Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what would you consider a great match. Matches that go through tie-breakers all three/five sets, 5-hour matches, incredible shots, matches between two of the most good-looking guys on tour ;) What makes a match great for you?

Thanks in advance. :bounce:

·
Chiudi-fan
75,900 Posts
The match I like the most, is as the players are as good as each other. I like to see some nice rallys, but also some nice short points.
And of course it makes the match better if Federer or Hewitt will play :D :D :D

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
there are great matches and there are great matches :)

one could be between two players who both play their best

and another could be one top player beating the crap out of another top player by playing such awesome tennis.
eg
Stefan Edberg vs Jim Courier 1991 US Open Final
Marat Safin vs Pete Sampras 2000 US Open Final

and some time back ..... McEnroe vs Connors 1984 Wimbledon Final.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
There are a lot of different matches.

Of course I like every match Marat plays. Good matches can be ones with good play, exciting rallies, beautiful passing shots. But also matches where the quality of play isn't high, but you do sit nervous in front of the tv. Some tie-breaks can be very nervewrecking. That's also a good match. And of course finals have something special, even if they aren't always good.

For me great matches were:
Sampras-Agassi USO 2002
Marat-Pete USO 2000
Marat-Kiefer USO 2002

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
A match that makes me hold my breath, stick to my seat, yell out unconsciously and stay awake even it's 3 in the morning while I had less than 3 hours of sleep previous night, and the players aren't even my fav.

The match is TMC final between JCF and Hewitt.

I do like JCF and indifferent to Hewitt, but they are not Guga or Pete.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
A match where both are playing their best, amazing shots and great rallies. Also to be exciting has to have momentum swings and the outcome is never known until the end.
Also I enjoy matches where my fave is thrashing the opponent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would say not really long rallies but a long match with lots of good shot making and winners. And some drama at end like Hewitt vs Roddick QF 01 USO when the linecall through off Roddick and Hewitt won it i dont think anyone could believe that but yeah that is my type of match :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Same here. First, have to be the two talented players at their best. Second, few DF and UE but many forced winners. Third, some smart thinking during rallies, variety of shots, both base line and come to the net shots in the game. Last but not the least, dramatic:rolleyes: :angel: :drool: :bounce:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Have different ideas on different matches. Like the boiled egg, love it when a favourite of mine gives a 2tennis2 lesson to another player - agree with him on the Edberg/Courier US Open final.
Also Becker giving Kiefer a grass court lesson on Centre Court at Wimbledon.
But then also love close matches, not necessarily going the full distance (7-5 or tie break sets can be just as good) Like a few of the Becker/Edberg matches and the 4 tie-break sets between Agassi & Sampras at the uS Open 2001.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Davis Cup glory!

Being a patriot I have to say that my 2 favourite matches of recent memory were the Hewitt/Ferrero TMC Final: certainly had me nervous for ~4 hours, and the Hewitt/Roddick USO QF: with the added drama of Roddick's outrageous antics(hilarious). Davis Cup always manages to conger up fantastic contests especially given national pride on the line: recently we saw Mikhail do the impossible against Mathieu & a Partisan Parisian crowd - what a phenomenal comeback! What got me hooked on Tennis was in fact Pat Cash- also a fighter like Lleyton. When I was 8 years old back in 1986 I got tickets to the Davis Cup final - AUS vs Sweden at Kooyong. Cash managed to come back from 2 sets-to-love down in the 4th rubber against Michael Pernfors & win an epic 5-setter which gave us the 3rd decisive rubber. When you see a match like that, with all the emotional screaming in the crowd & a guy swamped by his teammates at the End in tears ~ those are the truly magic moments. Naturally an epic must go the distance: so a 5-setter is a prerequisite! 'No guts no glory'!:rolleyes: :bounce: :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts