Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man, i can't wait for the games to start!

this sunday's gonna kill me. nothing to do, got the university work done in a hurry during the last weeks just to have some time off for the fluffy balls and now this stupid weekend with just eager anticipation...

how do you european guys manage the work/student life in the next two weeks actually? i mean, the us open are alright but the aussies' tv schedule has always been bad, starting in the middle of the night going til noon. usually i try to catch the night session (which is 9.30 am cet) and set the alarm clock if some great match is on during the night. last year i wasn't able to because i had some important lectures in january so i just caught a glimpse of the night session. this year it's alright because i got a lot done during the christmas season, so i'm pretty much off in the first week (though i have to do stuff on friday). a girl that lives downstairs in my building is a haas fan, so unfortunately she won't come over this time :sad: ... the guy i usually watch tennis with will probably come watch the night sessions or maybe i'm going over there.

how's your schedule? do you take time off or just work the way you're used to and watch re-runs in the evening?

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
I'm sorry, but I read these posts and laugh. In Australia, we got no Roland Garros coverage. Wimbledon starts at 10:30pm and finishes about 6am, and US Open starts at 2am for us. For Wimbledon I get 2 weeks of having no sleep whatsoever. US Open is often just worth recording. It's kind of nice to see the tables are turned for once. I'm sorry, I dont mean to sound like a bitch.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
i can't wait too. it's my most favorite tournament and time of the year because it's played in AUSTRALIA my favorite continent.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry, but I read these posts and laugh. In Australia, we got no Roland Garros coverage. Wimbledon starts at 10:30pm and finishes about 6am, and US Open starts at 2am for us. For Wimbledon I get 2 weeks of having no sleep whatsoever. US Open is often just worth recording. It's kind of nice to see the tables are turned for once. I'm sorry, I dont mean to sound like a bitch.
no problem, you have every right to brag about this. ;)

as lovely as australia seems to be (living conditions etc.), living down under obviously really sucks concerning world sport live events, i understand that.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
how do you european guys manage the work/student life in the next two weeks actually? i mean, the us open are alright but the aussies' tv schedule has always been bad, starting in the middle of the night going til noon. usually i try to catch the night session (which is 9.30 am cet) and set the alarm clock if some great match is on during the night. last year i wasn't able to because i had some important lectures in january so i just caught a glimpse of the night session. this year it's alright because i got a lot done during the christmas season, so i'm pretty much off in the first week (though i have to do stuff on friday). a girl that lives downstairs in my building is a haas fan, so unfortunately she won't come over this time :sad: ... the guy i usually watch tennis with will probably come watch the night sessions or maybe i'm going over there.

how's your schedule? do you take time off or just work the way you're used to and watch re-runs in the evening?
except on the weekends i don't think i can watch many matches. i've the busiest months of my life in front of me.

but probably you can do some work for me if you have nothing to do now :p

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
I generally spend 2 weeks in some sort of Kafka-esque nightmare, where time seems distorted, images are too bright and I lose all sense of rational judgement, snatching at what sleep I can.

Oh and there's great tennis too :)

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Well, I spend two weeks being sleep deprivated. I usually stay awake to watch the first matches than go to sleep for a bit and catch some of the matches early in the morning before work. An hopefully the Eurosport on demand matches will be working so I can catch the matches I missed during the day in the afternoon. And than the whole cycle starts all over again.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm going to get up and go to the tennis.

PS I just got tickets 5 rows back on Mon 21st Rod Laver Day Session for $80 on the eve on the Open. It's a top half day, and if it's Nalbandian Ferrer like I planned it would be, I WILL make a big song and dance about how good I am.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
man, i can't wait for the games to start!

this sunday's gonna kill me. nothing to do, got the university work done in a hurry during the last weeks just to have some time off for the fluffy balls and now this stupid weekend with just eager anticipation...

Europeans aren't the only ones who face such dilemmas for the Aussie Open. :( ;)

(I'll watch as much live coverage as I can this year, even if that means staying awake at odd hours.)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm still home on my college winter break, but none of my friends are. Basically, I'll have nothing to do the whole week and I will be glued to the TV and my laptop every night starting 7pm EST.

2nd semester starts during the second week, so I'll have class, homework, and work to contend with, but they won't interfere with my tennis watching too much. I don't have class until 11 am so staying up to watch matches is not a problem.

I can't wait for the action to start.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Sadly, with a full-time job and a mortgage to pay I don't see much AO at all apart from at weekends :sad: I have to get up at 5.30am to leave the house at 6.30am and start work at 7.30am, so staying up all night is not an option because I need my sleep or else I would be ill and I can't afford to lose my job :shrug: So I see about an hour on Eurosport in the morning (in between having a shower, getting dressed and eating breakfast), and then follow live scores once I get to work. I have one spare day's annual leave that I might take if any of my faves get a night match or whatever, but really I prefer to save my holiday for going to live tennis such as Roland Garros, Rome, Monte Carlo etc so it does kind of pass me by apart from in a virtual Internet-based world of YouTube, match reports here and live scores.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sadly, with a full-time job and a mortgage to pay I don't see much AO at all apart from at weekends :sad: I have to get up at 5.30am to leave the house at 6.30am and start work at 7.30am, so staying up all night is not an option because I need my sleep or else I would be ill and I can't afford to lose my job :shrug: So I see about an hour on Eurosport in the morning (in between having a shower, getting dressed and eating breakfast), and then follow live scores once I get to work. I have one spare day's annual leave that I might take if any of my faves get a night match or whatever, but really I prefer to save my holiday for going to live tennis such as Roland Garros, Rome, Monte Carlo etc so it does kind of pass me by apart from in a virtual Internet-based world of YouTube, match reports here and live scores.
I feel your pain. This is exactly why I'm trying to enjoy all of the tennis coverage that I possibly can now while I have the free time to watch it. Next year when I graduate, I'll have to get a real job :( and it'll be hard to keep up.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I feel your pain. This is exactly why I'm trying to enjoy all of the tennis coverage that I possibly can now while I have the free time to watch it. Next year when I graduate, I'll have to get a real job :( and it'll be hard to keep up.
Yes definitely enjoy it while you can! I am currently experiencing my first year of not being able to attend the AO every day, as I just got my first full time job about a month ago. I managed to get two days off work for the first week, with difficulty, and I could only go to the qualifying after work. When it starts I won't even be able to watch the day matches on TV. Working sucks!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'm free for the first week of the AO:D It'll be on from 00:00 till 13:00 so it's time for my life to be turned upside down! For the second week I go back to college... my attendance may be somewhat (or extremely) poor during that week:D :lol:
My stomach's in knots!
10 hours and 46 minutes to go!!!!

EDIT: This will be my first AO, as this is the first year that I've had Eurosport. Now 10 Hours and 41 minutes to go!
I feel for you people who can't watch it:sad:, hopefully you'll get to see the matches replayed or on the tennis torrents website, although I know most of you would rather see it live... it's a cruel world:lol:
But seriously, I kinda know how you feel, this time last year I felt lost :awww: :hug:
NOW 10 HOURS AND 34 MINUTES TO GO! (sorry)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
lucky for me I'm not taking class until late February and I'm already in the habit of sleeping at 5am :) I'll be watching every match muahaha

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts
I am using up all my leftover time off from work that I have to use before February and I have off for the entire first week :rocker2:

When I was still in college though I had some crazy lifestyle of sleeping from 2 pm - 8 pm and then being awake the rest of the time :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
DVR baby. DVR ;) :p

1 - 20 of 89 Posts