Mens Tennis Forums banner

?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Definitely, another early exit third year in a row is not acceptable. He needs points BADLY at Wimbledon to secure his #1, before the US series, to have a some credit.

Nadal HAS TO play Halle this year, practice there, lose Brown, doesn't matter. He must meet grass early, not repeat his mistakes this year. Thus, he already lost early both in MC and Barcelona. And only lost 2 sets at RG. Not fatigued that much like last year.

He used to be great grass court player, 2 Wimbledon titles is not nothing. Could Rafa overcome his recent trend in London? What do you expect?

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
The fake knee excuse if he loses again.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I wouldn't presume to expect anything given the last two years. And I'm sure that RG took a lot out of him physically even if none of his matches were super long (how long was the final out of interest?). I think he'll turn up to Halle, maybe win one match, then all bets are off at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
He won't do it 3 times in a row. So he'll likely reach at least SF. NO.1 ranking is secure no matter what happens.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I expect him to win there. He will have that extra power in the second week and should be capable of beating Murray/Federer(nid?)/Djokovic there

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I don't think Nadal is physically fit. If he truly is still struggling with the back, Wimbledon is going to make that worse because of the much lower bounce. And his server being inconsistent will also make things much harder. He can't win the early rounds from the baseline. I think we've seen that the last two years.

So i expect an early exit but if he can get his serve consistent, he might go deeper. I'd love to see him play Murray (though I don't think Rafa can beat him on grass now). I'd just like Rafa to pick up some points because he can't defend all his hard court points. It's not going to happen.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
Depends on how hes feeling and who he playes.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Rafa needs to flatten his shots because the grass cannot absorb topspin well especially in the first week when grass is still green and alive.

·
Banned
2,797 Posts
I will be happy if he does enough to retain the #1.

I don't bet on him winning more titles in Wimbledon.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The first week draw is key for him.He will have his chances should he get to the quarters but the first couple of rounds were always a problem for him.Even when he reached the finals he had to survive some 5-setters early on.
Any big hitter can give him trouble and guys like Youzhny,Kohlschreiber,Stepanek and so on are also dangerous.
A few average clay courters + the likes of Fognini,Monfils and he will settle for the draw. :lol:

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Depends on his body and depends if he gets any players that are well-suited to the grass-game. Big servers and SV guys can do some serious damage against him here He's lost his familiarity with grass court in recent years, no longer the giant threat he use to be in the past. A much different player now. A combination of physical beat down fatigue after putting 110% in Roland Garros + players suitable for grass should put an end to him in the 4th round.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I picked champion because I won't doubt him anymore.

Reallisically, only Murray and Djokovic can beat him. Nadal has now reached full confidence.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts