Mens Tennis Forums banner

What was your favorite GS final in 2005?

• Australian Open: Safin def. Hewitt 1-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-4

Votes: 39 27.3%
  • Roland Garros: Nadal def. Puerta 6-7, 6-3, 6-1, 7-5

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • Wimbledon: Federer def. Roddick 6-2, 7-6, 6-4

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • US Open: Federer def. Agassi 6-3, 2-6, 7-6, 6-1

Votes: 36 25.2%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Grand Slams of 2005 are finished, vote for your favorite final:)!

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
wimbledon

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Federer blasting Roddick off the court at Wimbledon :yeah:

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Wimby :hearts: (which coincidentally i'm watching right now :) )

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I really enjoyed almost all of the men's slam finals so I'll have to make up a ranking:

1. US Open 2005
2. French Open 2005
3. Wimbledon
4. Australian Open

1. no need to question why, it's just federer and andre and great players and great tennis.
2. for me, this edges out wimbledon because there was good tennis played here and i like the players in this
3. wimbledon. i enjoy a thrashing andy moment courtesy of roger, but this is no.3 because though roger got to show off and put on an exhibition, a match is still a match.
4. i don't care for this one. both men's and women's finals had styles and people i didn't like.

Reactions: Cris

·
Registered
981 Posts
1) French Open - Mariano Puerta put up a hell of a good fight against Nadal. I don't remember the level of play by either player fluctuating by that much, unlike...
2) US Open - Federer was way up and way down, but up at the right moments. If anything, the match was wildly dramatic as at one point I actually thought the match was Agassi's for the taking. Great fightback from the Fed man.
3) Wimbledon - Federer's terrific play. Totally outclassed Roddick. Cemented Ninja as the king of grass.
4) Australian - Thrilled Safin won, but not too excited by Hewitt being in a big final these days, as he's usually likely to lose.

·
Premium Member
25,471 Posts
Federer-Agassi USO final was my favorite because it had all the elements of a great match: high-level playing from both players; an enthusiastic crowd that give it great atmosphere; match had a sense of urgency (He must win! It could be his last chance!), danger (Andre just won a set! Will he end Roger's run?), and was a potential history-maker (re: is already a classic). Pitts current legend vs upcoming legend. Yin-Yang type of personalities. Two firey class acts. Loved it. Already burned it to a DVD for my collection. :)

AO Safin vs. Hewitt. Not as memorable as Roger-Andre but still had a lot riding on it: great atmosphere, great shot-making, a lot of pressure on both players to deliver a win. You felt that at any moment one player could snatch the match away from the other. Enjoyed it much.

RG Nadal vs. Puerta. Puerta played well but even when he took a set off Rafa I never felt for one minute that Nadal was in any real danger of losing this title. There were better matches in the earlier rounds than this one. Last year's RG final is still packing a punch.

Wimby Federer vs. Roddick. Boring, one-sided demolition. :zzz: Didn't come close to being the brilliant final from the year before. Knew Andy didn't stand a chance this time around thanks in part to Roger's easy draw and getting a full day's rest before the final. :angel: :p :nerner:

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Wimbledon :worship:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Wimbledon coz ROGI rocks there with his brilliant tennis :cool:

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
This I can say with assurity, the Aus Open had the worst final.

The Wimbledon final left me amazed.

The French Final had that balance beam swaying in either direction, so it had a couple of highs and lows. At one point, I thought Puerto was going to run away with the match. Then Nadal came back, then Puerto came back, then Nadal snatched it permanently.................enjoyable match.

The US Open was fairly anti climatic for me after all the promotion and hype.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
wimbledon :)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Roland Garros

·
Registered
24,581 Posts
AO coz Hewitt got beaten and Federer wasn't in it :D