Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
honestly Djokovic is so close now I dont think Federer has a chance, Novak winning one more slam will probably seal it in my mind, but Roger would still be ahead of Nadal given the overly skewed clay stats. Nadal is still ahead of Laver, Rosewall, Sampras, Borg etc. but not Federer or Djokovic IMO.
Utter BS. Using that 'logic' neither Fed nor Djoko could be GOAT given the overly negatively skewed clay stats.

In fact Rafa is the current GOAT already, being the only one of the Big3 with multiple slams on each surface.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Theim def Nadal, RG 2020. 6-3 3-6 6-3 3-6 6-1.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Utter BS. Using that 'logic' neither Fed nor Djoko could be GOAT given the overly negatively skewed clay stats.

In fact Rafa is the current GOAT already, being the only one of the Big3 with multiple slams on each surface.
Thats a fair argument, though I would say Roger and Novak have a more balanced resume by surface as it reflects the tour events, (obviously to some people the surface variation does not matter as much, and really i do regard Nadal's domination of clay to be possibly the single greatest achievement in the history of tennis)

Federer 103 titles: 71 Hard, 11 Clay, 19 Grass, 2 Carpet, (77 Outdoor, 26 Indoor)

Djokovic 80 titles: 60 Hard, 14 Clay, 6 Grass (67 Outdoor, 13 Indoor)

Nadal 85 titles: 22 Hard, 59 Clay, 4 Grass (83 Outdoor, 2 Indoor)

all fantastic resumes but I feel Nadal's is a little too reliant on one period of the season but on the other hand it certainly is impressive year in year out to do what he does.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Thats a fair argument, though I would say Roger and Novak have a more balanced resume by surface as it reflects the tour events, (obviously to some people the surface variation does not matter as much, and really i do regard Nadal's domination of clay to be possibly the single greatest achievement in the history of tennis)

Federer 103 titles: 71 Hard, 11 Clay, 19 Grass, 2 Carpet, (77 Outdoor, 26 Indoor)

all fantastic resumes but I feel Nadal's is a little too reliant on one period of the season but on the other hand it certainly is impressive year in year out to do what he does.
This can be spinned endlessly but numbers are there: Nadal has twice /almost/ as much hard titles as Federer /Djokovic/ clay ones, and the "period of the season he is a little too reliant on" is the same period Djokovic and, specially, Fed are a little too useless during.

If the "surface skewed" argument is valid in one direction it must be valid in the opposite as well, one cannot be un-GOAT-ed because a possitive skew while others' negative skew is presented as a GOAT achievement. Sorry 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
This is rather simple. The 2 thing Federer needs to stay/maintain his GOAT status is simple.
Rafa and Nole never win another slam. Thats all.
Nole could break his weeks at N01, but at the end of the day its slams. And Federer has 20.

·
Registered
15,513 Posts
Yeah believe it or not, Olympic gold counts more than a freakin masters title
An Olympic gold single is a bit worse than a Tour Finals' title. A bit more than a Masters, though, so you are right.

·
Your visions will happen
48,094 Posts
Prob another slam or at least block the other guys from his records like win W 19 SF vs Rafa and TMC RR3 vs Nole last year

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
If younger players step up to save Federer's records, maybe Roger can stay the GOAT as I doubt he will have much more chances to win more Grand Slams. Even if Federer doesn't win any more Grand Slams, if he can knock out Nadal or Djokovic at Wimbledon before the final next year, he could still be saving his records even if he doesn't win the title himself. Right now, the best case scenario for Federer would be if Thiem can beat Djokovic and Nadal back to back at Roland Garros this year since both of them are very close to his GS record.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Put the slam record out of reach. too late for that at his age/injuries. He was Nadal/Nole's lapdog for too many years. This is why you don't blow 200000 finals and big titles to your main, rivals. It always comes back to bite you in the end of if that dog gets close in the race. Theres really nothing he CAN do at this point. He'll at best #2 all time on the slam list against his main rivals. I doubt it though. Probably 3 and Nole will have most records # on him except for that Semi finals streak.

Nadal probably ends up with the most slams. Djokovic ties Fed and the rest of his numbers and resume puts him over Fed by default

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Why is losing on the biggest stage against your biggest rival in the biggest moment “better”?
If it was so easy to reach a slam semifinal or final at 38 why aren't others doing it?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Id rather lose the first week than lose a 24534342555235th slam final to my main rivals that have been cleaning my clock since the 2000s

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Id rather lose the first week than lose a 24534342555235th slam final to my main rivals that have been cleaning my clock since the 2000s
With this mentality he should've hanged his racket long ago.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Without normalization of the hard/clay/grass data, titles and number of tournaments available/played is meaningless.

With that taken into account, it's obvious Nadal is most limited of all 3.

To explain a little, there are few ways to look upon this:

[1] we see each title as equal, nothing changes effectively. Normalization would be as simple as dividing each number of titles with total, adding all would equal to exactly 1.

[2] this method is more complicated. Grass for example is the least available/played surface, because it is most complicated to maintain and very few tournaments have it (in comparison to clay/hard court). But, it has importance, equal to all others, if we wish to be fair. So, 4, 6 or 19 titles have a different weight there.

[3] finally, Grand Slams are counted differently, they can't be just put in a bunch with others.

[*] bonus note: HC is the most available/played surface out there, it is expected from a player to have most titles won on those courts. Simply, mathematically speaking. If the player achieves less (or much less in case of Nadal) titles on those tournaments/courts, we have a skewed stats and obvious anomaly.

Court Data Breakdown

The ATP tour includes 68 tournaments in total.

40 out of the 68 ATP tournaments are held on the Hard Surface [ 2 Grand Slams, 6 ATP Masters 1000, 8 ATP 500 events, 22 ATP 250 events and both the ATP Finals and ATP NextGen Finals ]
20 out of the 68 are held on Clay Surface [ 1 Grand Slam, others ATP 250-1000 ]
8 out of the 68 are held on Grass Surface [ 1 Grand Slam, others ATP 250/500 ]
disclaimer: data about exact number of ATP tournaments might not be 100% accurate!

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
To be the greatest out of him, Dull and Defaultovic, he currently is as of now but I’m afraid his time has passed to keep adding to his resume. He may have a few more hurrahs left but at this point, it’s mainly making sure the other 2 don’t keep adding to their resumes. Dull will never be better tho cause without clay, he’s nothing compared to the other 2. Defaultovic will look really bad tho if he can’t capitalize on this era which is without a doubt the most pathetic era of all time.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts