Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
A decent thread Marvin!

I was thinking about this actually how really, nobody has retired lately, it's just the same dudes still plugging away. I mean really the only big official retirement this year was Steve Darcis. (Bryan bros and Leander Paes in doubles too)

I think there are so many guys playing that are 32 years old+ plus the pandemic we'll see a massive amount of guys leave the tour in the next 12 months.

Also - MaratanMilos - I read a few weeks back that Lopez publicly stated he has no intention of quitting and will be playing next year.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i definitely think Tsonga and maybe Stan . I also think that Del Po will eventually decides it s not worth it and also retires.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Among the possibilities : Tsonga, Gasquet, Kohlschreiber, Feliciano Lopez, Verdasco. Karlovic, finally ?
Del Potro ? It will depend on his knee. I think Stan is near the end too.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Among the possibilities : Tsonga, Gasquet, Kohlschreiber, Feliciano Lopez, Verdasco. Karlovic, finally ?
FLopez, Verdasco and Karlovic all have plans to play as long as possible, they don't do a full schedule and also play doubles (Lopez+Verdasco), so they will definitely not retire.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Verdasco, Kohlscreiber, Murray, Lopez, Seppi, Kyrigos, Del Potro, Isner, Gasquet, Cuevas, Chardy. Those are my picks. We should compare lists come December 2021.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yeah it's funny it seems nowadays nobody really "retires" they just keep playing until their ranking doesn't allow them to anymore. If you look at challenger lists, it's basically all guys that are 32 years old or older that used to be top 50.

Basically nobody burns out, they just fade away.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about Mahut? He didn't say about his retirement still but played only before Covid! Still he retired (in singles) player now?

·
Registered
17,801 Posts
Don't actually think anyone will.

Mahut yea but he isn't top 100

·
Registered
665 Posts
there are a few catgories that spring to mind

forced to retire
  • career ending injuries: assume murray and del potro
  • ranking slipped outside the top 100 and cant get into the slams: karlovic etc

dont want it anymore
- I recall one player (forget who) saying that what drives you to retirement isnt so much your ranking sliding but losing to players you used to beat: cilic, kohlschreiber, tsonga, gasquet

versus those who probably should retire but love playing or need the money: simon (?), verdasco (?), anderson

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
kohlschreiber, feli lopez, seppi, karlovic, maybe verdasco

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
I don't see any of these players retiring. I feel that this won't happen until 2022, at the earliest. Just a guess :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
What about Federer? If he gets another injury while playing, I'm certain he'll call it quits instead of opting for treatment or surgery.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts