Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the attendance here will be better than the WTA Championships in Los Angeles?

I think so. It cannot be worse than L.A. It's scientifically impossible ;).

The first Masters Cup in Lisbon was a hit. Guga won it. The fans were pulling for him because he was from Brazil (a country that speaks Portuguese also), so he was sort of a hometown hero. Plus he made his winning speech in Portuguese.

Then last year it was also a hit in Melbourne. Hewitt won it. Of course the fans were cheering for the hometown players (Hewitt and Rafter).

This year it will be in Shanghai. There's no hometown player to cheer for. However, there are some huge stars that you can root for, like Agassi, Hewitt, Safin, Ferrero, and Moya . And you wouldn't think that the Chinese people would be huge tennis fans. Well, we'll have to see about that.

There's a difference between the WTA and ATP. The WTA is dominated by 3 or 4 players who can beat everybody else 95% of the time. On the ATP, anybody can beat anybody else on any given day, so the predictability is almost non-existent. That is what adds to the excitement.

So, in summary, I think it will be a good turnout. Nothing can be worse than what is happening in L.A. at the moment ;).

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Darkheart said:
Do you think the attendance here will be better than the WTA Championships in Los Angeles?

I think so. It cannot be worse than L.A. It's scientifically impossible ;).

The first Masters Cup in Lisbon was a hit. Guga won it. The fans were pulling for him because he was from Brazil (a country that speaks Portuguese also), so he was sort of a hometown hero. Plus he made his winning speech in Portuguese.

Then last year it was also a hit in Melbourne. Hewitt won it. Of course the fans were cheering for the hometown players (Hewitt and Rafter).

This year it will be in Shanghai. There's no hometown player to cheer for. However, there are some huge stars that you can root for, like Agassi, Hewitt, Safin, Ferrero, and Moya . And you wouldn't think that the Chinese people would be huge tennis fans. Well, we'll have to see about that.

There's a difference between the WTA and ATP. The WTA is dominated by 3 or 4 players who can beat everybody else 95% of the time. On the ATP, anybody can beat anybody else on any given day, so the predictability is almost non-existent. That is what adds to the excitement.

So, in summary, I think it will be a good turnout. Nothing can be worse than what is happening in L.A. at the moment ;).
Yes it is terrible the WTA tournement in LA, and thinking the televisionstation eurosport spent so much time on showing womentennis. I hate it. Show us more men tennis

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I'm sure the attendance will be better - how can it not :D

The ATP doesn't have morons in the marketting dept, which will *hopefully* show.

That, and some of the men are *quite* popular in asia, if I'm not mistaken :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I think it'll be much better. :D

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
i don't think attendance will be great, but it should be better than LA.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree the attendance has to be better than in the womens tournament.

I also think Eurosport show far too much womens tennis and it really annoys me as the mens is so much more exciting and unpredictable. I'm sure they would get more viewers if they showed more mens:drool:

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
One of the reasons there are hardly any people at the WTA Championships is because tickets are like $400 or so. A day.

So there's no possible way attendence at the Masters Cup could be worse, as tickets are more reasonably priced (if TMS tickets are anything to go on . . .)

And as Becca said, some of these players are incredibly popular in Asia.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yea Tennishack is right, But the LA crowds are comin in, last night it was pretty crowded. I think Th masters cup will way more people..including Rod Laver (i think he said he was gonna be there.. :D )

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
it couldn't be worse!:rolleyes:
besides the chinese people is not like the USA "tennis fans",
They just have the Polo Open (and the HK open), they are hungry for innovations and to know and to approach more the western amusements. So even for a cultural motive, I believe it will be a complete success the tournament at Shanghai :cool:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Darkheart said:

Excuse me, but the Masters was in Sydney last year. If it was in Melbourne, I would have been there! The Australian Open and the Davis Cup final were in Melbourne

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oops, my mistake. I knew it was either Melbourne or Sydney but I wasn't sure. I should've double-checked. :D

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
According to a report I read, 80% of RR tickets are sold and most of the tickets from finals are sold too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The attendance turned out to be very good, way better than in L.A. :)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Well in all fairness.

I could have shown up alone to every match and attendance would have been better than LA :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL! Good one, Rebecca. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts