Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of great players have one or two things they've accomplished that distinguishes them from the rest. For example:

Roger Federer has the most major titles and most consecutive Semi Finals
Pete Sampras has the most Wimbledon titles and most weeks at # 1
McEnroe has the 81-4 season and longest winning streak
Rod Laver has the Calendar Year Grand Slam
Bjorn Borg has the channel slam threepeat
Jimmy Connors has the most singles titles

What will distinguish Djokovic from the rest? Can he win the most Australian Open titles? Can he string together a longer winning streak? Or will he accomplish something else?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
He's got a shot at the most Australian Opens though Murray will challenge there... He could win 4 in a row at the French. That's about it though. Too late to win the most RG/Wimby/US Opens.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Vilas has the longest winning streak, not McEnroe.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Winning H2H with Fedal would give him some bragging rights

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
That's a good one. He has a great shot at that and I'd be surprised if he doesn't get it. I'm sure Rafa will win a few times against Novak but Novak will more and it'll be in Novak's favour at the end of their careers. As long as it's close enough to be respectable I'm fine with that - you've gotta give it to Novak for getting over all those tough losses to Fedal and having the strength to keep fighting.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
The answer is obvious. He is the man who brought an end to the Fedal duopoly.
On a serious note, this is it. And that's quite something, regardless of the number of slams he wins, he was responsible for the end of an era. And What an era he ended....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure how much weight that carries though. Achievements are usually measured against wins and records in the sport in general and not against particular individuals. I don't think Becker is remembered for his 25-10 ownage of Edberg; nor are Edberg's achievements tarnished by said record against one guy; but both men are remembered for other things.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm not sure how much weight that carries though. Achievements are usually measured against wins and records in the sport in general and not against particular individuals. I don't think Becker is remembered for his 25-10 ownage of Edberg; nor are Edberg's achievements tarnished by said record against one guy; but both men are remembered for other things.
I will remember Becker and Edberg like the former world number 1 players who won pretty much everything but failed to win RG,in fact Becker even failed to win a clay court title if I remember correct...

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Having some sense and actual knowledge on tennis is prohibited on this forum. :(

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
With all due respect for Edberg, Fedal is something else. We're talking about guys that have dominated tennis like never before, 26 slams between them, both with Career Grand Slams. Arguably the GOAT and his greatest rival.

To have a winning record over not one of them, but over them both. It would be a great accomplishment.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The answer is obvious. He is the man who brought an end to the Fedal duopoly.
Did he though? Federer won AO 2010 and then did not make any slam final. Lost in the quarters at Wimbledon & the French. Sure Djokovic stopped him at the US Open but arguably he could have done that in 2009 too - it was a close match that could have gone either way. So Fed was AWOL a lot in 2010 despite Novak not being a factor. Federer has been in decline since 2008 - his slam wins in 2009 were far from comprehensive and it helped that Nadal was out & Djokovic didn't capitalise.

Novak certainly stopped Nadal a lot last year but I'm not sure that if he hadn't been there then Fed would have been getting to all the finals either - Federer has a way of losing to a more than just Rafole these days. The Fedal duopoly was coming to an end due to Fed's decline anyway. Perhaps Novak accelerated it but even if Djokovic hadn't had that crazy year last year it would still have been him and Rafa as the top two players. After US Open 2010 Novak was no.2 and it was Fed's indoor heroics that once again got the no.2 ranking back.

Still think a positive H2H with Fedal would be a nice bonus for him - though apart from tennis geeks no one remembers these things - so getting 5 Aus Opens would be far better legacy wise.

·
Banned
703 Posts
The guy who suggested Djokovic would be remembered by a winning h2h against Federer was a Nadaltard who DOES believe that Federer's losing h2h against Nadal makes his accomplishments irrelevant.

Having said that, Djokovic could end with a winning h2h against both Nadal AND Federer which would be something to brag about.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Did he though? Federer won AO 2010 and then did not make any slam final. Lost in the quarters at Wimbledon & the French. Sure Djokovic stopped him at the US Open but arguably he could have done that in 2009 too - it was a close match that could have gone either way. So Fed was AWOL a lot in 2010 despite Novak not being a factor. Federer has been in decline since 2008 - his slam wins in 2009 were far from comprehensive and it helped that Nadal was out & Djokovic didn't capitalise.

Novak certainly stopped Nadal a lot last year but I'm not sure that if he hadn't been there then Fed would have been getting to all the finals either - Federer has a way of losing to a more than just Rafole these days. The Fedal duopoly was coming to an end due to Fed's decline anyway. Perhaps Novak accelerated it but even if Djokovic hadn't had that crazy year last year it would still have been him and Rafa as the top two players. After US Open 2010 Novak was no.2 and it was Fed's indoor heroics that once again got the no.2 ranking back.

Still think a positive H2H with Fedal would be a nice bonus for him - though apart from tennis geeks no one remembers these things - so getting 5 Aus Opens would be far better legacy wise.
Of course he did. That is hardly questionable. Who do you thinnk would have won AO11, W11, USO11 and AO12 if it wasn't for Nole?? Here is my wild :lol: guess: Roger, Rafa, Roger, Rafa. By that exact order.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Of course he did. That is hardly questionable. Who do you thinnk would have won AO11, W11, USO11 and AO12 if it wasn't for Nole?? Here is my wild :lol: guess: Roger, Rafa, Roger, Rafa. By that exact order.
You've conveniently ignored Federer's 2010. All I'm saying is that Fed's decline is not all down to Djokovic. Without Djokovic you would have had Nadal win the French, Wimbledon & US Open sure (Fed would lose to Nadal on outdoor HC best of 5) but I'm not denying that Djokovic stopped Nadal a lot. Just that the end for Federer was coming regardless....

But yes in terms of stopping the run of Fed/Rafa slam wins then he definitely broke that up by taking 3 of the 4 slams in one year. So in that context he stopped the duopoly I agree.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts