Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Are there any courts with roofs? Even tiny practice courts that don't have seating for fans? Murray has a bye in Madrid, but Kohlschreiber doesn't. It wouldn't be fair to postpone the match until tomorrow (and what if it rained then too?)

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
would they postpone it? that would screw their own guy over in madrid and i dont think they would do that. think if they cant finish play both guys get the finalist points and thats it

·
Registered
683 Posts
They'd have to play it tomorrow I think. Kohli would be able to play his first round in Madrid on Tuesday, and then the second round on Wednesday. But if it rained again tomorrow, then I have no idea what they'd do.

·
Registered
449 Posts
They'd have to play it tomorrow I think. Kohli would be able to play his first round in Madrid on Tuesday, and then the second round on Wednesday. But if it rained again tomorrow, then I have no idea what they'd do.
They will try like buggery all day and into the evening if possible to get the match played, otherwise they will play tomorrow and the organizers will check the forecast and if nervous start making calls for indoor clay courts.

If it's tomorrow it will be as early as possible an Madrid will (should) schedule Kholschiber as late as possible on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I thought they had until tomorrow to finish the tournament, otherwise the final doesn't get played. I'm not sure of the protocol with points.

I like to think of the players huddling inside, drinking hot chocolate with little marshmallows.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Has it ever happened?
Pretty sure it has happened with the Women at Eastbourne where the title was shared one year (think Maybe Seles was in the final that year).

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Has it ever happened?
Happened with one ATP tournament from 80s but can't remember exactly but i remember few years ago challenger tournament got cancelled after R16 matches since they couldn't play at all.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
They should play it in Stuttgart indoor, according to google it's only ~400km. I remember Karlovic playing grass tournament on indoor carpet (?) somewhere in UK.

·
Registered
412 Posts
They should play it in Stuttgart indoor, according to google it's only ~400km. I remember Karlovic playing grass tournament on indoor carpet (?) somewhere in UK.
no way, it's ~200 km

Who had the brilliant idea to have an outdoor tournament in April/May in Germany??

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Has it ever happened?

Yep... as far back as this.

1976 Nottingham: Connors vs Nastase... Match abandoned due to rain.

1981 Monte Carlo Final: Connors and Vilas were locked at 5-5 when the match was abandoned due to rain.

1984 Rotterdam: Connors vs Lendl...... Lendl was killing him 6-0,1-0 when the match was abandoned due to a...wait for it..... 'Bomb Scare'.... Understatement to say Connors escaped that one huh ;)

... To me it's a copout not finishing the final.The tournament should look to every alternative available to them in order to make sure there's a winner.Tennis isn't played for splitting the prize not matter what.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Has it ever happened?
The most recent example I know of was in 2000 at the State Farm Classic in Scottsdale, AZ. The final between Davenport and Hingis was cancelled due to weather.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts