither, as it's not too hard to envision a loss to Andy/Fed at Wimbledon and a random loss at the USO.
Neither of those things are unprecedented, and Novak has played a lot of tennis this year.
Also, these are his weakest slams IMO, he's better at RG than at either of these, his results be damned.

But no, I think he'll win one of them, no idea which.

Federer winning Wimbledon, aside from requiring me to change my pants, would be about as likely as Novak winning neither, but as I have to pick one, I'm going with the latter.
Nah Feds NEVER WINNING WIMBLEDON. And I will bet good money against that happening. Any player who can be competitive for 5 sets will beat him now. You guys honestly believe he can go on forever.

I think Naval will either take WC or USO. But not both. He has to salvage some pride from this year.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts

100% Djokovic 0% RG Champion. 0% chance Stan won with 100% RG Champion. Odds should be infinity no? :eek:

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
Nah Feds NEVER WINNING WIMBLEDON. And I will bet good money against that happening. Any player who can be competitive for 5 sets will beat him now. You guys honestly believe he can go on forever.

I think Naval will either take WC or USO. But not both. He has to salvage some pride from this year.
There's like 2-3 guys on the tour with any chance of doing that at Wimbledon though.

Djokovic, Murray, maybe Stan.

No-one else has much of a chance if he serves well, so if he plays reasonably, doesn't get into 4-5 set dogfights before the final, and avoids all or most of the above players, then he has a solid chance.

Possible scenario: Fed gets an easy draw with Stan in his half, Stan bombs out in the 3R, Andy/Novak take one of themselves out, and presto, Fed gets at least another final without too much difficulty.
And come on, it's effing Wimbledon, Fed would have more than a puncher's chance against either of them in the final.
Novak served out of his mind last year and nearly lost, he's not repeating that performance on serve every year, and I actually think Fed would be the favourite against Andy.

This is of course barring him running into some red-hot lower-tier player in the early rounds, but I never said that it wouldn't take some luck or that it would be particularly likely anyway.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
This thread is sponsored by Astrology™.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Anyone NOT winning two majors is always more likely than them winning both. Federer and Nadal are pretty much done, so that's even less likely.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I think Roland Garros MAY have been a mental blow to Djokovic, causing less confidence in other tournaments, resulting in losses in both wimbledon and usopen. Even if it wasn't a major blow, those 2 are hardly set in stone even when he plays fairly solid, so an upset or loss against a solid competitor are possible.

Him winning both is definitely possible but for reasons mentioned above seems less likely. Federer winning Wimbledon is kind of the same, he can do it, but upsets are very possible and he isn't a favourite against most top competitors anymore.

I don't see Nadal winning USO unless he totally changes his level for the remainder of the season.

So I'd say like 30%/10%/10%/2% chance. That means Djokovic has a 70% chance to win either Wimbledon or USO or both, may be a bit high, not sure.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Any player not winning 2 slams in a row is likely in general....so Djokovic not winning either. However, he is more likely to win 2 in a row than Nadal and Federer are to win 1 slam..so that's second followed by Fed winning Wimbledon and then Nadal winning USO. Hopefully, I will be proven wrong and Federer will get to #8 and Nadal to #3 at Wimbledon and USO respectively.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Just some random scenarios that look about as likely to me
Imagine this scenario:
-Marin Ćilić to win Wimbledon
-Rafael Nadal to win USO

If that happens (I know, chances are less then 1%), we would have the same 4 GS winners in 2014 and 2015, but winning different GS's:
Novak => Wimby '14 and AO '15
Marin => USO '14 and Wimby '15
Rafa => RG '14 and USO '15
Stanimal => AO '14 and RG '15

It would be crazy! :D

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Imagine this scenario:
-Marin Ćilić to win Wimbledon
-Rafael Nadal to win USO

If that happens (I know, chances are less then 1%), we would have the same 4 GS winners in 2014 and 2015, but winning different GS's:
Novak => Wimby '14 and AO '15
Marin => USO '14 and Wimby '15
Rafa => RG '14 and USO '15
Stanimal => AO '14 and RG '15

It would be crazy! :D
I don't like Cilic or Nadal, but I wouldn't mind that happening just for novelties sake. Also with Nadal MTF as a collective dislikes him more than me, so the reaction to 2015 Declinedal winning the USO would be :drool:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

Your posts are so easy predictable. If your predictions were right all the time (not even close in reality), Novak would win the Decade Grand Slam (ALL GS's from 2011 to 2020).

If someone who doesn't know anything about tennis, would read your posts, he would believe Novak is some sort of deity, and ALL OTHER players are at the level of my 6y old kids.

We all cheer for some players, but damn, we all have some limits when admiring our favorite player. You have none. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Your posts are so easy predictable. If your predictions were right all the time (not even close in reality), Novak would win the Decade Grand Slam (ALL GS's from 2011 to 2020).

If someone who doesn't know anything about tennis, would read your posts, he would believe Novak is some sort of deity, and ALL OTHER players are at the level of my 6y old kids.

We all cheer for some players, but damn, we all have some limits when admiring our favorite player. You have none. :rolleyes:
That is because his favourite player is definitely Federer or Nadal(or whoever but it is not Djokovic). His sole purpose in making such posts is to ensure Djokovic gets denigrated by others.

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
'Djokovic not winning Wimbledon or US Open' is the most likely option. It is more likely that he will win one of them over winning both. He could still win both, he might win neither.

Edit:...also if option 1 or 2 happen, option 4 happens.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts