Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
justice for all
16,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been over 37 years of drought now. 37 years since the famous run of Yannik Noah at Roland Garros 1983.
It's been way too long bearing in mind gigantic financial investments FFT incurred into tennis promotion .

So what should Fédération Française de Tennis do to finally breed a new men's singles slam champion?

What's wrong with their strategy regarding tennis? They've always had many good players, on numerous occasions they were the most represented country in the TOP100. But they rarely had slam contenders. In the past 20 years only Arnaud Clement (AO 2001 lost in straight sets to Agassi) and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (2008 - lost to Djokovic) made slam finals + occasional slam SF-s.

On the other hand their prominent neighbours had plenty of success. It's not only the great Rafael Nadal Parera with his illustrious resume of 19 slams most likely yet to be extended but also many others: Sergi Bruguera (2 slams), Carlos Moyá (1 slam), Juan Carlos Ferrero (1 slam), Albert Costa (1 slam), so a total 24 slams and soon to be more.

So is the only way to bring up a new slam champion for France send little kids to train in Spain? (I know it sounds harsh but I'm not kidding by any means - Murray used to train in Spain when he was young and yes it proved to be a successful solution for UK)

I'd like to hear form MTF experts (especially French users) - what is the solution for the future?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The French seem to product shot makers, flashy players or pushers such as Monfils, Tsonga, Gasquet and Simon.

Those styles can't win 7 matches in a row to win a GS.

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
The issue is French tennis had a golden generation of tennis players when the Big3 emerged, undoubtedly the three greatest players of all time. Otherwise they would have won at least one Slam

Reactions: bilentsob

·
Registered
878 Posts
Routine lobotomy's for French players. Your solution is a good one though.

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
Even that Noah’s run was a huge fluke so they are lucky they got that one

it’s the same with UK and France: they produce great juniors and so on but they fail during the transition big time. We can name for example oli golding , JWH or liam broady. The pressure of having a GS in the country Is there because these 4 countries, always the same(besides US and sometimes Australia but also their juniors are more successful than they are on the tour later on)

Reactions: guitarra

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
The French seem to product shot makers, flashy players or pushers such as Monfils, Tsonga, Gasquet and Simon.

Those styles can't win 7 matches in a row to win a GS.
According to MTF, all the players in atp are either shot makers, flashy players or pushers anyway

Reactions: jojjeshruk

·
Registered
21,934 Posts
Test on doping during Roland Garros, like they did in 2009

·
Banned
70,519 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Let's see how far Harold Mayot can go. He has more potential than Lucas Pouille, Corentin Moutet or Ugo Humbert.
Pressure from the media has always been immense in France for the newcomers, it is a part of the problem. In other countries, where there tennis is not such a tradition, it is easier to grow and the media won't bother you that much. In Spain for instance, tennis is less popular or important than in France.
I think they need a guy with skills but mostly with a rock mental. Tsonga was unfortunate with so many injuries and to play with the big 4. Monfils had the potential of GS winner but was a clown mentally and Richard Gasquet was limited physically and not enough powerful.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
The OP forgot to mention that it's 27 years in base-15 numeral system.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Even that Noah’s run was a huge fluke so they are lucky they got that one

it’s the same with UK and France: they produce great juniors and so on but they fail during the transition big time. We can name for example oli golding , JWH or liam broady. The pressure of having a GS in the country Is there because these 4 countries, always the same(besides US and sometimes Australia but also their juniors are more successful than they are on the tour later on)
Wilander most regretted lost is the one to Noah in the FO 1983.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
It's been over 27 years of drought now. 27 years since the famous run of Yannik Noah at Roland Garros 1983.
It's been way too long bearing in mind gigantic financial investments FFT incurred into tennis promotion .

So what should Fédération Française de Tennis do to finally breed a new men's singles slam champion?

What's wrong with their strategy regarding tennis? They've always had many good players, on numerous occasions they were the most represented country in the TOP100. But they rarely had slam contenders. In the past 20 years only Arnaud Clement (AO 2001 lost in straight sets to Agassi) and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (2008 - lost to Djokovic) made slam finals + occasional slam SF-s.

On the other hand their prominent neighbours had plenty of success. It's not only the great Rafael Nadal Parera with his illustrious resume of 19 slams most likely yet to be extended but also many others: Sergi Bruguera (2 slams), Carlos Moyá (1 slam), Juan Carlos Ferrero (1 slam), Albert Costa (1 slam), so a total 24 slams and soon to be more.

So is the only way to bring up a new slam champion for France send little kids to train in Spain? (I know it sounds harsh but I'm not kidding by any means - Murray used to train in Spain when he was young and yes it proved to be a successful solution for UK)

I'd like to hear form MTF experts (especially French users) - what is the solution for the future?
Abolish Spain? Sorry, Napoleon tried that and got kicked in the arse 🤷‍♂️

I see no solution really. When you can't, you just can't.

·
Registered
21,934 Posts
Did a French player win FO 2009? Lol
It was on Gicquel's racquet.

On a serious note, a big problem with French players seems to be the mental side of tennis. How are they addressing that? It's probably THE most important aspect of tennis and mental coaching is a must these days. Two years ago I was playing the Dutch #2 U12 (lol) and he was on a one-week mental training camp organized by the Dutch Tennis Association. When I was a kid I had exactly zero hours of mental training

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
49,320 Posts
37 years you mean

It was on Gicquel's racquet.

On a serious note, a big problem with French players seems to be the mental side of tennis. How are they addressing that? It's probably THE most important aspect of tennis and mental coaching is a must these days. Two years ago I was playing the Dutch #2 U12 (lol) and he was on a one-week mental training camp organized by the Dutch Tennis Association. When I was a kid I had exactly zero hours of mental training
Ha for real. There was no mental training back in the day. We got our asses kicked. Whether or not you had guts to come to practice the next day was the mental challenge. And this was just early 2000s/late 90s when I was in other sports than tennis.

Level of coddling of kids nowadays is sickening. If I ever have kids, they will be taught as Zen Gladiators of Life and Sport since Day 1, none of this babying bullshit. This is Sparta etc

·
Registered
878 Posts
37 years you mean

Ha for real. There was no mental training back in the day. We got our asses kicked. Whether or not you had guts to come to practice the next day was the mental challenge. And this was just early 2000s/late 90s when I was in other sports than tennis.

Level of coddling of kids nowadays is sickening. If I ever have kids, they will be taught as Zen Gladiators of Life and Sport since Day 1, none of this babying bullshit. This is Sparta etc
Here's a good teaching aid. Just change the nationality. Ban pre match music:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts