Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

Registered
Sick after the match, it would be AO 17. I had to keep repeating to myself that Roger was the better player that day and deserved it more for more than a week.

Sick during the match: Two candidates, RG 13 and USO 19. During the RG 13 SF match, I didn't move an inch from my couch after Novak took the lead in the fifth. But the relief after the match was immense.

USO 19 have me arrhythmia 馃槀..... I watched the first two sets and went to bed at midnight believing in a routine Rafa win. Woke up three hours later to read the discussion on Rafa's victory on MTF (as a non-member). There was no thread, instead I saw someone post one titled "Rafa will be the first big 3 player to either win the USO in the fifth set or lose from 2 sets up". I was shocked and went to live commentary here, only to read that he was facing 2 BPs in the second game of the final set.....my heartbeat was at 95+% of my max rate for the next 90 minutes 馃槑

Registered
Actually the late schedule for my time zone helped me a lot to stay relatively very calm. I had already not slept a lot the night from Friday to Saturday as I had watched live Dominic vs Daniil. In other words, I had less sleep than needed before the final arrived, and when I am tired, I am less nervous. Only in the fifth and due to the incredible scenario, I started to feel nerves, but I was much more nervous when I was younger and watched my idols of the past (Edberg, Rafter, ...)

Administrator | Chaos Theory
Karlovic-Monfils Washington 2016

One of the most obvious choke you will ever see, golden opportunity to win a 500 and he messed it up while serving for it, having not been broken the whole tournament.
Haha, classic Ivo. Always so close, yet so far.

justice for all
@MWW - Kei USO 2014?
That Madrid 2014 final still haunts me. I was in the mood to smash the tv screen. I was hoping Kei would get a chance to redeem the following year when a wild Clayray appeared and derailed that train. Had Kei beaten Murray, he would have very likely also beaten Nadal in that final.

I've kinda made peace with that but it still sucks to see guys like Sock and Khachanov having masters titles to their names when Kei was robbed by an unfortunate injury.
And not 2014 USO final?

Registered
i dont remember many matches where I was gutted by the end result compared to the number where I was thrilled by the drama and the final result
  • goran winning wimbledon and crying as he was serving for it,
  • pat cash putting on a volleying display for the ages and coming back from 2 sets to love down to beat michael pernfors to win the davis cup,
  • fed coming back to beat Nadal at the AO17 final and laying to bed one of the biggest mental blocks in sport
  • fognini beating murray at Rome with the whole crowd singing soccer chants to cheer him on, actually fog also coming back from 2 sets to love down against nadal at the USO and beating Nadal at monte carlo and actually converting that into a tournament win
  • wawrinka beating dj at the french which was one of the greatest performances of all time etc etc).
there is one match which really hurt and that was fed losing wimbledon last year. Part of the reason is that it was being played at the same time as NZ was playing the world cup cricket final against england. I didnt think fed or NZ had a chance in either match but both of them developed into done and dusted wins and both of them managed to disappear at the same time. The combined hit scrambled my sporting DNA and I disappeared from this message board and from watching any sport for months. If you watch sport obsessively enough you become one with the results and that isnt healthy.

Registered
@MWW - Kei USO 2014?

And not 2014 USO final?
Nishikori never had a chance in that final, most matches people mention here are close losses. I guess it's just a numb feeling when your favorite gets destroyed, most heartbreaking is when you get your hopes up only to be smashed. Nishikori sort of deserved a slam just by beating in-form Raonic, Wawrinka and Djokovic back to back though :p Super tough draw and he didn't have anything left for the final.

Reactions: guitarra

Registered
For me it was AO 17 final, I remember screaming like crazy when Rafa broke and was up 3-1 in the 5th set, and my friend with whom I was watching the match on TV told me 'dude you're crazy, the neighbors will come knocking to check what's happening.'

Then ecstasy gave way to sheer disbelief was Rafa went on to lose all the remaining games, I was watching and wasn't even sure what was happening. After it was over I went to bed and felt sick for the whole day tomorrow.

Similar after AO 12 final though it was more like a sadness that lasts until this day. WB 18 SF was also quite painful, and USO 16 4R vs Fognini.
Would it be fair to say that of those three 2012 was the really bad one ? Fognini and fed were both playing better than nadal on the day but the 2012 was an epic which could have gone either way (same for the RG 2013 semi). Not to say nadal couldnt have won the other two but perhaps the better player won ? I dont want to trivalise your pain but sometimes its not so tough to handle if the other player kind of deserved it more ?

Administrator | Chaos Theory
@guitarra it was tough but that draw from hell burned him out there, to make the final was a win by itself. Yes, it sucks in retrospect but I knew he had no gas.
Nishikori never had a chance in that final, most matches people mention here are close losses. I guess it's just a numb feeling when your favorite gets destroyed, most heartbreaking is when you get your hopes up only to be smashed. Nishikori sort of deserved a slam just by beating in-form Raonic, Wawrinka and Djokovic back to back though :p Super tough draw and he didn't have anything left for the final.
Likely the toughest draw to final this decade. He also had surgery on his foot before playing. The following season he was upset by Paire as the 4th seed but even then, he would be required to beat Tsonga, Cilic, Djokovic and Federer back to back if he wanted to win. Then 2016 he would have to beat Murray, Wawrinka and Djokovic. Amazing how draws have turned out since 2017 but his form or his physical health have not been there to make the most of the opportunity.

Registered
For me it was AO 17 final, I remember screaming like crazy when Rafa broke and was up 3-1 in the 5th set, and my friend with whom I was watching the match on TV told me 'dude you're crazy, the neighbors will come knocking to check what's happening.'

Then ecstasy gave way to sheer disbelief was Rafa went on to lose all the remaining games, I was watching and wasn't even sure what was happening. After it was over I went to bed and felt sick for the whole day tomorrow.

