Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Federer has already retired. But if he does play next year, he'll still have a high ranking since his points were frozen/kept even though he was injured and was never going to play regardless.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
3: he'll qualify for a protected ranking, as he'll have been off injured for over 6 months this time.

How's Djokovic managed to amass so many points already, given all the tournaments which have been cancelled?
Huh? I guess you forgot the part where COVID-19 interrupted Novak when he was on a 21-match winning streak, winning ATP Cup, Australia and Dubai.

·
Registered
408 Posts
He injured his knee because of a lot of tough matches. He did not play injured the whole tournament.
He also arrived without preparation this winter, did not play the ATP Cup, which came late to Australia, and even his participation in the AO was uncertain, especially with the fire situation.
His injury and his difficult matches are undoubtedly linked to this context.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Taken from tennisactu

ATP/WTA - Les 2 hypothèses pour le système de calcul de points en 2020

Each player's points divided by 52
The preferred solution is to divide the total number of points won by each player during the blackout by 52, which corresponds to the number of weeks per year.
Thus, the points would be smoothed over the year.
For a year, each week, the player would therefore have his own number of points to defend.
For example Rafael Nadal, would have 189 points to defend each week and would not be forced to concoct a pantagruelic program upon resumption. The physical integrity of the players would not be endangered unnecessarily.
However, the Grand Slam and Masters 1000 tournaments would not be highlighted.

The establishment of a "Race" up to the Masters
The other option would be to continue to freeze the classification until January 2021, but to set up a "Race" until the Masters.
Thus, the best players since the resumption would participate in the Masters tournaments. The downside is that it may really concern that the best and those for whom the Masters is really out of reach, may be a little less motivated, because there would be no consequence to long term in case of bad results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Both suggestions by Marka are terrible on so many levels. I mean it is obvious that they want to help Rafa to become no. 1 again, and they are coming up with rankings which would favor him.
Chances of ATP using any of those two suggestions are less then 1%.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Both suggestions by Marka are terrible on so many levels. I mean it is obvious that they want to help Rafa to become no. 1 again, and they are coming up with rankings which would favor him.
Chances of ATP using any of those two suggestions are less then 1%.
I missed this so could u please elaborate?

·
Rankings Master
15,659 Posts
Has the ATP now clarified how they will proceed with the rankings? Otherwise it is impossible to estimate.
Methods of calculating points are starting to be mentioned (Marca), but nothing definitive, I read.

Rafa Nadal podría perder 189 puntos por semana en el regreso del tenis

One of now 5 scenarios available for viewing. The ATP has not yet decided what they will go for though.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts