Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's discuss about music :music:

For me there is a couple of songs, but I think the ones who impressed me the most in the first moment are
Mr Tambourine Man - Bob Dylan
The Angry Mob - Kaiser Chiefs
Champagne Supernova - Oasis
and a lot of Pink Floyd ones, like Wish You Were Here and In The Flesh

In albums is kinda hard to choose one, but Beatles' Revolver completely changed my way of listening to music

So, what song and album impressed you the most the first time you listened to it?

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
The 3 Portishead albums.
Most of the Kraftwerk works.
The last 2 studio albums by The Knife, Silent Shout and Shaking the Habitual most notably.
Kate Bush. (The Dreaming and Hounds of Love being her absolute masterpieces)
Although they have many flaws, those 2 albums by Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works 85-92 and Richard D. James Album
Björk's Holy Trinity consisting of Post, Homogenic and Vespertine
M.I.A.'s Kala.
Joanna Newsom and her last two Have One on Me and Ys
Madvillain (consisting of Madlib and MF DOOM) and the exclusive duo's Madvillainy

... More TBA

And that's only for the albums.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
Master of Puppets
Reign in Blood

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Please bear in mind; these are songs/albums I immediately responded to (far as I remember). Then there are songs which you begin to like after listening two or three times.

Songs:
Cantara - Dead Can Dance (Most haunting track ever!)
Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush (Melodic vocals, dramatic lyrics)
One - Metallica
Winds of Change - Scorpions
All the young dude - Mott the Hoople
There is a light and it never goes out - The Smiths
Where the streets have no name - U2
Storm - Vivaldi
9th Symphony, Turkish March - Beethoven

Album:
Richie Sambora - Stranger in this town (Massively underrated rock album - recommended!)

...Will keep adding as I remember

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Too many to make a list!

So I'll answer the question the other way around, if you don't mind...
Here some classic albums that I bored me/left me disinterested the first time I heard them but then blew my mind and that I absolutely love now:
Spirit of eden - Talk Talk
Blonde on blonde - Bob Dylan
There's a riot going on - Sly and the Family stone

I'm not talking about Loveless because it supposed to sound like a hair-dryer the first times. Same thing with Psychocandy.

·
Registered
696 Posts
^I thought Loveless sounded great the first time I heard it,but then I'd heard some of that shoegazing stuff before

A couple that come to mind:
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin.

I'm sure there's loads more,but it's 3am and I should be off to bed...

·
Registered
5,667 Posts

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Deep Purple Highway Star.

http://youtu.be/UNQKf-JIPVI

I liked the song, but even more I was amazed how fast Richie Blackmore can play his solo . Later I learned hard way that Jon Lord organ solo was even more difficult to play.

Now everyone and their grandma tries to play this and to upload it in youtube.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
:worship: such a fantastic album. This is probably my favourite Muse song. I'll go with Origin of Symmetry as well, ridiculous album (miss those days so much)

Björk's Holy Trinity consisting of Post, Homogenic and Vespertine

And that's only for the albums.
If I had to pick an album, it's definitely Vespertine, as I discovered her first five (after-Sugarcubes) albums at the same time (when I got internet access). Songs are the ones my mom had on cassettes :haha: Army of Me, Hyperballad, It's Oh so Quiet and Human Behaviour.

But this one is probably my favourite album of all time, and fits this thread to a tee.
Arcade Fire's Funeral, just an incredibly passionate work. Their other three albums are brilliant in their different ways, but nothing ever tops this one.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
It's so funny, you take a tour in GM and everyone seems 16-18, you go to NT and suddenly everyone is 45, with deep classical understanding of music :lol:

On topic though - Rudimental - Home

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Black Dog - Led Zeppelin. I was born for good music that day.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
It's so funny, you take a tour in GM and everyone seems 16-18, you go to NT and suddenly everyone is 45, with deep classical understanding of music :lol:

On topic though - Rudimental - Home
:haha: Too true!
But you know what, I think it's still mostly honest! Because of the immediate exposure we get through the net these days. I've myself gone and added a few classical numbers I enjoyed on the first listening in my post above.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Honestly, I am 55 and I dont need "new" music. It all seems crap to me.There are few song made after 1990 which interest me , but very few.I have hundreds of songs from 1960-ies to 1990ies and that is enough for me.Pretty much same goes to movies. I am still going to watch dozens of oldtimers which I didnt see when they came out. I tried to watch some modern stuff like Avatar, but it was so annoying and boring that I left after 15 minutes.Even Tarantino`s last movie looked sub-par and I felt disappointed.

That said, I can watch Redford and Poitier in Sneakers( 1992 ) several times and it never gets old.Same goes to dozens of other old movies. There is something seriously wrong with me OR there is something seriously wrong with modern production of Hollywood, it is just not interesting.

http://youtu.be/F5bAa6gFvLs

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
The Smiths - S/T

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush (Melodic vocals, dramatic lyrics)
:worship:

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
Beach Boys - God Only Knows
You Am I - Berlin Chair
Salyu (Lily Chou Chou) - Wounds that Heal
No Doubt - Don't Speak
Daft Punk - Touch

That last song by Daft Punk feels like a Disney film rolled into a song for me.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Nas - Illmatic
Eric B & Rakim - Follow The Leader
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d City

Plenty more but these are my top 3.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

the first song that got me into music