Similar after AO 12 final though it was more like a sadness that lasts until this day. WB 18 SF was also quite painful, and USO 16 4R vs Fognini.
Same for me, I didn't even have to think.

I didn't go to bed sick the next day --LOL! I love this because it shows the extent of your dedication to Rafa--but I did have to "watch" the final games from the hallway, the tv in the other room, I couldn't look, but from listening I could follow the outcome. Well serverer botted that match to an end, though i remember Rafa shanking 2 FHs, that seemed to me to be the true turning point. The spur for all Fed's aces that followed.

And yes, those other two also in the same order for me.

I didn't see the Fog loss USO--I went to bed with Rafa up 2 sets thinking he had it in the bag.

Let's not even think of these things! But instead picture how sweet #20 is going to be.

Registered
I forgot to mention AO 2014, a final Rafa would have breezed through if healthy, still winning a set with back problems. Ech.
I also have to add Fed getting another Wimb against Cilic with blisters on the soles of his feet was pretty gross.

OK, now that I'm thinking, that Kyrgios debutante ball at Wimb taking out Nadal, I hated him from the start (and not cause he took out Nadal, bcz I don't hate brown or Darcis or even Rosol who's a jerk too) but because his character was vividly on display and it hasn't changed to this day, and because he's also a partial servebot.

Registered
Even rewatching the final game of the Wimbledon 2013 final knowing what happens I still get nervous.

Registered
My big idol Stefan Edberg losing Wimbledon semifinal 1991 to Michael Stich 6-4,6-7,6-7,6-7 without having his serve broken once. The final yesterday made me pretty ill too.

Registered
That Gaudio - Coria RG final...now that was clownery, which probably can not be reached again. As a Coria's fan, this was quite difficult to watch.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Would it be fair to say that of those three 2012 was the really bad one ? Fognini and fed were both playing better than nadal on the day but the 2012 was an epic which could have gone either way (same for the RG 2013 semi). Not to say nadal couldnt have won the other two but perhaps the better player won ? I dont want to trivalise your pain but sometimes its not so tough to handle if the other player kind of deserved it more ?
It could yeah, but AO 12 was so exhausting I didn't even have the strength to be gutted lol. Also worth saying I hadn't hoped at all Rafa would win that one, as I considered Djoko an absolute favorite, but as usual, whenever that happens Rafa proves me wrong.

I remember 4-2 30-0 and a routinely missed BH that could've made all the difference, it hurt, though ultimately it wasn't the question of whether Rafa lost to a better player, just the one of personal experience of his loss.

Funny how Fed couldn't produce something like 5th set AO performance vs Djoko at Wimbledon, if he did it last year he'd win for sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Same for me, I didn't even have to think.

I didn't go to bed sick the next day --LOL! I love this because it shows the extent of your dedication to Rafa--but I did have to "watch" the final games from the hallway, the tv in the other room, I couldn't look, but from listening I could follow the outcome. Well serverer botted that match to an end, though i remember Rafa shanking 2 FHs, that seemed to me to be the true turning point. The spur for all Fed's aces that followed.

And yes, those other two also in the same order for me.

I didn't see the Fog loss USO--I went to bed with Rafa up 2 sets thinking he had it in the bag.

Let's not even think of these things! But instead picture how sweet #20 is going to be.
Amen. Feeling slightly nervous, however, due to the many unknowns about Rafa's form at the moment. At least Rome will tell us a lot.

Reactions: Roxitova

Registered
Yeah incredible, innit.
I think the worst I ever let a tennis match affect me was the US Open semifinal in 2011 - i let it ruin the rest of that night.

by the time wimbledon 2019 final happened, I was so used to 40-15erer choking huge matches that I was over it an hour later

Banned
For me, it was the 2009 final at the British Open. That was one of only two times (the other being his AO 2003 QF against Younes El Aynaoui) that I remember when Andy Roddick truly showed his mettle. In the match, the styles the two players are generally associated with were reversed throughout: Roddick was the fine shotmaking artist, Federer the comparatively unrefined, ball-bashing servebot. Kudos to the latter for eking out the victory bereft of his usual grace and supreme skill, though. Still, I felt that the match could have started a fresh chapter in Roddick's career, as it was Big 3 level gameplay that he produced that day. Had he not missed the critical volley at the second set tie-break, or had the stadium not cast a particularly shaped shadow near the end of the last set, the result of the match might have been (I also think: should have been) different that day. By the way, all major tournaments should use a sun blocker that should be erected when dusk approaches, so that either the entire playing field is lit or all of it is in the shade.

The ceremony also featured the "Don't be too sad, I went through some rough ones as well, one on this court last year." / "Yeah but you had already won five!" / "I already won five, but still!" exchange, which is light and playful as compared to the lowest point (and another potential match to answer the question) in tennis ceremonies that I remember, the condescending "Very quickly, he wants to say hello [in Spanish] to his friends here and in Argentina" to Del Potro in 2008, almost denying the champion the chance to give his speech in his native tongue. At least the MC was aptly named for that one.

And, of course, the ugliest occurrence in tennis matches by an infinite margin over everything else so far was when Szeles was stabbed, and then the German courts gave the assassin... the figurative equivalent of a "good job" pat on the back instead of throwing him in the slammer for a virtual eternity for pre-planned, attempted murder. Though that one, being a women's match, does not strictly qualify here.
I honestly think Roddick should鈥檝e won Wimby 2009 and part of me actually wishes he did despite being a Federer fan cause you could just see the heartbreak in him after that loss.

Banned
Without a doubt the 40-15 chokes in USO 11 and Wimby 19. Fed lost some other matches that were heartbreaking but those 2 were the ones I saw live and were just hard to watch.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts