Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given various kinds of available tennis statistics, what - in your opinion - would be necessary preconditions for Federer to be considered the GOAT when the big 3 retire.

I myself like all 3 players, with most affection nevertheless going towards Fed. I'm not sure who would be the GOAT at the moment. Even if Federer kept the most grand slam titles and weeks at number 1 records, I still see his H2H deficiencies against the other 2 as major obstacles to being considered GOAT. Obviously, there were many close matches against Djokovic, which unncecessarily involved Federer losing. Had Federer beat Nadal in Wimbledon 2008 final, and Djokovic in the two US open and last year's Wimbledon matches where he was match points up, I would consider him GOAT at the moment. If all of the big 3 retired tomorrow, I'm still undecided between calling no one single player the GOAT and barely calling Fed the GOAT. If - in the future, Fed can somehow keep the grand slam record, and even the H2H with Djokovic (perhaps one win coming in the Wimbledon finals or semi finals), with perhaps his H2H against Nadal not worsening from here, that would probably do it for me in giving Fed the clear GOAT title.

·
Registered
279 Posts
1) Win the Olympic Gold
2) Surpass Connors in wins and Titles
3) Surpass Djokovic and Nadal in Master titles
4) Win Monte Carlo and Rome while surpassing them
5) Have a positive H2H record against Nadal and Djokovic or at least improve the respective H2Hs and bring the deficit closer.
6) Win one more French Open title. As well as Wimbledon, US Open , and Australian open titles. Bringing the slam count to around 24.
7) Achieve a CYGS.
8) Have one more year end no 1 , as well as increasing the weeks at no 1 tally.

If he achieves all of this, or at least most of this then he is the Tennis GOAT regardless of what Djokovic or Nadal achieves.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
To remain (solo) Goat he must have one slam more than Nadal and two more than Djokovic (if Djokovic surpasses weeks at no.1 record), otherwise Goaterer becomes co-goaterer.

He remains as co-goat until Nadal amasses two majors more (because of considerable difference in WTFs & Weeks) or Djokovic one major more.

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
1) Win the Olympic Gold
5) Have a positive H2H record against Nadal and Djokovic or at least improve the respective H2Hs and bring the deficit closer.
6) Win one more French Open title. As well as Wimbledon, US Open , and Australian open titles. Bringing the slam count to around 24.
7) Achieve a CYGS.

If he achieves all of this, or at least most of this then he is the Tennis GOAT regardless of what Djokovic or Nadal achieves.
All this around 39-40-41 years old? Do you have tennis history somewhere kept in record books?
Very few players won slams/Masters after 40, and practically nobody was able to improve on H2Hs against main rivals or even turn around them, because of aging.

What you described is logically what Federer would need to fight for for this goal, but only point 2) is achievable if Federer wins a few more titles and reaches Connor's win count.

Reactions: Servebots=GOAT

·
Registered
279 Posts
All this around 39-40-41 years old? Do you have tennis history somewhere kept in record books?
Very few players won slams/Masters after 40, and practically nobody was able to improve on H2Hs against main rivals or even turn around them, because of aging.

What you described is logically what Federer would need to fight for for this goal, but only point 2) is achievable if Federer wins a few more titles and reaches Connor's win count.
Obviously I described what has to be done to achieve GOAThood. Whether it is achievable or not is another story. I think an olympic gold is also possible , since its only a BO3 tournament.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
1) Win the Olympic Gold
7) Achieve a CYGS.

Olympic gold and two more slams are cretains possible. The french only in nadal exits early, which is unlikely. 4 more wins against djokovic are very very tough but certainly not impossible if the draws align. Monte Carlo and Rome would certainly be nice but very unlikely.
surpassing nadal and djokovic in masters won’t happen and also doesn’t matter. No one cares about the number of masters in the end.

·
Registered
15,316 Posts
Olympic gold and two more slams are cretains possible. The french only in nadal exits early, which is unlikely. 4 more wins against djokovic are very very tough but certainly not impossible if the draws align. Monte Carlo and Rome would certainly be nice but very unlikely.
surpassing nadal and djokovic in masters won’t happen and also doesn’t matter. No one cares about the number of masters in the end.
We will if slams are tied

·
Registered
279 Posts
If at least half of the aforementioned achievements are done then he has a good case for being a GOAT . If he achieves all then he's undisputable GOAT and probably will be forever and probably the greatest sportsperson of all time, since its highly unlikely anyone could achieve all this in their late 30s/40s.

·
Super Moderator
8,710 Posts
He has missed two great shots last year to become undoubtedly the GOAT which are beating Nadal at RG (got straight setted) and beating Djokdal at a Slam in a row (which he has missed by wasting 40-15). I guess only the likes of Thiem or whoever could keep saving his records which would make him arguably the GOAT. Because personally I doubt he will have his hands on a Slam trophy again as much as I'd wish to see him hold one last cup

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
15,316 Posts
No if slams are tied the number of Olympic golds, WTF wins and overall title count still come first. Masters 1000 is maybe the fifth or sixth tiebreaker
Oh so if slams are tied we will look to overall titles aka precedence of 500‘s and 250‘s equal to masters, but not masters itself?

Lololol

Federer fans

Reactions: sav001

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
honestly Djokovic is so close now I dont think Federer has a chance, Novak winning one more slam will probably seal it in my mind, but Roger would still be ahead of Nadal given the overly skewed clay stats. Nadal is still ahead of Laver, Rosewall, Sampras, Borg etc. but not Federer or Djokovic IMO.

Reactions: paca

·
Registered
20 Posts
At the moment Federer holds two most important records, slams and weeks as number 1,there is a high probability that both of these records will be either equaled or surpassed very soon and then there will be nothing else apart from number of titles(half of them 250s and 500s), that is reality

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Federer can still keep his Grass GOAT status for some time, but yea HC is already pretty much in Novak's favour

1 - 20 of 73 Posts