Mens Tennis Forums banner

What would be best for Federer's legacy?

• Beat the other GOAT contender Nadal for the first time since 2007

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Win another slam without beating Nadal or Djokovic along the way

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • To win the Olympics something that he treasures a lot

Votes: 21 35.6%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be best for Federer's legacy?

1) to finally beat Nadal again in slam something that he has not done since 2007, that's 8 years? :eek: That's something that has hurt his legacy a lot as many experts dismiss his GOAT status with arguments like weak era champion and being totally helpless vs his biggest rival.

2) or to win another slam but without beating Nadal or Djokovic on the way? That would add to the quantity argument of his wins but not solve the lack of quality argument of his wins?

3) or to win the Olympics, something that Federer treasures a lot.

What do you think would mean most for him and for his legacy, to finally beat Nadal in a slam after 8 years? to win another slam even if against weak players? or to win the Olympics?

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Winning another slam. You can only play who's in front of you. And Nadal is five years younger, he beat most of his contemporaries most of the time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Since Nadal is no longer any way near his prime it really doesn't matter now if Federer beats him. The time has passed for Federer to beat Nadal to prove a point. He has emphatically lost this battle and nothing can be done about it now.

And in any case no personal rivalry is more important than winning a grand slam.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
Gold medal.

Possibly an unpopular opinion but I don't feel there's much difference between finishing his career with 17 or 18 slams.

·
Registered
955 Posts
To win a slam.
His legacy is rock-founded on slams. The other two are accessory feats in any tennist's career.
Tennis isn't a classic OG sport, but a "patriotic" exho.
H to H with any player is only an anecdotic issue.
In the next century, my grand-grand-grand-grand son will ask my grand-grand-grand son:
-Hey, dad, who is the tennis GOAT?
-It was RF.
-And who is Nadal?
-I'm not sure, but I believe it was the spanish family that invented the moonballing machine you are practicing with.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Win a slam, preferably Wimbledon. In my opinion he'd take another Wimbledon over anything else, gold medal or h2h against anyone.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Federer has not won a GS for four years almost and other guys still
can not catch him. For other Wimbledon ??? I do not think so. If Sampras stops to cry every time when Wimbledon comes around it could happen Federer to win one more. Let see if Nadal will break Sampras' number as well. Everything is about American' records.
Sampras said no one will break his 7 titles at Wimbledon last year. McEnroe said this year Sampras is the best grass player. Serena is GOAT. So everything is about American records.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Ha,ha........ I liked when Mats Willander asked them where they have been at age of 34 ?!
No one of them could give an answer just because no one of Borg,JMcEnroe,Sampras and co were in the game.
Sampras did not need to play someone with 12 or 13 or 14 GS to his name. When Federer has fought to increase
the money for GS and for players who lose in first three rounds at GS'level they openly blamed him
that he was doing it for himself to earn more money. It was in 2012.

·
Registered
785 Posts
In my opinion, even if he makes another two Slam finals and loses them both, that will still add to his legacy. At 34, those are great accomplishments and actually bust the myth that he played in a weak era. I don't think Djokovic or Nadal will be making Slam finals at that age, of course we'll have to wait and see this.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Well its abot American, German and Australian records. Federer is trying to brewk Sampras 7 Wimbledons. I doubt he can do it now 34 today. His last REAL CHANCE was 2014. Serena is trying to break Steffi Grafs record of 22 slams. If she gets to 23. Then they will.say Margaret Court with 24 is next.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
To retire of course. It's not natural that some old tard stays so long in tennis collecting money, accolades, preventing young players from emerging, and still not being able to win any major. What is his purpose now ? Go home, raise some kids for Christ sakes.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
He's already got loads of slams, so winning another would hardly influence his legacy, unless you think someone else is going to take over his record.

Getting a good win against Rafa would be good for balancing out his career, and the Olympics would be a huge, stand-out moment (even if the fan-bois like to pretend otherwise right now).

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
He's already got loads of slams, so winning another would hardly influence his legacy, unless you think someone else is going to take over his record.

Getting a good win against Rafa would be good for balancing out his career, and the Olympics would be a huge, stand-out moment (even if the fan-bois like to pretend otherwise right now).
He is abundant in slams, but he still lacks something. So, how long will he stay in the game ? Until he takes all, right ? :drool: That kind of sophisticated generosity can't be found on any player and any fandome, it's just unique. And people call him idol for youngsters. :rolleyes:

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts

:facepalm:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts