Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When 38 year old Djoko retires on 28 slams
When 39 year old Nadal retired that year at RG on 26 slams

When only a few members the young brigade of wimps have a slam- and a single one at that (thiem, zverev tsitsi and Medvedev all 1 slam wonders)

And Federer has been totally eclipsed and is seen as Bjorg or Sampras today- good player but nowhere near the best

That is on the table if Nole and Nadal want it. All they have to do is keep playing till Federer's age

I just do not see the nextgen players making an impact at slam level in the next 5 years

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Rafole or some future prodigies may win 25+ slams, but Federer will always be included among the best, not because of his style of play and popularity, but because of his achievements during the nine years of his peaking period (Wimb'03-Wimb'12), 17 slams, 6 WTF etc. and his three slams (so far) after 35th birthday.

Although I think it is more probable that the game will be changed drastically in the next 2-3 decades (e.g. less games per set or bo3 instead of bo5) than that there will be 20+ winners around with the current rules.

9 best consecutive seasons (with the most slam titles):

B.Borg, nine consecutive seasons 1973-1981 i.e. his whole career:
11 slams + 5 slam finals + 15 masters + 2 WTF + 2 y.e. no.1

P.Sampras nine consecutive seasons 1993-2001
12 slams + 3 slam finals + 10 masters + 4 WTF + 6 y.e. no.1

R.Nadal nine consecutive seasons 2006-2014
13 slams + 6 slam finals + 27 masters + 0 WTF + 3 y.e. no.1

N.Djokovic, nine consecutive seasons 2011-2019
15 slams + 7 slam finals + 29 masters + 4 WTF + 5 y.e. no.1

R.Federer nine consecutive seasons 2003-2011
16 slams + 7 slam finals + 18 masters + 6 WTF + 5 y.e. no.1

Not many future 10+ slam winners will have Fedalovic' longevity and a chance to win 20 slams, but if they won 10+ slams in 9 consecutive years, they would deserve to be mentioned together with the five champions above as the greatest players in the open era.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Rafole and several future prodigies may win 25+ slams, but Federer will always be included among the best, not because of his style of play, but because of his achievements during 8-9 years of his peaking period, 17 slams, 6 WTF etc. and his three slams after 35th birthday.

Although I think it is much more probable that the game will be changed drastically in the next 2-3 decades (e.g. less games per set or bo3 instead of bo5) than that there will be 20+ winners around with the current rules.
Don't forget AI assistance which will surely creep in. Maybe even genetic engineering or bionic limbs at some point.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I agree totally that Federer is one of the best

I consider Federer's opponents in early slam wins like Philippoussis, Gonzalez, Baghdatis, Haas, Nalbandian, Safin, (old) Agaasi, Roddick and Hewitt far better than the nextgen mugs

The incompetence of the nextgen is the main reason Nole and Nadal will probably end up so far ahead of Fed, not because they are that much better.

Rafole and some future prodigies may win 25+ slams, but Federer will always be included among the best, not because of his style of play, but because of his achievements during nine years of his peaking period, 17 slams, 6 WTF etc. and his three slams after 35th birthday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts