Mens Tennis Forums banner

What Top 100 players will retire in 2021?

1K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  bilentsob 
#1 ·
Example Kyrgios don't play..

#3 ·
A decent thread Marvin!

I was thinking about this actually how really, nobody has retired lately, it's just the same dudes still plugging away. I mean really the only big official retirement this year was Steve Darcis. (Bryan bros and Leander Paes in doubles too)

I think there are so many guys playing that are 32 years old+ plus the pandemic we'll see a massive amount of guys leave the tour in the next 12 months.

Also - MaratanMilos - I read a few weeks back that Lopez publicly stated he has no intention of quitting and will be playing next year.

#13 ·
Yeah it's funny it seems nowadays nobody really "retires" they just keep playing until their ranking doesn't allow them to anymore. If you look at challenger lists, it's basically all guys that are 32 years old or older that used to be top 50.

Basically nobody burns out, they just fade away.

#17 ·
there are a few catgories that spring to mind

forced to retire
  • career ending injuries: assume murray and del potro
  • ranking slipped outside the top 100 and cant get into the slams: karlovic etc

dont want it anymore
- I recall one player (forget who) saying that what drives you to retirement isnt so much your ranking sliding but losing to players you used to beat: cilic, kohlschreiber, tsonga, gasquet

versus those who probably should retire but love playing or need the money: simon (?), verdasco (?), anderson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.